The Gun Control Free Zone

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 23, 2017 10:28 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 am
Congrats Thunk! Pics of the M31 are in order.
Yup!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:28 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Yup!
Hopefully by next week I find the time to clean it all up, then I'll take the spaniels on a pigeon training hunt and have them do some modeling with it. :D

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Yup!
Hopefully by next week I find the time to clean it all up, then I'll take the spaniels on a pigeon training hunt and have them do some modeling with it. :D
Can't wait!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 am
Jocose wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:15 am
Thunk thunk thunk.
What Mr. Bumblehead?
You are crazy.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm
Thunktank wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Yup!
Can't wait!
Here you go! I had a few hours off this morning so I took the dogs out to train. I'll take some more close ups this weekend.

It's always a bit nerve wracking to shoot an old gun for the first time. But it worked and here Huck is retrieving the bird he flushed to give the gun it's first job in my hands. The shotgun fired and ejected just fine. It's good to get an old shotgun back to work!

I still haven't disassembled it for a deep cleaning yet, will do it this weekend. Will also load a hundred practice loads for the sporting clays range. My son gets to use my other 16 gauge.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm
Thunktank wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Yup!
Can't wait!
Here you go! I had a few hours off this morning so I took the dogs out to train. I'll take some more close ups this weekend.

It's always a bit nerve wracking to shoot an old gun for the first time. But it worked and here Huck is retrieving the bird he flushed to give the gun it's first job in my hands. The shotgun fired and ejected just fine. It's good to get an old shotgun back to work!

I still haven't disassembled it for a deep cleaning yet, will do it this weekend. Will also load a hundred practice loads for the sporting clays range. My son gets to use my other 16 gauge.
Hard to take my eyes off those beautiful pups to give the M31 a gander, but somehow I managed.
Beautiful shotgun. With the checkered forestock they are especially lovely, and the smoothness of the slide is legendary.

Enjoy it!
Thanks for posting the wonderful photos.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks durango, the dogs are worth more to me than any shotgun. Pure joy they are. They are big cockers for sure. The eight month old pup is 38 lbs, not fat. He will end up over 40 lbs once the muscle develops all the way, full on Springer sized. My wife met both of his parents, they were 28 and 32lbs respectively. The breeder said he was the "bruiser of the litter." My wife wanted small gun dogs. She didn't quite get it. But the pup is really impressing me. He learns so fast and really uses his nose well. I don't have time to field trial, but maybe I should, though his size might upset some, they will really want to see his pedigree. I took a closer look too on account of his size. I suspected that he might be a Sprocker. But there is no evidence of that, though many trial judges in England suspect that the practice is widespread and kept under wraps in the big kennels. He has a pedigree from some of England's hottest lines.Who knows? He is bigger than his parents though and acts 100 percent Cocker, which is a little different than a Springer. The use of his nose only confirms that hunch that I have, that he is just a big Cocker, nothing more.

The action on the Model 31 is uniquely smooth, unlike any other I've used. I did get to work the action in the heat of the moment, it was nice and seamless. I tried using an autoloader before and only tried to work the slide. Actions like this make autoloaders unwanted. It's as fast as it needs to be. But one thing about the shotguns from that era that I really appreciate is how little bulk there is in the fore ends in comparison to more modern slide action shotguns. Just slim and trim.

Meanwhile this Ithaca 37 16 gaug is taunting me at a local pawn shop:

I'll have a 16 for all three of us this way. :lol:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 pm
Thanks durango, the dogs are worth more to me than any shotgun. Pure joy they are. They are big cockers for sure. The eight month old pup is 38 lbs, not fat. He will end up over 40 lbs once the muscle develops all the way, full on Springer sized. My wife met both of his parents, they were 28 and 32lbs respectively. The breeder said he was the "bruiser of the litter." My wife wanted small gun dogs. She didn't quite get it. But the pup is really impressing me. He learns so fast and really uses his nose well. I don't have time to field trial, but maybe I should, though his size might upset some, they will really want to see his pedigree. I took a closer look too on account of his size. I suspected that he might be a Sprocker. But there is no evidence of that, though many trial judges in England suspect that the practice is widespread and kept under wraps in the big kennels. He has a pedigree from some of England's hottest lines.Who knows? He is bigger than his parents though and acts 100 percent Cocker, which is a little different than a Springer. The use of his nose only confirms that hunch that I have, that he is just a big Cocker, nothing more.

The action on the Model 31 is uniquely smooth, unlike any other I've used. I did get to work the action in the heat of the moment, it was nice and seamless. I tried using an autoloader before and only tried to work the slide. Actions like this make autoloaders unwanted. It's as fast as it needs to be. But one thing about the shotguns from that era that I really appreciate is how little bulk there is in the fore ends in comparison to more modern slide action shotguns. Just slim and trim.

Meanwhile this Ithaca 37 16 gaug is taunting me at a local pawn shop:

I'll have a 16 for all three of us this way. :lol:
Oh dear. Another PAD.
Pump acquisition disorder.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Nice guns, and very nice-looking dogs, Thunk.

I've noticed that M37s became very popular in the last 5 years-or-so; or perhaps further back a couple of years. People are collecting them all in all gauges. In fact I got a pretty good deal on my Beretta sxs 20 from a guy that was selling in order to buy M37s. I like them ok, and used to duck hunt back in the late 60s - very early 70s with a guy that was deadly with an old M37. Everything about it was loose; and hulls ejecting downward from the bottom annoyed me. Was very light and kicked like a mule. Classic gun, though.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Oh dear. Another PAD.
:lol:
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 pm

I've noticed that M37s became very popular in the last 5 years-or-so; or perhaps further back a couple of years. People are collecting them all in all gauges. In fact I got a pretty good deal on my Beretta sxs 20 from a guy that was selling in order to buy M37s. I like them ok, and used to duck hunt back in the late 60s - very early 70s with a guy that was deadly with an old M37. Everything about it was loose; and hulls ejecting downward from the bottom annoyed me. Was very light and kicked like a mule. Classic gun, though.
I hunted with my Dad's M37 16 gauge in the 80's, it was my favorite hunting shotgun for grouse and pheasant. These days it would be nice for quail and chukar too. It wouldn't be my first choice for ducks. My Dad rarely carried it, preferring his Wingmaster. He shoots doubles and autoloaders now. The M37 is definitely not a good range gun, but the bottom ejection is nice to me. Makes finding spent hulls easy, I like that feature on my Browning BPS. I also have two left handed kids. . . Anyway, that M37'went to my younger brother, I've been trying to talk him out of it for the last 20 years.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Oh dear. Another PAD.
sweetandsour wrote:

I hunted with my Dad's M37 16 gauge in the 80's, it was my favorite hunting shotgun for grouse and pheasant. These days it would be nice for quail and chukar too. It wouldn't be my first choice for ducks. My Dad rarely carried it, preferring his Wingmaster. He shoots doubles and autoloaders now. The M37 is definitely not a good range gun, but the bottom ejection is nice to me. Makes finding spent hulls easy, I like that feature on my Browning BPS. I also have two left handed kids. . . Anyway, that M37'went to my younger brother, I've been trying to talk him out of it for the last 20 years.
Good luck with that M37 retrieval. I've been trying to get an old Parker from a certain family member for years.

I know the practicality of bottom eject, but just never liked hulls being dropped at my feet, or down a hip boot, etc. It's just me. But I sure like their looks. If my old JC Higgins was a 16 instead of a 12 it would be my dove and snipe gun, but only without steel shot ... Lead only. Bismuth may work for snipe, but would be very expensive for me to use for doves!

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am
Thunktank wrote:
Oh dear. Another PAD.
sweetandsour wrote:

Good luck with that M37 retrieval. I've been trying to get an old Parker from a certain family member for years.

I know the practicality of bottom eject, but just never liked hulls being dropped at my feet, or down a hip boot, etc. It's just me. But I sure like their looks. If my old JC Higgins was a 16 instead of a 12 it would be my dove and snipe gun, but only without steel shot ... Lead only. Bismuth may work for snipe, but would be very expensive for me to use for doves!
Oh come on now, you haven't lived on the edge until you've shot a greater value of shells at game in one weekend than the what the value of the gun is worth! :clown:

Those JC Higgins M200s look mighty similar to the Remington M31s.

I weighed my Remington 31 today on my postal scale. It came in just over 6 1/2 lbs. I'm happy with that.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Oh dear. Another PAD.
sweetandsour wrote:

Oh come on now, you haven't lived on the edge until you've shot a greater value of shells at game in one weekend than the what the value of the gun is worth! :clown:

I weighed my Remington 31 today on my postal scale. It came in just over 6 1/2 lbs. I'm happy with that.
Me shoot Bismuth at doves? I'm on a fixed income. :)

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat May 27, 2017 12:54 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:32 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Oh dear. Another PAD.
sweetandsour wrote:

Me shoot Bismuth at doves? I'm on a fixed income. :)
Non-toxic is becoming the new normal for me, early season dove might be the only game where fast steel might actually outperform the other options. Other than potential risk of tooth damage caused from small steel shot not found while preparing the birds for the table, it's hardly a problem. I can use lead for opening weekend doves for two more seasons. After that, I will use my newer shotguns that are rated for steel shot for them most likely. Everything else I hunt is low volume, I will be using Bismuth, ITX and Tungsten Matrix.

Btw, Rotometal is having a good sale on Bismuth/tin alloy shot at $169.00 for 10lbs if any of you fellows reload and need non-toxic shot. I believe the current situation with Bismuth is the best compromise in performance and value going right now. Moving up one shot size and/or increasing the velocity with the new powders like Longshot, Lil gun and Steel nicely replaces traditional lead performance so that sub gauges and heavy magnum 12 gauge loads are viable options without crazy levels of recoil or stunts of overloading the bore or Shotcups. Another consideration of mine is that I want to match my hunting loads to my lead practice loads as closely as possible to help me actually hit what I'm pointing at. At close range, steel might be just fine, after about 30 yards it's a nightmare, I've discovered this already.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Shot in the dark here, but does anyone have any experience with Ruger M77 MK II?

I found an "all weather" version with stainless steel barrel, synthetic stock, a descent Nikon scope and the great .260 Remington caliber today on the used rack at a local gun shop. I'm very tempted. It would be used as a deer/hog/bear rifle for my young teen son for now, for me in a few years. I never used a Ruger rifle before. Accuracy?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:44 am

Anyone here carry at church? I've had little kids crawling on my lap for the past 18 years so it's been a no for me. My youngest is now 5 so those days are about to end. I'll have to work through the theology of it all but...
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:44 am
Anyone here carry at church? I've had little kids crawling on my lap for the past 18 years so it's been a no for me. My youngest is now 5 so those days are about to end. I'll have to work through the theology of it all but...
We had a few deacons and one elder sit by the doors every Sunday a few years back. The elder has left the church since then and I don't know if that is still the case but after the Texas shooting the elders have been talking about getting a few members trained for such a situation.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 am

Cleon wrote:
I do. Not because church is any more or different of a threat, but because I try to carry everywhere I'm allowed.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Cleon wrote:
It probably shouldn't be in this particular thread (just to keep the lines clean), but I'm curious where you find the theology challenging.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:31 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm
Cleon wrote:
It probably shouldn't be in this particular thread (just to keep the lines clean), but I'm curious where you find the theology challenging.
It's the offending the conscience of others. I know there are a few people, one Elder included, that is opposed to carrying in church.

I'd rather carry, though, than lock the doors before the service starts.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH