Anyone trying to lose some weight?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Anyone trying to lose some weight?

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:19 pm

TheImpudent wrote:
coco wrote:The stomach virus has hit the school. I do not recommend it as a means to loose weight.
Ahem.
If only we could lose the Impudent again. I hate that sock.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:53 pm

I try very hard to hate food and love exercise.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 am

Thunktank wrote:
TheImpudent wrote:
coco wrote:The stomach virus has hit the school. I do not recommend it as a means to loose weight.
Ahem.
Yes, you would. He doesn't seem to target you much, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:46 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
TheImpudent wrote:
Ahem.
Lately. :wink:

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:I've been slowly recomposing myself over the last year and a half with 30 min to 1hr of strength training in morning 3-4x week and cardiovascular training for 30 min to 1hr in evening 3-4x week with my wife. Eating lots of protein 6x a day. Whey powder from ON is my freind that helps me get in the high protein. Eggs whites too. I'm down around my college weight, but look better and feel better. My wife and I ran our first 5k together last month. It's nice to be able to bust out a bunch of pull ups in front of my wife. When I first started I could barely manage one or two. Funny this should come up this week since I'm slacking because of workload.
Do you do cargos at the gym?
Um, no. See, cargos are utililitarian. They hold all my stuff. I don't carry stuff when I'm working out except two big guns. And they're out all the while.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Cleon wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:I've been slowly recomposing myself over the last year and a half with 30 min to 1hr of strength training in morning 3-4x week and cardiovascular training for 30 min to 1hr in evening 3-4x week with my wife. Eating lots of protein 6x a day. Whey powder from ON is my freind that helps me get in the high protein. Eggs whites too. I'm down around my college weight, but look better and feel better. My wife and I ran our first 5k together last month. It's nice to be able to bust out a bunch of pull ups in front of my wife. When I first started I could barely manage one or two. Funny this should come up this week since I'm slacking because of workload.
Do you do cargos at the gym?
Um, no. See, cargos are utililitarian. They hold all my stuff. I don't carry stuff when I'm working out except two big guns. And they're out all the while.
There it is.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:10 pm

I am content with my weight. Lose any more and I would need to buy new clothes and that would cost money. I do need to increase strength and stamina.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:23 pm

Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
TheImpudent wrote:
Ahem.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
TheImpudent wrote:
Ahem.
Laughed aloud and then shared with the Missus.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 am

I lost 40 lbs.

I have only gained 28 of them back.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 am

The only thing that's losing weight around here is my fridge, mostly when I'm out of town. I come home hungry and tired and my food is gone.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
TheImpudent wrote:
Ahem.
Laughed aloud and then shared with the Missus.
Truth right there. More than once I wished to bop the impudent and his puppet master in the mouth over this. :lol:

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Missus Spook & I started a weight-loss/control program about 4 years ago at my suggestion. I dropped from 220lbs down to 145 in about 6 months and have more or less successfully maintained my goal weight of 150 since then. The last month or so, due to life stress (death of MIL, etc.) I slipped back up to 160, but am back down to 155 and shooting for 145 before Christmas. Staying off booze is a big part of it...when I drink, I eat... so prayers for strength there are appreciated. Missus Spook has a tougher time, as food is her retreat, but she's still down about 70lbs too. I'm trying to be a good example for her by laying off the bottle.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Well, I have to lose weight now. I thought I had a slipped disc pinching a nerve but on Friday I found out I have arthritis in my lumbar region and a bone spur is poking a nerve. Too many manual labor jobs and too many boxes of tobacco lifted improperly in the past, I guess. If I lose weight the spur should stop, they think. Otherwise, surgery. So I have to lose 40-50 lbs. That should help with the beetus as well.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:55 am

UncleBob wrote:Well, I have to lose weight now. I thought I had a slipped disc pinching a nerve but on Friday I found out I have arthritis in my lumbar region and a bone spur is poking a nerve. Too many manual labor jobs and too many boxes of tobacco lifted improperly in the past, I guess. If I lose weight the spur should stop, they think. Otherwise, surgery. So I have to lose 40-50 lbs. That should help with the beetus as well.
It WILL help with the beetus.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:18 am

UncleBob wrote:Well, I have to lose weight now. I thought I had a slipped disc pinching a nerve but on Friday I found out I have arthritis in my lumbar region and a bone spur is poking a nerve. Too many manual labor jobs and too many boxes of tobacco lifted improperly in the past, I guess. If I lose weight the spur should stop, they think. Otherwise, surgery. So I have to lose 40-50 lbs. That should help with the beetus as well.
Pulling for you, UB.

You CAN do it! :hairy cheerleader smiley:

I hate to add unsolicited advice, but...
Back trouble sucks. I have bad back problems too. And a sedentary job. And a large swath of my mom's side of the family has the beetus...like lose an eye, have a stroke, cut-off a leg beetus, so I knew I had to make some changes. I've found that taking 3-5 minutes in the morning just to stretch, first thing, really helps the back. Then, after that exercise (just 30 minutes is great). Yup, when I don't exercise my back kills me. Also, know your range of motion limits with your back. I'm sure your aware of all this.

And losing weight will make you feel great. Most of that comes through diet. It is so much more easy to control calories through your mouth than than it is through exercise. Though, they both go hand and hand, as you know. Build some muscle and you'll burn more fat.

At this point, I feel like I'm in my best shape since I was in my late teens, maybe even better, but my back still puts me down on occasion and my lipid profile is still a little high. I feel good, though.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 am

Been sitting at 195 for a good long while. I could drop 5 or 6 more.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:59 am

DepartedLight wrote:Been sitting at 195 for a good long while. I could drop 5 or 6 more.
Dangum. That's not the DL I've hung out with, way to go!
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:04 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:Been sitting at 195 for a good long while. I could drop 5 or 6 more.
Dangum. That's not the DL I've hung out with, way to go!
Oh yeah, baby. I was at my max when I saw you last. Like 250ish.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:14 am

Cleon wrote:
Pulling for you, UB.

You CAN do it! :hairy cheerleader smiley:

I hate to add unsolicited advice, but...
Back trouble sucks. I have bad back problems too. And a sedentary job. And a large swath of my mom's side of the family has the beetus...like lose an eye, have a stroke, cut-off a leg beetus, so I knew I had to make some changes. I've found that taking 3-5 minutes in the morning just to stretch, first thing, really helps the back. Then, after that exercise (just 30 minutes is great). Yup, when I don't exercise my back kills me. Also, know your range of motion limits with your back. I'm sure your aware of all this.

And losing weight will make you feel great. Most of that comes through diet. It is so much more easy to control calories through your mouth than than it is through exercise. Though, they both go hand and hand, as you know. Build some muscle and you'll burn more fat.

At this point, I feel like I'm in my best shape since I was in my late teens, maybe even better, but my back still puts me down on occasion and my lipid profile is still a little high. I feel good, though.
Thanks. I've done it before so I hope I can get it done now. I gained 50 lbs since getting married but before that I had lost 60 lbs and kept it off for 15 years. So we will see.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip