We're Building a House.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

We're Building a House.

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:21 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:Start a new thread. Seriously. Do it now. I have so many questions and so many atta-boys to throw your way.
Aight. I'll try go gather some photos of the progress together too.
So We're Building a House! Been a slow-ish progression to date (rough timeline visible via leaves in photos) but we're hoping to have the slab poured Monday or Tuesday next week and then it's all systems go to try and get the entire house enclosed before there's lots of snow.

Here's some photos of the progression:

The lot shortly after we cleared it and brought in 500yds of earth. Wish I had a photo of before the clearing: was dense woods just like the backdrop with a small pond in the middle.

Trenches dug in preparation for foundation footings:

Pouring the footings:

Footings and foundation walls poured. Dirt filled around and inside the footprint:

Under slab plumbing done earlier this week. Vapor barrier and Foam insulation down yesterday. In-floor heating pipes going in today before slab next week:
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: We're Building a House.

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:42 am

Exciting times.
Been there.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:36 pm

This has got to be really exciting and rewarding, TwoX. Congratulations!!

I once had the ideal home site picked out and paid for, but then divorce struck and even though I paid for the lot with funds from before we were married, CA community property; I had to sell it and give half to the ex-wife. Very depressing. It was an ideal location. Two acres on a hill, close to town, with a heavenly 180 degree view of pasture land.

They say "never look back," and so I try to remember not to. It was a long time ago, now.

But at least this little old Phelps Dodge Mining Co house is paid for.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm bit jealous. Enjoy the experience!

Remember, you can't have too many electrical outlets. Also, put a 220 outlet in the garage. One day you'll want some big a$$ power tools.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Many thanks!
I'm sure ya'll are right that I'll look back on this fondly but dang! Lots of work building a house primarily by yourselves.

Also, good advice Jim. That's already in the plans! :bacon:

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:23 pm

So, what's the story behind this? Tired of renting, no good existing homes, the meth lab is finally profitable? And one last one, whereyat? Still in Michigan?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:15 pm

Good luck and have fun. We started ours in Dec 2014, and closed on it in April 2015. Got to stay with the workers every step almost every day to end up with exactly what you want. Bring your measure tape with you every trip to the job site.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm

a couple of hundred dollars or less and some early planning will result in a well placed quiet smoke exhaust fan/duct for your man cave
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:42 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:a couple of hundred dollars or less and some early planning will result in a well placed quiet smoke exhaust fan/duct for your man cave
That is very insightful and practical. For many a hot or cold day, one would want to be inside.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:So, what's the story behind this? Tired of renting, no good existing homes, the meth lab is finally profitable? And one last one, whereyat? Still in Michigan?
Abbreviated story:

Our long term plan in Detroit didn't work out so we've partnered with another family in a new long term plan. That plan brought us to Holland Michigan.

Together, we're building a house in Holland that is both reasonable for the resale market and conducive to hosting 50+ people on a weekly basis. We're going after being family with our neighborhood. A Family on Mission.

F.O.M. if you will :)

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Goose55 wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:a couple of hundred dollars or less and some early planning will result in a well placed quiet smoke exhaust fan/duct for your man cave
That is very insightful and practical. For many a hot or cold day, one would want to be inside.
We have way more acreage than I am used to. So I'm currently thinking of building a "smoking yurt" that can host a weekly pipe club....

I am, however, open to any critiques or recommendations!
Last edited by TwoXseveN on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:So, what's the story behind this? Tired of renting, no good existing homes, the meth lab is finally profitable? And one last one, whereyat? Still in Michigan?

To add more specific context to the "tired of renting, no good existing homes, the meth lab is finally profitable" convo......

Sorta all of that.

Two years ago, we bought a house in Detroit for $7,500 (Was the first time we were sick of renting and no, that's not a typo). Between the purchase and selling point, drug dealers moved in and were squatting the home. Took 8 months to get them out (Detroit PD not quick to respond unless shots have both been fired and landed).

After we finally got the squatters out, God had clearly told us that our long term plan in the city wasn't what our expectations were. We moved forward asking, "What is God saying to us here, and what are we gonna do about it?".
That turned out to be: Fixing the house up and selling it before even knowing what was next (sold it for a heckuva profit #PatsSelfAndGodOnBack).

There were several other steps between selling the Detroit house and moving to Holland but that is a decently lengthy tale for another time.

So yeah, moral of the story: The literal meth lab I cleaned up in the basement may have been a legitimate part in our new house build :)

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:57 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Abbreviated story:

Our long term plan in Detroit didn't work out so we've partnered with another family in a new long term plan. That plan brought us to Holland Michigan.

Together, we're building a house in Holland that is both reasonable for the resale market and conducive to hosting 50+ people on a weekly basis. We're going after being family with our neighborhood. A Family on Mission.

F.O.M. if you will :)
I'm not sure I quite follow all of this correctly; but it reminds me of two couples that my wife and I know, that share a house. All are retired school teachers from the same school, and all the children are grown. One couple has one end of the house, and the other couple, the opposite end. There's a large kitchen and den in the middle that is shared. Economically I guess it works out great; but I have yet to meet any couple (even those that we're very close with) that I would make a commitment like that with. That could change as we get older though I guess.

Anyway, apologies if I'm getting way off topic in your thread. I'm not surprised at your experience in Detroit. Wow. I used to visit Detroit fairly often, and worked for a while at a plant in River Rouge. There used to be some pretty interesting restaurants in the area, though, that I enjoyed.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Tons of respect here. I've cohabited twice with another couple (different couple each time) and it was great. To have a real mission-minded reason behind it is beyond honorable. Please share more if you feel like it, even if in a PM.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From Thunktank Sig: Hail! John Boy, the chief moderator and title changer. :pipe3:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:59 am

Wow. This looks awesome... (since I don't have any of the headaches, just the experience of living through the pics).

One quick question: Did you build your house on a pond? No basement, I assume?
Sola Deo Gloria

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Finished the in-floor heating roughly 13 seconds before the mud showed up :)

Get to start framing this week :bacon:

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Gabriel wrote:Wow. This looks awesome... (since I don't have any of the headaches, just the experience of living through the pics).

One quick question: Did you build your house on a pond? No basement, I assume?
Basically. We're right up next to Lake Michigan.
The water table is too high for a full basement.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:Tons of respect here. I've cohabited twice with another couple (different couple each time) and it was great. To have a real mission-minded reason behind it is beyond honorable. Please share more if you feel like it, even if in a PM.
Will do!

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 pm

First day of framing today.
Got all first floor outer walls up (sorry only took a photo of when we had three) and the majority of OSB done.

This was probs 3/4 of the way.