We're Building a House.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Re: RE: Re: We're Building a House.

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed May 31, 2017 2:11 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 2:09 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:Wow that looks so amazing. Will say a prayer this morning.
Amen

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thom.

Inspector just left, we got occupancy approved!

Moving tomorrow !!!
Right on!

Rager at 14's place this Saturday everyone!!!
I'm in!
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

We're Building a House.

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:51 am

Moving Day!

Pros:

Being able to sleep in the house you've been working on for a year.

Driving a big ass truck

Cost of living immediately drops by a substantial margin after booting the rental house out of the budget

Cons:

Moving all yer crap is a drag.

Moving all yer crap with a bum foot is an extra real drag.

Hopefully we won't be doing it again any time soon.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: We're Building a House.

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am

Nice lot and looks like a very low maintenance exterior. What's really nice about those hardwood forests is shade in the summer and sun in the winter.

Here in Arizona's Sonoran Desert, it's just sun almost all the time. That's one reason Arizona is the only state that does not do daylight savings time. We don't need to save daylight. We have too much already.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 am

Beautiful house 2X7!
Hope the move goes smoothly.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 pm

We made it. Officially in the new house, feels so darn gratifying. Don't think we'd have been able to pull of a full pack and move in 1 day without dear friends: super thankful.

And now my ailing foot gets a well deserved ice bath. Organizing can wait till tomorrow!

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:53 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:We made it. Officially in the new house, feels so darn gratifying. Don't think we'd have been able to pull of a full pack and move in 1 day without dear friends: super thankful.

And now my ailing foot gets a well deserved ice bath. Organizing can wait till tomorrow!
Feels a little weird going to sleep in a house that was a dense forest a year ago before your hard labor over the corse of 55 weeks...

The inspectors said everything is safe, right!?!?

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 am

Congratulations! I’m very happy for you. May God bless your home with much happiness and peace.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:01 pm

My drive to finish the house has naturally dropped since we've moved in. Nearly two months here and all that's changed is:

Trim inside completely finished.
Doorknobs on all doors
Outdoor siding 100% finished from curb view ;)
Back yard screened in porch started (fireplace built, slab poured, and structural posts in place.

Tonight however, we'll smoke a pipe with a glass of bourbon and just enjoy this point in the journey:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:01 pm
My drive to finish the house has naturally dropped since we've moved in. Nearly two months here and all that's changed is:

Trim inside completely finished.
Doorknobs on all doors
Outdoor siding 100% finished from curb view ;)
Back yard screened in porch started (fireplace built, slab poured, and structural posts in place.

Tonight however, we'll smoke a pipe with a glass of bourbon and just enjoy this point in the journey:
Absolutely fabulous! One of my careers was as a painting contractor and I love that exterior! Snow slides off, never have to re-roof, or paint. Zero fire danger as well. Smart construction, brother!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 am

Passed our final inspection today! :chili: :cheese:

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am

SWEET! Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am
SWEET! Congrats
:taco:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Boom.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:27 am

Did anyone else see Jon's post about living with friends? Any word on why they're not in the house?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:52 am

I saw this thread was active again and logged on to see the answer to this myself...
Sola Deo Gloria

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:52 am
I saw this thread was active again and logged on to see the answer to this myself...
Looks like he answered you and I on Instagram. Still a strange thing though. Hopefully he feels free to share some more details, because, well, that sucks.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Thank you for the concern and care fellas.

I'll get to a full explanation tomorrow.

Jenn and I are fine and have plenty of support but the story is a bit of a doozy.

I intentionally stayed vague on the IG post to avoid upsetting the other peoples involved.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:11 am

Aight, here's the situation as best as I can describe..

First, some back story.

Mrs 14 (Jenn) and I decided to move from Detroit to Holland, MI roughly 18 months ago.
We made that decision with another family who was, at the time, living in Ft Wayne Indiana.
The husband of this family used to be our Pastor in Grand Rapids Mi several years ago and we had maintained a close friendship (to the point where we are their girls godparents). At the time we decided to move here, both us and them had been feeling called to do something in the realm of neighborhood missions. We landed on Holland as we both have tons of contacts here, and it allowed us to continue the other work we had going (For Jenn and I, that meant not having to change our photography clientele).

We spent a few months talking and praying together and eventually constructed a plan that involved living together, building a house together, and then building a neighborhood community out of said house.

So off we went.

The husband (Andy) had a degree in construction management. So between he and I, we designed and built the house entirely with the intent of being able to host 50+ people on a weekly basis. The building process took from early fall 2016 until late May 2017. We finally, with much excitement, moved in on June 1.

June 4th, Andy and his wife sat Jenn and I down and told us they were out. I wont go into the entirety of their reasoning as much of it is personal, but they said they didn't have the capacity or capital to keep going with the house. Since this whole plan was a shared gig, it left Jenn and I in a terrible situation. We still wanted to stay, the entire dream had been built together with shared vision, and the gig was pulled out from under us with no conversation. As soon as we got to a point where the house was sellable, they bailed. We feel like we got played.

After living in the house a couple months, Jenn and I decided to sell it. We've held up our end of the bargain in the agreement to share everything with them and so we'll both make a profit on the house. It hasn't sold yet, but it became painful for us to be in there while all the showings happen. Felt like a constant reminder of the dead dream every time the realtor called to request a showing time.

So Jenn and I moved out, and the house is nearly empty awaiting sale.
We have friends in Holland who have been along side us the entire time and out of the blue, invited us to stay with them indefinitely until we figure out a new long term plan. We took them up on it, will stay with them till mid November, then Jenn and I are going on a month long trip to Europe because... well, why the hell not?

I think that's it, or most of it anyway.
I appreciate the care and concern fellas, truly do.
It's a frustrating season for us, and we're disappointed (to say the least) in our friends decision to back out of a shared dream and agreement we had together right before it was about to get off the ground. But we're also fine. Have tremendous people nearby to allow us the space to shuffle and change our plans with as minimal frustration as possible. Truly a blessing.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:17 am

Wow :( I was watching this project with excitement - I love "missional living" - so I can't imagine how excited you were through this all.

So sorry to hear this. Praying for the next steps!
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm

:( Oh man...

This whole plan seemed so perfectly "you." So sorry to hear this.
Sola Deo Gloria