CPS Hunting Tales

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: CPS Hunting Tales

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am

venator260 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Anyway, I am also preparing a few hundred rounds of .260 Remington to train my son to shoot centerfire rifles well. My goal by the time we go deer hunting is for him to be able to hit deer vital sized targets from shooting sticks out to 300 yards consistently. We'll see.

Hey, good choice of round. The two screen names that I use online were made up when I was 12-14, but more importantly, include 260 because that was my pride and joy at the time. I worked the whole summer between 6th and 7th grade to afford that rifle. Monday thru Thursday I went logging with my grandfather, and Fridays I mowed grass for the company my dad works for.

Remington Model 7 with stainless steel metal and a synthetic stock topped with a Leupold Vari X II. Later I bought a kit to give it a 4 pound trigger. Of course, the first year I had it I fell on a rock and scratched the barrel up. Its otherwise no worse for wear, and all but 2 deer that I'e ever taken have been with this rifle. I don't know that its spent an entire season in the gun cabinet as the other deer rifle that I have (low-end Savage in 30-06) broke on me both seasons that I tried to hunt with it.
I had a Model 7 in 243 and that has killed the most deer for me. I sold it to a retired former employee of my Dad's and have regretted it ever since. I sold my Marlin 30-30 at the same time. Not one of my brighter moments. That rifle was very accurate and easy to hike with. Hard to shoot off hand though because it was too light. Mine had the 18 1/2 inch pencil thin barrel. It was accurate for three shots in a row, after that it would string groups, but that didn't matter for hunting. But I decided I wanted a .260 because it's nearly as low recoil as a .243 but capable of much greater power for elk and hogs.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:33 pm

I just got an A zone tag. General season starts in about a week. But I'll probably wait until September to go. I'm going to see if I can hunt find a place to hunt deer in view of the Pacific Ocean. :dance:

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am
venator260 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Anyway, I am also preparing a few hundred rounds of .260 Remington to train my son to shoot centerfire rifles well. My goal by the time we go deer hunting is for him to be able to hit deer vital sized targets from shooting sticks out to 300 yards consistently. We'll see.

Hey, good choice of round. The two screen names that I use online were made up when I was 12-14, but more importantly, include 260 because that was my pride and joy at the time. I worked the whole summer between 6th and 7th grade to afford that rifle. Monday thru Thursday I went logging with my grandfather, and Fridays I mowed grass for the company my dad works for.

Remington Model 7 with stainless steel metal and a synthetic stock topped with a Leupold Vari X II. Later I bought a kit to give it a 4 pound trigger. Of course, the first year I had it I fell on a rock and scratched the barrel up. Its otherwise no worse for wear, and all but 2 deer that I'e ever taken have been with this rifle. I don't know that its spent an entire season in the gun cabinet as the other deer rifle that I have (low-end Savage in 30-06) broke on me both seasons that I tried to hunt with it.
I had a Model 7 in 243 and that has killed the most deer for me. I sold it to a retired former employee of my Dad's and have regretted it ever since. I sold my Marlin 30-30 at the same time. Not one of my brighter moments. That rifle was very accurate and easy to hike with. Hard to shoot off hand though because it was too light. Mine had the 18 1/2 inch pencil thin barrel. It was accurate for three shots in a row, after that it would string groups, but that didn't matter for hunting. But I decided I wanted a .260 because it's nearly as low recoil as a .243 but capable of much greater power for elk and hogs.
Very few times have I heard a hunter or gun enthusiast sell a gun and be happy about it.

I believe that mine has the 18 1/2 inch barrel. And they are nice and light, which is one of the reasons I wanted a synthetic stock. When I purchased that gun, a group of us would get together and do drives for a few days of the season. Lots of walking, and a heavy gun made that a bit unpleasant. I haven't done that in a few years now though. My hunting now is just my dad and I. I may occasionally do a little push for him, but that's about it.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:02 am

I'm looking forward to dove opener here on Sept 1. And hopefully some dove breasts with jalapeño and bacon wrapped, on the grill.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Jester
Usher
Usher

Post by Jester » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am

I woke up early in the morning and had everything ready to go.

I was in the tree for about twenty minutes before she came up.

Was back home in time for lunch and a smoke.
When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:36 pm

In my impromptu decision to buy a second deer tag in a new deer zone, I spent yesterday evening "internet scouting" and studying maps. Instead of hunting the part of the zone closer to home, I'm drawn to areas 8+ hours in drive time away from home, close to Bigfoot country even. :mrgreen:

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:14 pm

I came to the shotgun and bird hunting late, by that I mean in my late 30s. I had always wanted to bird hunt, but we were in Western Colorado (elk and deer country) and on a very limited budget. When I did start hunting birds they were Blue Grouse, yes I know that they have now been determined to be "Dusky Grouse" but I will continue to call them "Blues" just like Ruffs are called "Partridge" back East. I wound up hunting alone and learning as I went.

It was 12 years ago this September that I heard of a portion of the Alpine Plateau was known to hold grouse. I made plans to find out for myself and headed up on a Saturday morning. As I was parking the truck off an old closed logging trail, a Grouse flushed. I got out of the truck and loaded the shotgun put on my as yet un-bloodied bird vest and off I went. The bird I had flushed hadn't gone far and was still wound up and flushed when I was still 40 yards away and this time the bird flew a long way. I knew there had to be more so I walked on and within 1/2 an hour got another bird to flush and on my second shot the bird dropped. Not bad for a dogless hunt in an area I had never been. I collected my bird and spent the rest of the morning with no more birds.

As I was heading back to the truck, I came across some bow hunters that were elk hunting. They asked what I was doing with a shotgun in bow season. One of the hunters told me that about 2 miles on up the forest service road there was a two-track that led up to a burned area, the entire side of the mountain had burned 15 years ago. The hunter said that the area was recovering and was always thick with grouse.

Now I knew that he was trying to get me to move on and quit stomping around in their elk hunting grounds but I figured it couldn't hurt to check it out. So I followed his instructions and found the area he had described. It was about 100 acres and my GPS told me I had parked the truck at 10,110 feet above sea level. I shot two more birds that afternoon for a limit.

I have spent the last 12 years learning how to hunt this area. I have taken my best friend, my son, my son-in- law and my nephew to hunt grouse there. I don't normally get a limit of three birds, sometimes I don't get any, usually I get one or two and I have seen birds every time I hunt there.

There have been years when I took a limit and had to shoo others off the trail as I was headed back to the truck. There have been years when you find lots of grouse on Saturday and come back on Sunday and see one lonely bird flush 50 yards out. I have stomped around all day without seeing a bird and then get into birds on my way back to the truck. There have been days when I have a limit within 15 min of getting out of the truck.

My closest encounter with a bear came while hunting birds there, I usually see elk and deer and sometimes a coyote or a fox, saw a badger two years ago. There have been too many grouse to count both seen and harvested. Most of my hunts here are solo as there are not many dedicated bird hunters in my circles, not even those who have hunted there with me. I am still dogless due to my work situation. I look forward to the day I can share this with a K9 buddy.

I limit myself to hunting this area no more than three times a season. It is one of my favorite places on earth and I hope to spend a little time there this coming season. I have never run into anyone else while hunting here and I have always considered it my private area. There is little better than having hunted all day, cleaned my birds and sit back against a fallen log with a pipe full of Grousemoore or Wilderness and just soaking up the view off the side of that mountain at 10,000 plus feet...that is my Rocky Mountain High.
Last edited by Bloodhound on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Wonderful post, BH.
Thanks.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm
Wonderful post, BH.
Thanks.
+1

Now he got me thinking that I ought to try hunting Blues. I saw them one time while hunting deer very near the top of the western slope of the the Sierras. It's the only game bird we may legally hunt with pistol. Old tradition was that deer hunters would shoot a grouse with a kit gun to add to their dinner at camp.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wonderful post, BH.
Thanks.
+1

Now he got me thinking that I ought to try hunting Blues. I saw them one time while hunting deer very near the top of the western slope of the the Sierras. It's the only game bird we may legally hunt with pistol. Old tradition was that deer hunters would shoot a grouse with a kit gun to add to their dinner at camp.
If they've been eating sweet things, blues are great eating. (I refuse to call them "duskies," too, BH.)
I hunt them in scrub oak, ponderosa and aspen and they have been delicious.

My favorite bird to hunt is a bobwhite, but we don't have any locally so I've had to travel for them. But I can hunt grouse out my front door if I want to scale a steep gulley, or I can drive a few miles up a dirt road and get into them.

Hoping to be healed enough to to a little bird hunting this fall, but I fear I'll be hunting without a dog for the first time in ages. Both our setters are now ill. We're babying them.

Hunting without a dog will seem pretty strange. For me, it was always more about my dogs than anything else.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm
Thunktank wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Wonderful post, BH.
Thanks.
+1

If they've been eating sweet things, blues are great eating. (I refuse to call them "duskies," too, BH.)

My favorite bird to hunt is a bobwhite, but we don't have any locally so I've had to travel for them. But I can hunt grouse out my front door if I want to scale a steep gulley, or I can drive a few miles up a dirt road and get into them.

Hoping to be healed enough to to a little bird hunting this fall, but I fear I'll be hunting without a dog for the first time in ages. Both our setters are now ill. We're babying them.

Hunting without a dog will seem pretty strange. For me, it was always more about my dogs than anything else.
I grew up in an area thick with bobwhite. Back in the '70's, when I was but a little shaver, I used to hunt them with a Wrist Rocket.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm
I grew up in an area thick with bobwhite. Back in the '70's, when I was but a little shaver, I used to hunt them with a Wrist Rocket.

Damn!
You must have been good with that thing.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:00 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Damn!
You must have been good with that thing.
I was a kid. Basically, that means I could shoot for an hour and get a couple. :)
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm
Thunktank wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Wonderful post, BH.
Thanks.
+1

Blues are great table fare. When I am hunting withy a rifle, it seems like they are the dumbest bird in the world letting you almost step on them and then just flying a little way and sit looking at you...you could hit them with a rock...But...take a shotgun into the woods and they somehow know that they are the target and they act more like huns or chucker. I think when bird hunting I must walk different or something...but they seem to know.

Steve sorry to hear about your pups.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...