Nintendo Switch

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Nintendo Switch

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:49 am

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nin ... ch-news/2/

Looks kind of meh.

I get what they're doing and actually see some value in it, and I see how this might appeal to some folks. But this looks kind of like a dud from the get go.

And those controllers make my hands hurt just looking at them.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am

+JMJ+

Looks great to me. Pre-order is already in. I'm excited.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am
+JMJ+

Looks great to me. Pre-order is already in. I'm excited.
I want to be excited about it. I was excited when I saw the promo video a while back, but it's lost its luster for me already.

I have an xbox for big fun graphic games.
I have a wii for motion/party games + entertainment hub (ie netflix, etc)
My son has a 3DS for on the go, and frankly I have my phone which is virtually a mini tablet.

Aside from Mario games (which I have with my wii) and The Legend of Zelda (which, admittedly looks amazing), I'm not sure if this system does anything for me.

I hope I'm proven wrong tho. There should be a pretty good amount of info available to judge by Christmas time whether or not this is worth it.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Looks pretty friggin sweet to me.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 pm

I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:42 am

+JMJ+

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:06 pm

I read an article this morning saying that Nintendo coated the game cartridges with a bitter chemical to keep little kids and dumb adults from swallowing them.
EDIT: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres- ... 0-6448353/

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:57 pm

I still have my old NES but I bet I'd need an upscaler rgb to hdmi in order to play it.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:26 am

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am

So, how is it?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:35 am

+JMJ+
gaining_age wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am
So, how is it?

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:46 pm

+JMJ+

GameStop: Nintendo Switch is ‘Strongest Console Launch in Years’

There’s little doubt that the Nintendo Switch is one of the most highly sought-after consoles in recent memory. In fact, according to GameStop, the Nintendo Switch is easily one of the most successful gaming console launches the gaming company has experienced in years.

GameStop Senior Director of Merchandising, Eric Bright, shared his take on the Nintendo Switch launch with Game Rant, revealing how much demand there has been for the console. Bright said:
Stores across the country last night were packed with customers who couldn’t wait to get their hands on the brand new Nintendo Switch. We even had customers lining up as early as yesterday morning so that they could be one of the lucky ones to score one of the additional units for our walk-in customers. This is one of the strongest and most successful gaming console launches for GameStop in the last several years. For those fans who are still looking for the Nintendo Switch, don’t worry–we’re getting more. And, we’re pretty sure that there are a lot of gaming fans who pulled all-nighters last night playing their new Switch, and who also called in sick to work today with ‘game-fluenza’ just to stay home and play even more.
[…]

If the current demand for the Nintendo Switch continues, there shouldn’t be any trouble for Nintendo reaching its expected two million console sales in the first month. At the same time, it’s important to wait until the dust has settled before truly taking stock of the release – to see how hard to find the console is later this month, for example.

Those who did get their hands on a Nintendo Switch should check out Game Rant’s guide for expanding storage on the console, especially since games like highly-acclaimed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild take up nearly half the available native storage.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:34 am

+JMJ+

Nintendo Plans To Double Switch Production
Nintendo is doubling down on the Switch, according to sources speaking to The Wall Street Journal. On account of strong demand the company reportedly now plans to manufacture at least 16 million consoles over the fiscal year starting April 1 – twice its initial plan.

The Switch went on sale around the world on March 3 and saw record-breaking sales across several territories. Across the Americas, Europe, and Australia Nintendo confirmed the Switch had sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8LdNw02t8

Nintendo is yet to comment on specific figures but estimates suggest the Switch sold around 1.5 million units in its first week.

If you’re still considering a Nintendo Switch, head here for IGN’s Switch hardware review and here for IGN’s launch guide to the Switch, plus a round-up of the system’s first games.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 am

Yes, but when might they have a bundle?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

the article wos posted wrote: Those who did get their hands on a Nintendo Switch should check out Game Rant’s guide for expanding storage on the console, especially since games like highly-acclaimed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild take up nearly half the available native storage.
This right here is my biggest peeve with video game systems. Storage. It's not just Switch, it's all of them. The fact that you purchase a system and a handful of games fills up the available storage drives me nuts. The fact that the same system is sold in three different levels based on storage drives me nuts. I know there are how to guides (I didn't read the one above) and you can buy extra hard drives, etc, but it really is one of the things that's turned me off from buying any of the new systems. That and the "all in one" concept that it's no longer a video game system but an entertainment box that lets you do everything, oh and video games (which isn't necessarily an issue for Nintendo).

I think the 'next level' for consoles will be figuring out the storage issue.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 am

+JMJ+

Wos' Not-Quite-Review of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Breath of the Wild is to Ocarina of Time what Ocarina of Time is to The Legend of Zelda.

Now, that may well be a prodigiously audacious claim. After all, Ocarina was a game-changer. Nevertheless, that's the way I see it.

But on what bases? Let me offer some brief musings. Anecdotes, if you will.

When Ocarina came out, the idea of a 3D Zelda seemed like a no-brainer. An idea long time coming. It was the thing that one dared dream when one dreamed of Zelda. The object of one's most fevered imaginings.

OTOH, when Super Mario 64 came out, one never imagined such a thing. That is, one most likely neither conceived of — nor pined for — a 3D Mario. Never furtively hunted, in the brambles of one's mind, for that cryptozoological beast which would fulfill the stunted, yet promising, precursor which was the 2D Super Mario experience. Yes, 3D Mario was great. It was indispensable. But it didn't supplant the 2D Marios. Rather, it existed alongside them as a new genre or subcategory in its own right. 2D and 3D would forever be twined as two irreducible and complementary iterations of the The Super Mario Experience.

But with the Zelda franchise, things were different. Ocarina of Time was a paradigm-shift. This was the real-world avatar of that evanescent, eidetic Zelda which you'd imagined yourself playing when you were playing 8-bit Zelda back in 1986. Full-immersion 3D action-adventure questing. Zelda cubed. 2D Zeldas, though without losing their charms, would forevermore stand in the long shadow cast by Ocarina.

Breath of the Wild is just that kind of quantum-leap beyond Ocarina. In previous Zeldas, the overworld was, like the rice-cake which holds the caramel, an almost necessary evil: the moderately engaging, but occasionally bland, architecture supporting the enthrallment of the dungeons.

Not so here. I've prolly put in 30+ hours into Breath — one could, assuredly, speedrun though much faster, but I'm specifically taking my time to savor every "breath" — and I've yet to find a dungeon (though I'm on the cusp methinks). Nonetheless, this dungeon-dearth is of no concern. The overworld is just-as-engaging — and more! — than the elder Zeldas' dungeons have ever been.

And the loss of linearity necessitated in the transition to an open-world format has not translated to a loss of epic narrativity. The narrative skien — that "eternal legend" which is an endearingly necessary trope of every Zelda — is intermittently unwound in flashback, such that the song remains the same even when the playlist is shuffled. One simultaneously expects the familiar yet is surprised by the novel. One walks the familiar road that every Zelda must walk, upon pain of not participating in the Zeldaverse, yet while having no clue as to what's coming next. One can riff languidly to heart's content — structuring one's own way according to one's own lights — before resolutely shouldering the multitudinous, dutiful treks to destined shores.

And that's just a taste of the delightful novums which Breath of the Wild brings to the bucolically familiar bounty perennially laid upon the Zelda table.

"The best Zelda there's ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made", according to Metro.UK?

Uh … yeah.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:16 pm

+JMJ+

Well, I finally finished (the main quest of) Zelda. Some afterthoughts.

But first, some prefatory info on my playing strategy. I did not attempt to finish the main quest with any sort of urgency. I played languidly, getting almost every "power-up", shrine and side-quest available. I wanted to simply relax and enjoy. As such, my run-though time was far beyond that of a minimalist run as well as my progress through the main checkpoints being made markedly easier thereby. And so, in this, my experience was probably somewhat atypical, considering that so many gamers these days seem to be in a rush to complete every game so as to move-on to the "next big thing". But no matter. Twas an exquisitely enchanting experience.

I had noted earlier that I had not yet gotten to a "Dungeon". This was true. But it soon became apparent that there are no dungeons (at least not the stereotypically understood ones) in BotW. Yes, there are four micro-"dungeons" as well as a final, major one (Hyrule Castle). But these don't play quite like a rote Zelda dungeon. In a move which more than compensates for such a seeming loss, the Overworld itself is created to be so engaging and so nuanced that the absence of dungeons is only noticed in a gradual dawning to consciousness. Gone are the days where the overworld was a relatively bland substrate holding the "real action" which was to be found in the dungeons. Rather, the overworld is the action. And in BotW, the overworld specializes in ecological textures. The virtually tactile shifts in microclimates — with all of the attendant changes in flora, fauna, terrain, atmospheric conditions, as well as mood and timbre which this entails — is the is the central focus of the psychological impact. Breath (or Breadth) of the Wild, indeed.

Not content to stop here, the Nintendo design team felt the need (rightly so) to incorporate the franchise's venerable heritage of puzzle-solving which had formerly defined the dungeons. These elements are provided by the Shrines. Acting as intermittent waypoints, the Shrines are brief interludes — vignettes — which are characterized by a singular puzzle (some of which are decidedly more difficult than others) or by a battle which functions as a training-exercise in combat. These are delightful, because — beyond providing level-ups and such — they put a minor bookmark in the quest without demanding an all-consuming attention (they can even be somewhat ignored, at need or desire) which could sidetracking the immersive marrow of the overworld or make the inevitable return to it a minor disappointment.

Add to all of this the DLC (of which there are two currently scheduled), and the continuance of the franchise seems all-but-assured. The only question is, how can they top it? What's Zelda magic can they conjure for their next trick?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Video game consoles?

I already don't watch enough TV to justify the cost of cable and NETFLIX.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm

+JMJ+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgR9XBBEKjI
The Verdict

Mario’s games have been around for almost as long as game consoles have been a thing, but thankfully, he’s always evolving. We rarely get the same Mario twice. Super Mario Odyssey delivers on that ongoing promise of originality and innovation: It distills the venerable series’ joyful, irreverent world and characters and best-in-class platforming action, and introduces a steady stream of new and unexpected mechanics. It’s all spun together into a generational masterpiece.

10 out of 10
Yes, it's all that.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:06 pm

My son wants one for Christmas. I can't see dropping $300+ for a console with so few games almost a year in. I think I'll wait until the next best thing comes out like I often do then get it for cheap. Heck, I just replaced the xbox 360 that pooped out this past summer. We still enjoy a lot of the games on it.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne