Various Orthodox prayers

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Various Orthodox prayers

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:37 am

In the abundance of Thy mercy, O compassionate Jesus, Thou hast called publicans and sinners and unbelievers. Now despise not me who am like unto them, but accept this hymn as precious myrrh:
Jesus, invincible Power
Jesus, unending Mercy
Jesus, radiant Beauty
Jesus, unspeakable Love
Jesus, Son of the living God
Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Jesus, hearken unto me who was conceived in iniquity
Jesus, cleanse me who was born in sin
Jesus, teach me who am become foolish
Jesus, enlighten me who am darkened
Jesus, purify me who am defiled
Jesus, restore me, the prodigal
Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Jocose

Re: Various Orthodox prayers

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:44 am

Grant me Thy grace, O Jesus, Forgiver of every debt, and receive me who repent, as Thou didst receive Peter who denied Thee; and call me who am downcast, as of old Thou didst call Paul who persecuted Thee; and hearken unto me as I cry to thee:
Alleluia
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:01 am

Orators most eloquent do we behold mute as fish before Thee, O Jesus our Saviour, for they are at a loss to explain how Thou art perfect man and immutable God. But as for us, marveling at this mystery, we cry with Faith:
Jesus, God of gods
Jesus, King of kings
Jesus, Judge of the living and the dead
Jesus, Hope of the despairing
Jesus, Comfort of the mourning
Jesus, Provision of the poor
Jesus, condemn me not according to my deeds
Jesus, cleanse me according to Thy mercy
Jesus, dispel my despondency
Jesus, enlighten the thoughts of my heart
Jesus, make me ever mindful of death
Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 am

... amen
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 am

Ooh.I'm stealing no. 2.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:29 am

Awesome.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 am

St. Augustine's prayer for hope

O Lord our God, under the shadow of Thy wings let us hope. Thou wilt support us, both when little, even to gray hairs. When our strength is of Thee, it is strength; but, when our own, it is feebleness. We return unto Thee, O Lord, that from their weariness our souls may rise towards Thee, leaning on the things which Thou has created, and passing on to Thyself, who hast wonderfully made them; for with Thee is refreshment and true strength. Amen.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Adding one apropos for the lenten season (depending on traditon each lin eis generally followed by a prostration).

Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian
O Lord and Master of my life, give me not the spirit of sloth, meddling, lust for power and idle talk.
But grant unto me, Thy servant, a spirit of chastity (integrity), humility, patience and love.
Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see mine own faults and not to judge my brother. For blessed art Thou unto the ages of ages. Amen.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Third hour prayers

Lord, Who sent down Your Holy Spirit in the third hour to Your Apostles; take not Your Spirit from us, but rather restore Your Spirit in us who pray to You, O Good One.

You are blessed, O Christ our God, Who made the fishermen wise by sending down Your Holy Spirit. Through them You have captured the world into their nets. Glory to You, O Lover of Mankind!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:20 am

Be the helper of my soul, O God, for I walk in the midst of many snares. Deliver me from them and save me, for You are good, and You love mankind

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:29 am

God of truth and love: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Hear our prayer for those who do not know You.

That they may come to a saving knowledge of the truth, and that Your Name may be praised among all peoples of the world.

Sustain, inspire, and enlighten Your servants who bring them the Gospel. Bring fresh vigor to wavering faith; sustain our faith when it is still fragile.

Continually renew missionary zeal in ourselves and in the Church, and raise up new missionaries who will follow You to the ends of the world.

Make us witnesses to Your goodness full of love, full of strength, and full of faith for Your glory and the salvation of the entire world.

Through the prayers of all the missionary saints have mercy on us and save us, amen.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 am

First Hour Prayers

In every moment direct me according to Your word, lest all lawlessness overpowers me. Rescue me from slanderous men, and guard me with Your commandments. Shine Your face upon Your servant and teach me Your statutes. Let my mouth be filled with Your praise O Lord so that I may sing of Your glory the whole day long, as is greatly fitting to do.

Christ the True Light, Who enlightens and sanctifies everyone who comes into the world, imprint the light of Your countenance upon us, in order that we may see Your unapproachable light. Direct us at every moment, to works in accordance with Your commandments. Through the prayers of Your all-pure Mother and all Your saints. Amen.