MLB 2017

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: MLB 2017

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:10 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:01 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 pm
Looks like Colorado, Arizona and LA are going to be slugging it out!
This series with the Dodgers almost feels like September.

WooHoo.
Something to be excited about near mid-season for the first time in ages.
My MLB.com subscription money was wasted this year. My Giants are in the basement and rank near the bottom in almost every category, except home runs allowed.

I also see a lot of empty seats at AT&T Park, and signing last year, Johnny Cueto wants to leave, too. The 3 time World Series champion dynasty appears to be over and done.

But I'm happy for you DP. Go Rockies. I hate the Dodgers.
Well . . .

The last week has been a disaster. Not only are the Rockies losing, but they're getting blown out.
Hope it's not the beginning of another mid-season slide to the bottom.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Rockies currently down 11-6 to the Dodgers in the bottom of the 8th at LA.
3 runs scored on wild pitches.

Mrs. DP, a big fan, has left the room.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:32 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Update: Rockies lose 12-6

Your Giants might get a sweep this week, Goose.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:32 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Update: Rockies lose 12-6

Your Giants might get a sweep this week, Goose.
I don't know. With the G's record, I'm not even sure they have won two games in a row. But, I did watched the condensed version of the Rockies/ Giants on MLB, and the G's won.

The G's reached another historical mark. There was/ is now the greatest difference in MLB history, between the winning percentage of the rivals, Giant's & Dodgers. The G's have literally fallen off a cliff this year. Club House moral/ team chemistry I have heard is very down.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Royals are at .500 for the first time this season.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:04 pm
:chili: :bacon: :cheese: :taco:
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 pm

Jester wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm
FredS wrote:
Rocks are heading there, fast.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:02 am

This is a screen print from MLB.com's condensed version of a recent San Francisco Giant's game at this most beautiful Pittsburgh Pirates stadium.

Interesting jet trail cross in the sky,.....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:26 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 pm
Jester wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm
FredS wrote:
Rocks are heading there, fast.

Just lost to Arizona on a walk-off single.
Man, when the Rockies fall from first place they don't mess around.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:45 am

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Great catch!

Re the Rockies: Nobody in the NL West is going to catch the Dodgers. It's a Wildcard race now. I remain hopeful. I think the Rocks are for real this year.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:10 pm

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 am

Royals fans - It looks like we're in for a bumpy ride. The pilot has illuminated the seat belt sign. Please take your sets, buckle up, and hold on.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 am

Astros and Dodgers might meet up in the world series this year. The two strongest teams. Washington Nationals are up there, too.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 am

Off Topic
Jr. League Baseball greatest catch
https://youtu.be/aq-uxIPecCw

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Jester wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 am
Off Topic
Jr. League Baseball greatest catch
https://youtu.be/aq-uxIPecCw
I saw someone flagged this as "Off Topic." But I don't know that it is too far off topic. That young fella that made that kind of catch could in a few years very well be a 1st round draft pick for a MLB Team.

As for my fav team, the Giants, well, they are nearly 40 games out of 1st place, in last place, and they continue to sink. Stink & sink.

But it was good while it lasted. Folk grew tired of their winning the World Series 3 times in 5 years. Came close to doing it again last year, but they caught some kind of disease in the 9th inning of that 4th game of the Division Series vs the Cubs. If they had held on to win that one, they had All Star pitcher Johnny Cueto going in the 5th and final game and likely would have eliminated the Cubs, making them wait another 100 years. And the Giants had proven, every time, if they could get into the Championship Series, they went all the way. But 4 WS Titles in 7 years was just too much to hope for.

Ever since then, it's been anathema. AT&T Park had sold out for something like 350 games in a row (A MLB record), but that ended earlier this season. I wonder how hard it will be for them to sell seasons tickets next winter. It's the end of an era. In this world, all good things must come to an end.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 am

So what do some of you baseball fans think happened to the San Francisco Giants? Last year, contending for a play off spot, and this year over 40 games out of first place in the cellar. What happened?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am

I'm tempted to take the easy way any out and say, "That's baseball."

The bullpen fell apart. I think that was a major factor.

If you've ever played on a championship team, you know it's as much a "head" thing as a talent thing. Maybe even more a matter of feeling like a winner, team chemistry, locker room spirit, than simply a matter of talent.

The Giants had it for a long time.
Now they don't.

Losing games late can do that, and it's a difficult slide to reverse.

My theory, anyway.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am

If you've ever played on a championship team, you know it's as much a "head" thing as a talent thing. Maybe even more a matter of feeling like a winner, team chemistry, locker room spirit, than simply a matter of talent.

Now they don't.

My theory, anyway.
That's it!

But it's really odd how it all carried over from last years game 4 of the Division Series with the Cubs. They were leading 5-2 in the top of the ninth, set to force a game 5 at Wrigley, with Johnny Cueto on the mound,.... and that bull pen could not get an out.

2017 has been like the movie Ground Hog Day. Nearly everyday this season, has been like a repeat of the 9th inning of game 4 with the cubs. A nightmare.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am

Now they don't.

My theory, anyway.
That's it!

But it's really odd how it all carried over from last years game 4 of the Division Series with the Cubs. They were leading 5-2 in the top of the ninth, set to force a game 5 at Wrigley, with Johnny Cueto on the mound,.... and that bull pen could not get an out.

2017 has been like the movie Ground Hog Day. Nearly everyday this season, has been like a repeat of the 9th inning of game 4 with the cubs. A nightmare.
Brother, I'm from Pittsburgh. I commiserate.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.