MLB 2017

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: MLB 2017

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Rockies no longer in first place.
Let the fall to the bottom begin.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 am

Rockies back on top.
The fall will be painfully slow.

Giants on the bottom, but don't worry, Goose. I expect these two will swap places come September.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Astros v. Rangers
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:05 am

Giants took their 1st series of the season, and against the hated Dodgers, in Los Angeles. S.F. has been plagued by injuries, anemic hitting, and a sporadic bullpen.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am

The Rockies are 18-11.
The Giants are 11-18.

I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

As much as my wife and I enjoyed watching Walt Weiss at shortstop, where he really was beautiful to watch (and far less injury prone than Tulowitzky), he wasn't the best manager in the world. So far, Bud Black seems like an improvement in that role, but it's too early to know for sure.

Walt seemed to be one of those managers who was always leaving his starting pitchers in one disastrous inning too long. Black has said in interviews this is one area where he will be ruthless. No pitcher wants to give up the ball. Black says he'll take the ball away regardless.

We shall see.
So far, so good.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:39 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am
The Rockies are 18-11.
The Giants are 11-18.

As much as my wife and I enjoyed watching Walt Weiss at shortstop, where he really was beautiful to watch (and far less injury prone than Tulowitzky), he wasn't the best manager in the world. So far, Bud Black seems like an improvement in that role, but it's too early to know for sure.

Walt seemed to be one of those managers who was always leaving his starting pitchers in one disastrous inning too long. Black has said in interviews this is one area where he will be ruthless. No pitcher wants to give up the ball. Black says he'll take the ball away regardless.

We shall see.
So far, so good.

I like the Rockies uniform colors. It's a light purple. Is that a recent change to their uniforms?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 10:39 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am
The Rockies are 18-11.
The Giants are 11-18.

We shall see.
So far, so good.

I like the Rockies uniform colors. It's a light purple. Is that a recent change to their uniforms?
Yes.

I liked the dark purple and black vests they used to wear over a long-sleeve undershirt.

In 2007, during the crazy 14-1 streak that got them into a one game playoff with SD, then sweeping through the Playoffs before sitting around and waiting for Boston, only to go cold and get swept in the Series, they kept wearing that uniform home and away until the Series.

As soon as they put on the purple pinstripes, I told my wife the streak was over.

I'd like to see them bring that uniform back--and never take it off.

Sports superstitions for players appear on the surface to have no basis in fact--things like uniform changes, lucky hats and cleats, hockey players not shaving during the playoffs, but in games played at the highest levels ability is a given and so much of the game becomes mental. (Ninety percent of baseball is mental. The other half is physical. Yogi Berra)

I don't think of these things as superstitions so much as attitude changers.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Giants at Red's this evening, and a game time at 3:40 mine time. But I see a lot of rain in the forecast there. Flood warnings

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

CHC v. COL

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm
They'll have to fight the Giants for the bottom.

Even The New York Times is picking up on just how bad San Francisco has been:

"The Cincinnati series was historically bad: The Giants lost by 13-3, 14-2 and 4-0. The last time they had been outscored by 26 runs in a series of any length was in 1922, against Pittsburgh at the Polo Grounds."

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 pm

The Detroit Tigers bullpen still stinks.

In spite of some success over the past decade, Tigers have never had a good bullpen. So frustrating.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm
They'll have to fight the Giants for the bottom.

Even The New York Times is picking up on just how bad San Francisco has been:

"The Cincinnati series was historically bad: The Giants lost by 13-3, 14-2 and 4-0. The last time they had been outscored by 26 runs in a series of any length was in 1922, against Pittsburgh at the Polo Grounds."

Well, the Rocks are hanging around, still, and the Dodgers are making a big move.

Okay, old farts reminiscence time . . .

The Polo Grounds!

I watched the NY Giants play in the Polo Grounds as a kid. Centerfield was enormous, because the stadium was originally built for, yup, Polo. Part of why Willie Mays was able to demonstrate his incredible range came from playing center there. I don't have the statistic, but I bet more inside the park home runs were hit over center fielders' heads in the Polo Grounds than anywhere else.

My brother and I attended the first ever Mets home game there, too, and many more before Shea was built.

If the Rockies and the Giants battle it out for last place, I'll feel like a kid again watching the way past their prime former Dodgers Gil Hodges and Duke Snyder, and memorably, laughably terrible first baseman marvelous Marvin Throneberry lose a record setting 120 games (the home games at the Polo Grounds) with the Mets in 1962.

That record will stand forever.

That year, the Yankees beat the Former Giants, now the San Francisco Traitors, in a thrilling 7 game Series that looked like the Traitors might win in game 7 in the bottom of the 9th with two on and Willie McCovey at bat. But Bobby Richardson at second made a great catch on a McCovey liner and NY kept the trophy.

I didn't get to go to any of the games at Yankee Stadium for the Series. My rich uncles with the season box seats used them for themselves. My brother and I got their unused tickets during the regular season whenever they couldn't attend the game.

No kid I know who grew up in the NY metro area in those days will ever forget the grief they felt when the Dogers and Giants went to California, nor will they ever forgive them.

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN . . .

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Tue May 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Cubs are struggling big time.

Me thinks we used up our once-a-century-season-of-good-fortune coupon.
And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good?
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 10, 2017 2:35 pm

HOU v. ATL

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 11, 2017 12:36 pm

KC v. TB

Jester
Usher
Usher

Post by Jester » Thu May 11, 2017 1:08 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 12:36 pm
KC v. TB
With how bad their season is starting off I can hardly believe KC is only 6 games behind. If we get on a streak this will be an exciting AL Central season.
When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm

BOS v. MIL, tied Mid 8th

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 pm

A couple of bright spots with the basement dwelling Giants is that Buster Posey has homered in 3 consecutive games, and the new rookie, Christian Arroyo, is tearing the cover off the ball.

Maybe Arroyo is the antidote for whatever has been ailing them.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Was going to do some painting outside, but it is much too windy. So, it's Reds @ Giants starting now.. When I finish my bowl of OGS, a dog & an ice cold Modelo Negra beer w/ the game.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 14, 2017 8:27 pm

So... how about those Cardinals, eh?
Sola Deo Gloria