MLB 2017

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: MLB 2017

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 am

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Two games in and the Cubs and Cards have won a one run game. Rubber game tomorrow afternoon. Baseball is back. :)
:chili: :chili: :chili:
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 am

DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm

KC v. MIN
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:28 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 am
Pirates had a really good spring training record.

I just wish the Giants could obtain from Pittsburgh another power hitter like Barry Bonds. Giant's HR record has been anemic for too long.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm
KC v. MIN
SF will be in Denver beginning tomorrow and low and behold, it won't be snowing. Next year, maybe, as I've heard the season will be starting almost a week earlier.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:01 pm

STL v. CHC

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:49 am

AZ Dbacks got off to a blazing start. But I think it is a fluke.

There was a weird play at the SF home opener yesterday. The Giant's manager Bruce Bochy wasn't surprised by it, from his comments in the press conference. He's been around so much, he's seen everything. But he called the anomaly 3 "RTIs," ....runs thrown in.

With bases loaded, the pitcher, Matt Moore hit a dribbler to first. Goldshmidt's throw home was wild and got by the catcher. Then the catchers throw home was wild and got past Goldshmidt. 3 runs thrown in.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm

MIN v. DET

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Well, my favorite team, the San Francisco Giants are off to a shaky start, after sweeping the Oakland Athletics in the last 3 games of Spring training.

They are in Kansas City now and I am sure the Royals would like nothing more than to "help" them continue the shakiness.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

The Giant's pitcher, Matt Cain has all of a sudden become quite stellar, allowing only 4 hits last night in Kansas City. After he threw the first perfect game in Giant's history a few years ago, and they signed him to a mega contract, he had a small jar of bone fragments removed from his pitching elbow, and had not been the same since. Until now.

And now, tonight, it's a repeat of 2014's World Series game 7 w/ the G's Bumgarner on the hill. I can imagine KC fans will be quite hyped.

I think FredS is in Kansas City and though I'd like for the Royals to do well for him tonight, I am a solid fair weather Giants fan.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Brewers v. Cubs

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am
The Giant's pitcher, Matt Cain has all of a sudden become quite stellar, allowing only 4 hits last night in Kansas City. After he threw the first perfect game in Giant's history a few years ago, and they signed him to a mega contract, he had a small jar of bone fragments removed from his pitching elbow, and had not been the same since. Until now.

And now, tonight, it's a repeat of 2014's World Series game 7 w/ the G's Bumgarner on the hill. I can imagine KC fans will be quite hyped.

I think FredS is in Kansas City and though I'd like for the Royals to do well for him tonight, I am a solid fair weather Giants fan.
Don't want to rain on your parade, but Matt Cains win last night had more to do with the Royals poor hitting than his stellar pitching.

Royals fans have been talking about Mad Bum for a week now. We're debating whether to boo him tonight or not. He pretty much single-handedly beat the Royals in the '14 WS so we kinda don't like him. But man, we admire the hell out of the guy. His performance in that series will always be legend in KC.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

Don't want to rain on your parade, but Matt Cains win last night had more to do with the Royals poor hitting than his stellar pitching.

Royals fans have been talking about Mad Bum for a week now. We're debating whether to boo him tonight or not. He pretty much single-handedly beat the Royals in the '14 WS so we kinda don't like him. But man, we admire the hell out of the guy. His performance in that series will always be legend in KC.
Giants have trouble hitting, as well. They have no one anywhere near the caliber of a Barry Bonds. They have some prospects at AAA but only one that appears to be forcing his way up with performance.

As for Mad Bum, your comments regarding KC fans admiring him are true. I was noticing during his warmup on the mound, last night, a lot of folk there at ground level watching him intently. During the off season following that '14 World Series, this pic of him back in North Carolina went viral. Salesperson at the New Balance factory store in Scottsdale told me he wears a size 15 shoe.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Dare I get sucked in again, as I always do early in the season when the Rockies are playing well?
They've done it to me again, but this year the pitching is the big surprise. Here's hoping they stay healthy.

Looks like trading Tulo to Toronto was a wise move. He's a great player when he's healthy, but he sure has had trouble staying healthy.

Maybe, come September, we'll still be in it.

Rockies just took the lead against the Nationals in the bottom of the 7th on a pinch hit double followed by a two-run homer by Charlie Blackmon.

WooHoo!

Yeah. Sucked in. Again.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 pm
Dare I get sucked in again, as I always do early in the season when the Rockies are playing well?
They've done it to me again, but this year the pitching is the big surprise. Here's hoping they stay healthy.

Looks like trading Tulo to Toronto was a wise move. He's a great player when he's healthy, but he sure has had trouble staying healthy.

Maybe, come September, we'll still be in it.

Rockies just took the lead against the Nationals in the bottom of the 7th on a pinch hit double followed by a two-run homer by Charlie Blackmon.

WooHoo!

Yeah. Sucked in. Again.
And they hammered the Giants, a ball club that appears to have no incentive after 3 recent World series rings.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 am

San Francisco's hitting continues to be pathetic. Almost the worst of any Major League team. It's hard to be a fan when your team is hurting.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Centerfield, by John Fogerty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hymzhcru86k

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm listening to last night's game: MIL v. STL.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 03, 2017 1:55 pm

My unofficial soon-to-be-engaged-son-in-law was up last weekend. He lives in NE Arkansas and told me that the Cardinals, Royals, and Rangers are all blacked out from his MLB Game Day broadcasts.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 1:55 pm
My unofficial soon-to-be-engaged-son-in-law was up last weekend. He lives in NE Arkansas and told me that the Cardinals, Royals, and Rangers are all blacked out from his MLB Game Day broadcasts.
Royals and Giants both struggling. It's hard to be a fan at such times.