MLB 2017

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: MLB 2017

Post by Goose55 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:54 pm

San Francisco Giants acquired closer Mark Melancon in the off season. That role had been a real weakness for them the past couple years, so I would expect the Giants will be quite competitive this year.

If they had had a closer last year, the Cubs might not have made it out of the Division Series. They blew a 5-2 lead to the Cubs in the 9th inning of game 4.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Spring training games tomorrow!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Posted by the Colorado Rockies twitter acct w/ caption:

"What are the chances!?

#PiDay"

I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Rumblebuffin580
Usher
Usher

Re: RE: Re: MLB 2017

Post by Rumblebuffin580 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Cleon wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am
Cleon wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:26 am
Anybody see where MLB changed the intentional walk rule? All it takes is a signal to the dugout and the runner takes first. No plate action has to be taken on the part of the pitcher, catcher, or batter. What about a the potential of a passed ball/balk/wild pitch on an intentional walk? What about the potential for the batter to take a swing and make contact? What about stealing a base on a walk? All gone, I suppose.

Dumbasses.
It is certainly stupid. And does it really cut that much time out of the game? But, if I'm given the choice between automatic walk vs start a man on 2nd base in extra innings (this was legitimately considered), then give me auto walk any day.
Let's not get into the lesser of two evils thing. I've had enough of that lately. :D

Next thing you know, they will do away with the home run trot and just clear the bases and post the runs on the scoreboard.
Exactly, this is all church/beer league stuff. Baseball isn't a timed game so why treat it like it is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Listening to Mets v. Astros. Tebow just batted.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Spring training is a long deal.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm

I've been enjoying the World Baseball Classic. Not following it as closely as I did the last time around, but I'm enjoying the parts I'm able to watch. Anyone else?
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm
I've been enjoying the World Baseball Classic. Not following it as closely as I did the last time around, but I'm enjoying the parts I'm able to watch. Anyone else?
A bit.

KC had a weird thing happen in the WBC. Coming to home plate, KC's back up catcher Drew Butera, playing for Italy ran in to his Royals team mate and starting catcher Salvador Perez playing for Venezuela. Royals manager Ned Yost said “I’m kicking Drew’s ass when I see him.” I think he was joking.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Gabriel wrote:
I keep up with the highlights. I keep an eye on the Royals players. I have a soft spot in my heart for Team Japan.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:06 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Gabriel wrote:
A bit.

KC had a weird thing happen in the WBC. Coming to home plate, KC's back up catcher Drew Butera, playing for Italy ran in to his Royals team mate and starting catcher Salvador Perez playing for Venezuela. Royals manager Ned Yost said “I’m kicking Drew’s ass when I see him.” I think he was joking.
Heh. oops...

Yeah, it's a little "All Star Game-ish" in that many of the players have much higher priorities to their MLB teams and careers than they do in this tournament. It's also kinda disappointing that they have some stupid rules - DH, 11th inning runners, intentional "walks," etc.

That being said, there is still enough individual team identity to keep it interesting. I loved it the last time around. I watched almost all 4 hours and 45 minutes of the COL vs DOM the other day. Fun stuff.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:06 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Gabriel wrote:
A bit.

Heh. oops...

Yeah, it's a little "All Star Game-ish" in that many of the players have much higher priorities to their MLB teams and careers than they do in this tournament. It's also kinda disappointing that they have some stupid rules - DH, 11th inning runners, intentional "walks," etc.

That being said, there is still enough individual team identity to keep it interesting. I loved it the last time around. I watched almost all 4 hours and 45 minutes of the COL vs DOM the other day. Fun stuff.
For sure, the MLB players understand who butters their bread, but still, they get pretty excited playing for their country.

It's fun to watch the Latin American teams play. I'm an old school guy who doesn't see any reason whatsoever to speed up the pace of play or try to spice up baseball to attract younger audience. I like the thoughtful, methodical, reserved aspect of the professional game. But I also enjoy the enthusiasm that the Latin players bring to the game. It's fun to watch just a few of them on our team, but man, when they all get together it's like watching a bunch of excited 10 year olds who are playing for fun (without obnoxious parents in the stands who've forgotten it's a game).
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Braves are undefeated in regular season play at SunTrust park. Optimism reigns.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 am

USA vs. Puerto Rico tonight :chili:

Should be a fun one, looking forward to it. That Puerto Rican team is tough.
Sola Deo Gloria

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 am

Yankees sure have been on a tear this Spring.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: RE: Re: MLB 2017

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:16 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:03 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:26 pm
I'll add one more rant about MLB Gameday. It's ridiculous that Goose pays for the video service yet home games of his two 'local' teams are blacked out. You pay for the service! That payment should open every game to your viewing.
Seriously. I was considering it a few years ago. We didn't have directv at the the time and the only reason I really wanted it was for baseball. I worked in a steel shop, so a.m. signal was impossible to pick up. If I was going to pay for it, I might as well buy the video package, right? No. I could watch any game I wanted, as long as it wasn't in St. Louis. Uh... right...

Another complaint about gameday. I had been a subscriber for several years before I finally started using a smartphone. Cool, I thought, I can now listen to my gameday audio on my phone while I'm in the garage or out back where the radio signal sucks. No. You have to buy a separate package to use it on a mobile device. Seriously.
Having T-Mobile last year I was able to get a free year of MLB Gameday. Because of the blackout rule...I never used it.

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't mean Gameday. I meant MLB At Bat, which includes MLB TV
They're doing it again this year!

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb
April 4th, T-Mobile is giving every customer a free season-long subscription to MLB.TV Premium—a $112.99 value—PLUS MLB.com At Bat Premium--$19.99 value!
Again, it's for every 'out of market' team so you can't watch your hometown heroes...but still, free baseball!

Also the Tmobile Tuesday app (which you need to redeem this) is pretty cool. Last year, not only did I get free MLB.TV but they also gave away a $25 gift code for MLB shop. (I got me a sweet Mike Moustakas World Series Jersey shirt with that!)
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am

Astros v. Marlins

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 pm

TB v Pit

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:42 pm

I see that the U.S. defeated Japan, 2-1 in this international baseball classic. Not sure what the next level is. Of course, it was good to see 3 San Francisco Giants on the U.S. team, catcher Buster Posey, Short Stop Brandon Crawford, and their new closer Mark Melanchon. All three being pivotal in the outcome.

But I like the Giants. Was baptized as an infant, a Giant fan, when my folks lived near New York City. Back before the Giants and Dodgers moved west in expansion.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:42 pm
I see that the U.S. defeated Japan, 2-1 in this international baseball classic. Not sure what the next level is. Of course, it was good to see 3 San Francisco Giants on the U.S. team, catcher Buster Posey, Short Stop Brandon Crawford, and their new closer Mark Melanchon. All three being pivotal in the outcome.

But I like the Giants. Was baptized as an infant, a Giant fan, when my folks lived near New York City. Back before the Giants and Dodgers moved west in expansion.
Championship game tonight, USA vs. Puerto Rico. Should be a great game. I give the edge to PR, but in a one-game championship, anything can happen.
Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 pm

SD v. KC