Total Solar Eclipse Across The U.S., August 21, 2017

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Total Solar Eclipse Across The U.S., August 21, 2017

Post by Goose55 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Do you live near the path of the August 21, 2017 North American total solar eclipse? Here is a NASA link with lots more information of the total eclipse of the sun that will travel across the United States, from Portland, Oregon, down through South Carolina.....

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/ ... oogle.html

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Total Solar Eclipse Across The U.S., August 21, 2017

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:55 pm

There is a puzzle for you to enjoy. Why does the eclipse proceed west to east?

Google repeaters not required. Think about it. What is moving?
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Sweet! I live smack dab on the red line at 38.9° N, 94.3° W.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Solid 80% here, I'll take it!
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:30 pm

These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us. Though the wisdom of nature can reason it thus and thus, yet nature finds itself scourg'd by the sequent effects.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Rusty, look at the lines. It's moving North to south, from 70% and gains steam as it travels south to 100%, then loses power once again as it continues its travels south. Duh.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:28 pm
Rusty wrote:

Rusty, look at the lines. It's moving North to south, from 70% and gains steam as it travels south to 100%, then loses power once again as it continues its travels south. Duh.
Explain the movement. This is geometry. There is a path across the breadth of the US and it proceeds west to east. Explain that. And if you haven't mentioned movement of the Earth or the moon then you haven't explained anything. None of these astronomical bodies are steam powered. Duh.

The statement Goose made is technically accurate "total eclipse of the sun that will travel across the United States, from Portland, Oregon, down through South Carolina". Explain why that is true.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:02 pm

I wonder how this one will compare to the one in late May, early June 1984. I was at the beach on Senior Trip and the gulf was eerily calm that day.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:22 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:02 pm
I wonder how this one will compare to the one in late May, early June 1984. I was at the beach on Senior Trip and the gulf was eerily calm that day.
Apparently the 1984 solar eclipse was an annular eclipse, which means the moon did not completely occlude the sun's disk. This one will be a total eclipse because the new moon (it has to be in a new moon phase) is at a closer distance to us.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Explain the movement. This is geometry. There is a path across the breadth of the US and it proceeds west to east. Explain that. And if you haven't mentioned movement of the Earth or the moon then you haven't explained anything. None of these astronomical bodies are steam powered. Duh.

The statement Goose made is technically accurate "total eclipse of the sun that will travel across the United States, from Portland, Oregon, down through South Carolina". Explain why that is true.
And I wasn't even trying to be accurate. I simply saw the path on that map, and read it as I would a book, left to right (west to east).

As for what causes this solar eclipse to appear first in west, Portland, Oregon, and then later in east, South Carolina, I will make a guess w/o having googled it. I'd say that the eastward movement of the appearance of the eclipse, is somehow tied to the difference in speed of the earth's rotation and the moon's orbit.
Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Hmm on our 40th wedding anniversary, cool.

edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 pm
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:

And I wasn't even trying to be accurate. I simply saw the path on that map, and read it as I would a book, left to right (west to east).

As for what causes this solar eclipse to appear first in west, Portland, Oregon, and then later in east, South Carolina, I will make a guess w/o having googled it. I'd say that the eastward movement of the appearance of the eclipse, is somehow tied to the difference in speed of the earth's rotation and the moon's orbit.
Bingo. That's the explanation. Superb. Have a nice snort with a bowl of tobacco.
The velocity of the rough circle of totality does follow a path and its velocity is the speed of the moon's orbit (it's the occluding body) minus the speed of the Earth's rotation. Both the moon and the earth orbit/rotate anti-clockwise The Earth's rotation is faster (period of 24 hrs vs. 27 days ) than the moons orbital velocity. So the sign on the value of the difference is negative so the totality eclipse is going in the opposite direction ie proceeds west to east, the opposite of every other phenomena. It's fast too.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Bingo. That's the explanation. Superb. Have a nice snort with a bowl of tobacco.
The velocity of the rough circle of totality does follow a path and its velocity is the speed of the moon's orbit (it's the occluding body) minus the speed of the Earth's rotation. Both the moon and the earth orbit/rotate anti-clockwise The Earth's rotation is faster (period of 24 hrs vs. 27 days ) than the moons orbital velocity. So the sign on the value of the difference is negative so the totality eclipse is going in the opposite direction ie proceeds west to east, the opposite of every other phenomena. It's fast too.
This begs the question. A commercial passenger jet leaving Portland, OR for Charleston, SC at about the time of total eclipse in Portland, would remain in total eclipse much longer. But for how much longer?

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:17 pm

I may go house plant shopping that day.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:50 pm

I will be at or near the 100% path to observe.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:02 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:50 pm
I will be at or near the 100% path to observe.
Me too, KCMO area.
Edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:12 pm

75% in SE Texas. I plan to be fishing.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:08 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:

This begs the question. A commercial passenger jet leaving Portland, OR for Charleston, SC at about the time of total eclipse in Portland, would remain in total eclipse much longer. But for how much longer?
I think I've got the geometry wrong because I was getting approx. 1100-1200 km/hr for the speed of the umbra and NASA says it's much faster than that at approx. 1700 Km/hr (mach 1.5). The umbra (circle of totality) is about 260 km across and the plane has to remain within that to prolong the experience. An airliner is moving at roughly half the speed of the umbra. So for a person standing still on the far side of the umbra (direction in which it's moving) it would last about 9 minutes. Depending upon where the plane is when it starts it might last 18-20 minutes for folks on the plane but it's gone after that. No operating airliner will keep up with it.

tuttle
Gonna eat small
Gonna eat small

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 am

I hope this thread pops up again close to the event so I don't miss it!
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:22 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 am
I hope this thread pops up again close to the event so I don't miss it!
You're kidding right? This is the sort of thing local news weathermen geek out over. They'll remind us when the time comes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe