Total Solar Eclipse Across The U.S., August 21, 2017

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Total Solar Eclipse Across The U.S., August 21, 2017

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:33 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:50 pm
mustangii wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:00 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:43 pm
My home town is making a big deal out of being in the sweet spot of the eclipse.

https://www.marshallmosolareclipse.com

My mother is hosting a family reunion so we can all enjoy it together.
This 21st is Judy and I's anniversary, if we weren't going out of town, we would get together.
edm
Thank you for thinking of me! Enjoy your anniversary.

I'll ping you the next time we are in Missouri.
We'll be around then and I'd certainly enjoy a visit with Mrs Del if she gets over this way. I s'pose you can come along if she needs a driver.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Now I'm motivated to participate.

The Best Waffle Houses To Watch The Solar Eclipse From

https://alt1033.iheart.com/featured/mik ... k.facebook

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm
Now I'm motivated to participate.

The Best Waffle Houses To Watch The Solar Eclipse From

https://alt1033.iheart.com/featured/mik ... k.facebook

'Murica!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Those maps of eclipse’s path? ‘Wrong,’ experts say. And it’s the sun’s fault
The southern edge of the path as shown on the maps could be off by as little as the length of a football field or as much as a half-mile, eclipse mapping experts say. Likewise for the northern edge, meaning the path of totality might be just 69 miles wide.
And as an added bonus....

NASA Moon Data Provides More Accurate 2017 Eclipse Path
Using LRO elevation maps, NASA visualizer Ernie Wright at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, created a continuously varying lunar limb profile as the moon’s shadow passes over the United States as it will during the upcoming eclipse. The mountains and valleys along the edge of the moon’s disk affect the timing and duration of totality by several seconds. Wright also used several NASA data sets to provide an elevation map of Earth so that eclipse observer locations were depicted at their true altitude.

The resulting visualizations show something never seen before: the true, time-varying shape of the moon’s shadow, with the effects of both an accurate lunar limb and the Earth’s terrain.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 am

I heard that this will be the 1st total eclipse of the sun in the United States since 1979. The last time a total eclipse was visible from coast to coast was on June 8, 1918, nearly 100 years, so this IS a BIG deal. And it's only going to be visible in other countries as a partial eclipse.

"The next annular (not total) solar eclipse that can be seen in the continental United States will be on Oct. 14, 2023, which will be visible from Northern California to Florida. The next solar eclipse will take place April 8, 2024, which will track northeast from Texas to Maine and cross the path of the 2017 eclipse near Carbondale, Illinois.

"Since 1503, there have been 15 total solar eclipse paths that have crossed the path of the August 2017 eclipse, NASA noted. Calculations show that it will take about 1000 years for every geographic location in the Lower-48 to be able to view a total solar eclipse."

August 21, place and times.....

Location Partial Eclipse Begins Sun Completely Obscured
Salem, OR 09:05 am PDT 10:18 am PDT
Idaho Falls, ID 10:15 am MDT 11:33 am MDT
Casper, WY 10:22 am MDT 11:43 am MDT
Lincoln, NE 11:37 am CDT 1:03 pm CDT
Sabetha, KS 11:38 am CDT 1:05 pm CDT
Jefferson City, MO 11:46 am CDT 1:14 pm CDT
Carbondale, IL 11:52 am CDT 1:21 pm CDT
Hopkinsville, KY 11:56 am CDT 1:25 pm CDT
Nashville, TN 11:58 am CDT 1:28 pm CDT
Talulah Falls, GA 1:07 pm EDT 2:37 pm EDT
Columbia, SC 1:13 pm EDT 2:43 pm EDT
Charleston, SC 1:16 pm EDT 2:47 pm EDT

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/sol ... -august-21

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/0 ... as_th.html
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:11 am

We should schedule a rain date, in case of bad weather on the 21st.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 am

We have several upper management people from my group at work that are going to Wyoming to view this. The rest of us will work.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 am
We have several upper management people from my group at work that are going to Wyoming to view this. The rest of us will work.
They say that 90% of all upper management types, in government, or the private sector are psychopaths or sociopaths. They have no regard or compassion for people at all. All that matters to them is climbing over the back of others. These types lose their souls.

Sorry to stray off topic.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
They say that 90% of all upper management types, in government, or the private sector are psychopaths or sociopaths. They have no regard or compassion for people at all. All that matters to them is climbing over the back of others. These types lose their souls.

You should simply be sorry for having an opinion at all. You've just condemned 90 % of a social class you don't know on the evidence of a mysterious "they" whose statements you cannot verify.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Goose55 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 pm

My employers, however, have dispatched me to one of the towns in Eastern Oregon that are assured to have a prime, near perfect view of the eclipse. I'll be taking part in a nature documentary dealing with this once in a lifetime event. Indeed, it's good to be me.

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm
Goose55 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

You should simply be sorry for having an opinion at all. You've just condemned 90 % of a social class you don't know on the evidence of a mysterious "they" whose statements you cannot verify.
I have a psychologist friend and she told me those statistics are from well documented studies. My reason for quoting her is also from personal experience.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:35 pm

The eclipse will be this coming Monday. Who here will be able to view all or most of it's totality?

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

I have a psychologist friend and she told me those statistics are from well documented studies. My reason for quoting her is also from personal experience.
You haven't quoted her yet, you know.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

You haven't quoted her yet, you know.
The studies would be the interesting thing. She said what I wrote under Gary's comment.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:05 pm

I just saw a weather forecast for eclipse watching that predicts cloud cover for much of the path of totality, especially in the center of the US.

That stinks.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm

99.5% and clear skies in the forecast.

8)
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:43 pm

A couple of weeks ago, Beth was on the local events FB page where much was being discussed about the eclipse. A lady complained about it occurring during work and school hours and asked if there was any consideration of moving it to a weekend so more families could enjoy it together.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Del

Post by Del » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:54 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:43 pm
A couple of weeks ago, Beth was on the local events FB page where much was being discussed about the eclipse. A lady complained about it occurring during work and school hours and asked if there was any consideration of moving it to a weekend so more families could enjoy it together.
Actually, moving the weekend to line up with the eclipse might be a better idea.

And we should still plan for a rain date, in case the weather is too cloudy to see it.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:54 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Actually, moving the weekend to line up with the eclipse might be a better idea.

And we should still plan for a rain date, in case the weather is too cloudy to see it.
Families enjoy it together??? What happened to the evil portent? Sun eaten by who knows what, comets, exploding stuff - it's all bad. It's certainly not a picnic. What has happened to Christians??? LOL!

Del's idea is ok as long as they change the dates back after. It turns out that the whole process is actually the same as declaring a one-time public holiday. And it could be limited to a very short period.

Rumour has it that Trump will resign the presidency as the eclipse leaves America. Let us pray.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met