North Korea

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

North Korea

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:07 pm

There may be talk about North Korea in some other thread(s), but the matter seems to deserve it's own thread.

I have been reading some news that indicates N. Korea has a lot more military might than most folk presume. Of course, their threats to nuke the U.S. seem baseless. But a test missile landing where it's not intended, could get people very angry.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: North Korea

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm

North Korea is like Bizarro World. Honestly, I can't fathom how a place like it exists in this day and age. It's built upon a foundation of delusion and coercion, and yet it has withstood the onslaught from all sides for half a century. One would think the house of cards would have collapsed.

I worry for their citizens. I'm afraid they will annihilate themselves someday.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm
North Korea is like Bizarro World. Honestly, I can't fathom how a place like it exists in this day and age. It's built upon a foundation of delusion and coercion, and yet it has withstood the onslaught from all sides for half a century. One would think the house of cards would have collapsed.

Yeah, this is fascinating. But not in a good way.

One of the cliches always said about North Korea is that it's "unpredictable". I'm sure I've said that too. But actually, it's been both stable and predictable. I appreciated this article which explains the simple goal of the regime (survival) and the logic of its behaviour toward that singular goal.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-14/n ... ea/8444778
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:13 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Well said. I heard one news story yesterday indicating that the situation is a lot graver than we think. Some say instigate a coup, from within. But that would only cause another fanatic to rise.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jester
Usher
Usher

Post by Jester » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

I heard today that North Korea has a law that nobody can have the same hair cut as Kim Jong Un. I assume in a place like that the punishment is death but I haven't confirmed any disciplinary actions.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Kim-Jo ... id/785108/
So Trump is right that this is a witch hunt. And he’s right that there’s no underlying crime, at least based on the evidence we’ve seen. The big problem is that Trump insisted on putting on a witch’s hat and dancing around the fire shouting incantations while maintaining, correctly, that witches aren’t real. -Ben Shapiro

Free healthcare is a right? Free healthcare doesn't exist! -Andrew Klavan

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am

Maybe we can get Dennis Rodman back over there?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am
Maybe we can get Dennis Rodman back over there?
That might make matters even worse. Rodman told Kim Jong-un that Kim's father and grandfather were "great teachers."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... Korea.html
Last edited by Goose55 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm

They don't have lights but they have nukes?
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

TheImpudent just gave me a wedgie. » John-Boy

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:04 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm

I am so amazed at that, that I had to check to be sure it was true, and sure enough. It is.

Here's a NASA link to a night time image of the Korean Peninsula taken from the International Space Station where N. Korea appears to be open water.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/korean-pen ... ce-station

South Korea's per capita power consumption is 10,162 kilowatt hours and North Korea's is a mere 739 kilowatt hours. S. Korea has 48 million, and N. Korea, 24 million population. 1/2 the people and each person using only 7% of the power of a South Korean resident. No wonder it is dark in N. Korea. And in more ways than one.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm

DepartedLight wrote:

They don't have lights (or food) because they have nukes.
Priorities, gentlemen, priorities.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:

And they are smaller in stature than South Koreans (though historically the same ethnic population) because they lack food. Goodness only knows how the nutritional deficit many have impeded other less measurable attributes.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 pm

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:

Well, you can't have guns AND butter.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

StatHaldol
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by StatHaldol » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am
I heard today that North Korea has a law that nobody can have the same hair cut as Kim Jong Un. I assume in a place like that the punishment is death but I haven't confirmed any disciplinary actions.
I hope that's true, perhaps we should have a similar law concerning our president's hair. :lol:
"Twas much, that man was made like God before, but that God should be made like man, much more". John Donne

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 am

+JMJ+
StatHaldol wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 am
Jester wrote:
I hope that's true, perhaps we should have a similar law concerning our president's hair. :lol:
When Del hears about this, mister — ohhh, and he's gonna hear about it, I assure you — he's gonna do somethin' you ain't gonna like. You just wait. He's not gonna let this slide, I promise you.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 am

Found this on Fox News today (at bottom is the link). As I read this, I think about our own United States Presidents, past and present, who were/ are not that different. The most recent exception being give 'em hell, Harry Truman....

"As millions of North Koreans starve, the despot’s guests – members of the nation’s political elite – dine on the finest imported food like lobsters, scallops and French cheeses and wash it down with bottles of champagne, fine wines, whisky and brandy.

"Former Chicago Bulls basketball star Dennis Rodman – who has struck up a bizarre friendship with the dictator – was a guest at the private retreat.

"Rodman, who experts claim has had more contact with the tyrant than any other American, talked about the party resort comparing it to Spanish island Ibiza.

"He said: “It’s like going to Hawaii or Ibiza, but he’s the only one that lives there.

“He’s got 50 to 60 people around him all the time – just normal people, drinking cocktails and laughing the whole time.

“If you drink a bottle of tequila, it’s the best tequila.

“Everything you want, he has the best.”

"Guests of Kim are given rooms decorated with imported antique furniture, paintings and tapestries.

"His seaside party pad – close to the port of Wonson – has its own marina and secluded bays patrolled 24 hours a day by heavily armed troops."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/22 ... tarve.html

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 am
+JMJ+
StatHaldol wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 am
Jester wrote:
When Del hears about this, mister — ohhh, and he's gonna hear about it, I assure you — he's gonna do somethin' you ain't gonna like. You just wait. He's not gonna let this slide, I promise you.
Nah. If you guys think we need a law banning guys from imitating Mr. Trump's haircut, then knock yourselves out.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:11 pm

All of his videos from North Korea were entertaining.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm

This sad situation in N. Korea, with this dictator Kim in many ways is very similar to the Saddam Husein/ Iraq conflict. With the exception of the religion infighting of Iraq. People living in fear, but brainwashed with propaganda.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm
This sad situation in N. Korea, with this dictator Kim in many ways is very similar to the Saddam Husein/ Iraq conflict. With the exception of the religion infighting of Iraq. People living in fear, but brainwashed with propaganda.
It might not be about the folks in N. Korea. It wasn't about the folks in Iraq either. He's packing weapons of mass destruction and he says your aircraft carrier is an ideal target and a candy ass. Wave nicely to the wacko dictator.
The last time an American president even suspected WMD (and it was real reach) it was a big deal. They rolled.

So?
"We're taking orders via Twitter now?" .... At the Pentagon

Oh Hillary... You abandon us to this?

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met