North Korea

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: North Korea

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:33 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 am
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 am
SteveH wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 am
Kim Jong Un's a wrong 'un, and Trump is a chump.
When I was a youngin' in school I remember me and some friends would try to get a couple of knuckleheads to fight each other. The dumber they were, the easier it was to get 'em riled up. This has all the trappings of the exact same thing I saw in those dunderheads at school. This is literally the same thing I saw in the schoolyard...only these morons have nukes.

And while we're on the subject, I can't believe all of the Dear Leaderism I'm seeing that is continually and increasingly cropping up in Trump supporters. It is frighteningly astounding. Like watching a fiction novel play out in real life.
I don't know that this NK Kim lacks intelligence. I understand he was educated in Europe. But I rack my own brain trying to understand what is his, and his depressor's motivations.
Did he believe the West had better education? Did he believe their economy was better for intelligence to thrive? I don't think the intelligence of Kim has anything to do with reality. In fact I think in reality he is absolutely foolish to leach on the West for University in order to wage war against West ideology.

At Trumps age he only has 8 good summers left. Why the hell would you waste them doing the hardest job in America.... especially when you have the money to do WHATEVER YOU WANT!
Power & control? Prestige? Fame?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 am

Enjoy the doddering old redneck of hegemony of Goose and Del everybody. I'm through reminding people what CPS used to be about. I'd rather sit down at the table of brotherhood with Kim Joung-un than spend another day tolerating Goose's inane antics.

Farewell.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 am
. . .
Farewell.
Later.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 pm

I think the situation is potentially understandable.

1) The DPRK regime is fundamentally unstable. Most dictatorships are unstable. This one is particularly aggressive and nasty with their own citizens. It is completely militarized ie most of the nation is in the armed forces. There are lots of weapons and a coup is always a possibility. With increasing sanctions people are going without and there will be desperation. So what stabilizes the regime?

2) External threat stabilizes the regime. The leader is seen as a grand strategist and the only one capable of dealing with the threat. The source of the hardship is blamed on the external threat. So if the external threat can be adjusted by belligerent statements to the world then the situation can be stabilized in all cases. This extends the life of the regime internally.

3) Nuclear weapons are the ultimate guarantee that external threats will not attempt to attack and change the regime. But any preemptive first use against another Nuclear power eg a super power guarantees the end of the regime. So they are far less likely to use the weapons first. It is inimical to the regime's survival. They also have unhappy guardians (China & Russia) that really do not want the Americans on their border so that deters foreign (even super powers) from initiating attack. That leaves the DPRK free to stabilize the regime by perpetuating the threats to foreign powers. They thrive on this.

It's a distinct possibility than any preemptive attack by the DPRK might bring the unhappy guardians in to take over the regime and preempt any further actions by others. They would inform the US of this. It would be a military action. That would be the end of N. Korea as it exists today.

If the analysis is correct then Trump & other leaders should avoid threatening them in the same way as DPRK behaves. It plays to the DPRK's strategy and it is demeaning for the other leaders. As an example, as soon as Trump drew a line the sand Kim Jong Un crossed it and upped the anti. It's good for Kim. And it's not enough provocation for the US to initiate any attack esp. not with unhappy guardians standing by. So get used to it. The US has control over the tenor of the discussion if they have some self-discipline.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 am
Enjoy the doddering old redneck of hegemony of Goose and Del everybody. I'm through reminding people what CPS used to be about. I'd rather sit down at the table of brotherhood with Kim Joung-un than spend another day tolerating Goose's inane antics.

Farewell.
CPS is still about the same thing it used to be about, so long as you're looking in the right spots. The political threads have been curtailed significantly since November.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm

This gives a a whole new dimension to the phrase "Evangelical Industrial Complex".
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Did I really hear our President right?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 pm

tuttle wrote:
SteveH wrote:
When I was a youngin' in school I remember me and some friends would try to get a couple of knuckleheads to fight each other. The dumber they were, the easier it was to get 'em riled up. This has all the trappings of the exact same thing I saw in those dunderheads at school. This is literally the same thing I saw in the schoolyard...only these morons have nukes.

And while we're on the subject, I can't believe all of the Dear Leaderism I'm seeing that is continually and increasingly cropping up in Trump supporters. It is frighteningly astounding. Like watching a fiction novel play out in real life.
Much of it is just push-back against the Left's spokes-folks, whose knee-jerk reaction is always "hate first, ask questions later."

They hate Trump for speaking strongly to the North Korean god-man. They would hate Trump for speaking softly.

I don't know what the right action should be, or if it any action can be effective now that Kim has missiles and nukes. It just seems like the right issue for us to come together as a nation.

But the leading Democrats are too focused on frustrating the electorate and trying to make Trump look bad at every turn. They have no time to worry about national safety.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sen-d ... le/2630963
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 pm
Much of it is just push-back against the Left's spokes-folks, whose knee-jerk reaction is always "hate first, ask questions later."

They hate Trump for speaking strongly to the North Korean god-man. They would hate Trump for speaking softly.

I don't know what the right action should be, or if it any action can be effective now that Kim has missiles and nukes. It just seems like the right issue for us to come together as a nation.

But the leading Democrats are too focused on frustrating the electorate and trying to make Trump look bad at every turn. They have no time to worry about national safety.
Trump looks bad enough all on his own. He appears to be playing the DPRK hand. Not helpful except to Kim.

Have the Dems sent letters to the DPRK undermining the President yet?.... Something like this previous episode... you remember this - March 2015: G.O.P. Senators’ Letter to Iran About Nuclear Deal Angers White House

The Democratic Senators are probably right. And I suspect that Trump's advisers are counseling a different tone as well. Maybe he should listen to them.

Kim Yong Un probably enjoyed that video of Trump. It has likely been played non-stop in N. Korea. Personifies the threat. Perfect.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
SteveH wrote:

Del, if you weren't so damned partisan you could see the irony. But you are partisan and your war against the left blinds you to see the irony. I couldn't believe how war-lord like Trump spoke the other day. Am I surprised? Hell no! Once again Trump proves that he's the wrong man for the right job.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am

+JMJ+

US-North Korea: Vatican official says conflict is ‘always the wrong way’
Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the former Vatican observer to U.N. agencies in Geneva, Switzerland, pictured in a January 2014 photo in Geneva. (Credit: CNS photo/Martial Trezzini, Reuters.)

Speaking about the US-North Korea crisis, Italian Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Vatican's former permanent observer to the United Nations, said that the situation shows how international relations can easily break down when there is a determination “to violate the minimum standard of common sense in dealing with other people.”

ROME - As tensions between the United Sates and North Korea continue to raise, the Vatican’s former representative to the United Nations says that Pope Francis is closely following the situation, and that the only way forth is that of dialogue, because the way of conflict is always wrong.

“The way of conflict is always the wrong way,” said Italian Archbishop Silvano Tomasi. “That’s why you need to invest time, energy, money, resources in preventing the necessity of arriving to these boiling points of crisis.”

The current crisis in North Korea, Tomasi said, shows how international relations can easily break down when there is a determination “to violate the minimum standard of common sense in dealing with other people”. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 pm
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
SteveH wrote:

Del, if you weren't so damned partisan you could see the irony. But you are partisan and your war against the left blinds you to see the irony. I couldn't believe how war-lord like Trump spoke the other day. Am I surprised? Hell no! Once again Trump proves that he's the wrong man for the right job.
Let me try again, since you Lefties can be as thick as you always claim conservatives to be.

The point is that the Left have no respect for our opinions. That is why you lose elections.

Half of America liked George W. Bush, and the leftist media told us we were stupid for doing so. We took it quietly and politely, because that is how we are. Remember how confounded the Left reacted when Bush won his re-election? Inconceivable!

We learned our lesson. The Left continues to insult and demean the half of America who appreciate what President Trump has done for us. You call us "duped, blind, partisan." We have not been persuaded by your wisdom. Sad to say, the Left has tempted some American conservatives down to their level, dealing out insults like "snowflakes" and "libtards." Fortunately, most conservative Americans remain polite and reserved. We have our own lives to live; we don't want to live yours for you.

We like Trump because he is bringing jobs back home. The Foxconn plant in my back yard is going to be a huge boon for north Chicagoland.
We like Trump because he is not meddling in our private lives. His Supreme Court justices will help to protect our privacy and how we raise our own kids.
We like Trump because he is doing something about terrorism and rogue states, something different from the failed foreign policies that got us into this.

You insult what Trump said because you hate Trump. You offer no excuse for your for your disapproval of Trump's stand against Kim, except to call Trump a "war-lord." Go ahead and make your case then -- What evidence do you have that Trump is a war-lord?

What alternative do you have to offer? France has urged us to give in to Kim's demands as meekly as possible, to keep "peace." Is that what you think Trump should do? Should we give them more money too?
=================================================

The way to deal with a little bully is to call his bluff.

I approve of the current world strategy, which seems to be playing good cop-bad cop with Kim Jong-un. Even America is holding both sides -- Trump and Mattis (Sec. Defense) flexing muscle, while Tillerson (Sec. State) is talking softly and offering Kim a peaceful alternative.

Of course, the Leftist media only thinks that the Trump Administration is at odds with itself. They can't let themselves imagine Trump succeeding at anything. They are cheering for North Korea! They want this to end badly, at least for Mr. Trump. They don't care about the rest of us.
To tame North Korea, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson must master Washington
Tillerson dials back rhetoric after Trump's North Korea 'fire and fury' threats
Rex Tillerson just erased the reckless red line Trump drew on North Korea

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am
+JMJ+

US-North Korea: Vatican official says conflict is ‘always the wrong way’
Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the former Vatican observer to U.N. agencies in Geneva, Switzerland, pictured in a January 2014 photo in Geneva. (Credit: CNS photo/Martial Trezzini, Reuters.)

Speaking about the US-North Korea crisis, Italian Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Vatican's former permanent observer to the United Nations, said that the situation shows how international relations can easily break down when there is a determination “to violate the minimum standard of common sense in dealing with other people.”

ROME - As tensions between the United Sates and North Korea continue to raise, the Vatican’s former representative to the United Nations says that Pope Francis is closely following the situation, and that the only way forth is that of dialogue, because the way of conflict is always wrong.

“The way of conflict is always the wrong way,” said Italian Archbishop Silvano Tomasi. “That’s why you need to invest time, energy, money, resources in preventing the necessity of arriving to these boiling points of crisis.”

The current crisis in North Korea, Tomasi said, shows how international relations can easily break down when there is a determination “to violate the minimum standard of common sense in dealing with other people”. …
I remember when Bush wanted to start bombing Saddam Hussein, because Saddam claimed to have WMD's.

Pope John Paul II urged us to slow down. We had not verified the presence of WMD's, and Saddam had claimed to have turned over all of his biological and gas weapons -- which turned out to be nothing at all.

I made a the grave mistake of disregarding John Paul's warning. I was persuaded by Tony Blair... I reckoned that British Intelligence had independently verified the work of American Intelligence, and that the UN inspectors were being duped by clever Iraqi agents.

This situation is somewhat similar. There are some key differences:
- We know for certain that North Korea has ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons.
- And fortunately, no one is proposing to start bombing North Korea.
- It is Korea, not America, who is threatening to make the first strike.
- America, unlike Saddam, is capable of defending ourselves and striking back with superior force.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 am

https://news.vice.com/story/trump-folde ... hite-house

Our insecure snowflake of a President gets two dossiers each day full of positive news about himself.

He is Kim Jong-Un's analog. No wonder he's all in on the fire and fury.
Last edited by TNLawPiper on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 am

Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
SteveH wrote:

I don't know if 'much' of it is pushback. I mean, I can recognize simple pushback when I see it.

A football analogy.

I hate the Broncos and I hate the Raiders, but when they play each other I'm usually rooting against one more than the other because of how it will benefit the Chiefs. Me rooting against the Broncos doesn't mean I'm for the Raiders. Just as someone can root against the Left in their battle against Trump. But what I'm seeing isn't that. It's not just rooting against the Left, I'm seeing folks going out and buying the Trump team colors. They wave his flag and paint their face.

There are many conservatives who are vocally both against the Left and against Trump who are not playing for either team. They'd rather both teams lose because both teams are not their team. That's not what I'm talking about here, nor am I talking about those who use the "Hey guys. Let's support our President and respect the office" kind of jargon. I'm seeing folks bold face lie for Trump, mimicking his style, repeat his talking points, and brag about how great he is. That's not pushback against the Left, it's rah rah-ing Trump.

I bring up Dear Leaderism because Trump is bloviating in the exact same way Kim Jung Un does and Trump supporters (whether they recognize the similarity or not...I shudder to think which is worse) simply LOVE it.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
SteveH wrote:

I don't know if 'much' of it is pushback. I mean, I can recognize simple pushback when I see it.

A football analogy.

I hate the Broncos and I hate the Raiders, but when they play each other I'm usually rooting against one more than the other because of how it will benefit the Chiefs. Me rooting against the Broncos doesn't mean I'm for the Raiders. Just as someone can root against the Left in their battle against Trump. But what I'm seeing isn't that. It's not just rooting against the Left, I'm seeing folks going out and buying the Trump team colors. They wave his flag and paint their face.

There are many conservatives who are vocally both against the Left and against Trump who are not playing for either team. They'd rather both teams lose because both teams are not their team. That's not what I'm talking about here, nor am I talking about those who use the "Hey guys. Let's support our President and respect the office" kind of jargon. I'm seeing folks bold face lie for Trump, mimicking his style, repeat his talking points, and brag about how great he is. That's not pushback against the Left, it's rah rah-ing Trump.

I bring up Dear Leaderism because Trump is bloviating in the exact same way Kim Jung Un does and Trump supporters (whether they recognize the similarity or not...I shudder to think which is worse) simply LOVE it.
Nope. Yer either for us or yer against us!

Del

Post by Del » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
SteveH wrote:

A football analogy.

I haven't seen any such "Dear Leaderism" -- but I live in the Peoples Republic of Madison, so any who truly adore Mr. Trump are still keeping quiet. The persecution is real.

I can't say that I "love" Mr. Trump for matching Mr. Kim's rhetoric, but I can see why this was necessary. We can't negotiate with a despot unless we do so from a position of strength. The first step in getting Kim to back down is to show him that it will be in his best interest to back down. "If you fire your missiles in an act of war, your regime will come to an end in fire and fury. We can do this -- and we have the will to do this."

We have to make this statement clear before any peaceful negotiations can start. That was our failure in the past.

Who knows what the sycophants surrounding Kim are saying? If they are stressing the American press reports, and saying that Americans are not going to support military action, and therefore Trump is weak and his threats are empty and toothless.... then the world is headed for trouble.

If they talk about American history, the resolve of men like Truman and Kennedy and the Greatest Generation, and how Trump is restoring the fabled mightiness of Americans.... then we might still have peace.

It all depends now on whether Korea believes America is a "sleeping giant" or a "paper tiger."

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am

+JMJ+

I hereby pronounce this thread …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am
+JMJ+

I hereby pronounce this thread …
You could offer your own thoughts... or at least comment on the article you posted.

Thunktank thinks that Trump is a "war-lord."

TNLP thinks that Trump is a snowflake who requires dossiers of constant affirmation.

Tuttle is disconcerted that there are people who support our President with pride and enthusiasm.

What do you think?

I am cautiously hoping that the world's strategy of threats against Korean violence, along with offers of peaceful resolution, will prevail and achieve peace. But know one knows what Kim Jong-un will do. All we know is that the Left will blame Trump if it turns out badly. They will not give him credit if it ends peacefully.

Meanwhile, Trump is doing exactly what Kennedy did during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Ultimatums up front, combined with offers for peace. I hope is works again this time.