Your Best Nature Photos Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Best Nature Photos Thread

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:28 am

Some nice, spontaneous photos there, S&S. Post some more when you can. Others, too.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm still looking through some old prints to digitize.

This isn't a particularly great photograph, and I didn't take it, but I post it in the same spirit of nature as the shot of the mulie with the huge rack Bloodhound saw while hunting grouse a while back.

Check out the tail on this wild Kansas pheasant:

I bet I tied a couple of seasons worth of pheasant tail nymphs from that one bird!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 pm

This isn't a particularly great photograph, and I didn't take it, but I post it in the same spirit of nature as the shot of the mulie with the huge rack Bloodhound saw while hunting grouse a while back.

I bet I tied a couple of seasons worth of pheasant tail nymphs from that one bird!
Beautiful bird. Hope the men to whom the bird gave it's life, honored it in some way. That's what I really like about many of the Native Americans. They mostly revered all life as sacred. With exceptions, of course.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 am
durangopipe wrote:

Beautiful bird. Hope the men to whom the bird gave it's life, honored it in some way. That's what I really like about many of the Native Americans. They mostly revered all life as sacred. With exceptions, of course.
I honored it by eating it and tying flies with its feathers. And being grateful.
Other birds by giving them to friends to enjoy.

(Roughly one third of my students are Native American. They've taught me a great deal.)
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 pm

At the beach today ...

Pelicans flying over ...

Some beach combing always; see what came in with the tide. I always look for possible pipe tampers, and also pick up sand-polished glass. My wife just picks at misc shells and other items.

One of these could be my next beach pipe tamper. The 2nd from the top perhaps; or maybe the 5th from the top? ...

On the way home I stopped to take a pic of this fallow field full of flowers. Last year about this time this field was solid green with new rice coming up.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23
Always think good thoughts when you go to sleep.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 am
durangopipe wrote:

I honored it by eating it and tying flies with its feathers. And being grateful.
Other birds by giving them to friends to enjoy.

(Roughly one third of my students are Native American. They've taught me a great deal.)
Very nice bird. And you honored it very well indeed!
O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks for posting those images, Sweet & Sour. Brings back memories of some time I spent in Galveston, TX

Your pics w/ those type clouds also show what is headed our way pretty soon,...monsoon season

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 5:04 pm
Interesting. Still prefer it to its eastern cousin, the Giant Hogleg. Exposure to the Giant Hogleg could cause feelings of oversimplification, unjustified superiority, and an unconscionable desire to talk down to the world from a false summit of knowledge.
Logged on today thinking I might rejoin in. So much for that.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:38 am

hogleg wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 am
hugodrax wrote:
Interesting. Still prefer it to its eastern cousin, the Giant Hogleg. Exposure to the Giant Hogleg could cause feelings of oversimplification, unjustified superiority, and an unconscionable desire to talk down to the world from a false summit of knowledge.
Morning, then. You dodged a bullet. You should read the political threads.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:28 am

+JMJ+
hogleg wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 am
hugodrax wrote:
So, you log in and do a search for your name?

And then post to tell us how you won't be posting?

Srsly?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:01 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:29 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 3:35 pm

One of my favored outdoor activities is the observation, identification, and sometime collection of poisonous botanicals. Here is a photo of me with my great, old nemesis, the Giant Hogweed.

One of the most potent phototoxic plants known, the sap of the Heracleum mantegazzianum causes severe, long lasting painful blisters and acute sensitivity to sunlight in those unfortunate enough to be exposed to it. I have discovered numerous virulent stands of it this spring in various parts of the Willamette Valley and I can only hope that state of local authorities will see to their destruction. I'm certainly not going to touch any.
Good to know. Having now looked it up, I have discovered that this plant does not appear in any of the wild land I frequent, but I'll try to remember it for times when I wander to the Northwest or Northeast.

Great hat.
Hoglegs' post this morning led me to search for hugos' subject post, which led me to this post. Yes, great hat indeed. I have a similar one that belonged to my father.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Barn swallow chicks on the back porch are out-growing the nest. But mom and dad are still feeding them, all day, every day ...

Meanwhile, a few days ago I took this shot of our spectator on one of the back nine (13th I think) at my local golf course.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 pm
Barn swallow chicks on the back porch are out-growing the nest. But mom and dad are still feeding them, all day, every day ...

Meanwhile, a few days ago I took this shot of our spectator on one of the back nine (13th I think) at my local golf course.

Yet another hazard that is not present in the wild lands I frequent!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

sweetandsour wrote:

I love Barn Swallows for their graceful and swift, turn on a dime flight. And those are excellent pics! There were some nesting around a garage I parked my truck in, near Oxnard, CA, on a strawberry farm I lived at. I remember their flight as being almost silent. Amazing creature.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Sky was bright and fiery post sunset tonight!

(Obviously: iPhone. Holland MI)

I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:48 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm
Sky was bright and fiery post sunset tonight!

(Obviously: iPhone. Holland MI)

Very emotive image. 2X. I love it.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:05 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

I love Barn Swallows for their graceful and swift, turn on a dime flight. And those are excellent pics! There were some nesting around a garage I parked my truck in, near Oxnard, CA, on a strawberry farm I lived at. I remember their flight as being almost silent. Amazing creature.
The barn swallow nest was empty yesterday morning, and the air was filled with swallows. There was a nest on nearly every porch in our neighborhood, and apparently this is the time for all of the young to become fledged, (or perhaps is simply "fledge"). I made a quick estimate of 70-80 swallows on the line and in the air behind our house today.

My 11-y.o. grandson just this past Friday commented while watching the 4 chicks in the nest, that they had never seen the world behind them. "That's right, and a neat observation by a youngster", I replied.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 am

Got chased off the lake by a thunderstorm about a week ago. Stopped to watch this on the way home:

Sola Deo Gloria

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 am

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 am
Got chased off the lake by a thunderstorm about a week ago. Stopped to watch this on the way home:

I lived for a short time a bit north of Indianapolis and one afternoon I saw a complete double rainbow stretching from horizon to horizon. A jaw dropping sight.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Calm night on the lake last night.Image

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation