Your Best Nature Photos Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Best Nature Photos Thread

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Azaleas in spring bloom, Shore Acres State Park, Oregon Coast, Oregon, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Provia 100 ASA transparency film. Rodenstock 150mm APO-Sironar S lens. Polarizing filter.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Birch Trunks and Maple Forest in Autumn, Nicolet National Forest, Wisconsin, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Velvia 50 ASA transparency film. Rodenstock 150mm APO-Sironar S lens. Polarizing filter.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Douglas Fir log in temperate rain forest, Quinault River Valley, Olympic National Park, Washington, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Velvia 50 ASA transparency film. Rodenstock 150mm APO-Sironar S lens. Polarizing filter.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Drift logs on Point Blanco Beach, southern Oregon coast, Oregon, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Velvia 50 ASA transparency film. Caltar II 90mm wide angle lens. Polarizing filter.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 pm
Drift logs on Point Blanco Beach, southern Oregon coast, Oregon, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Velvia 50 ASA transparency film. Caltar II 90mm wide angle lens. Polarizing filter.
I really love this one!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Goose, I think that you're the best photog on CPS

The next time that you're near the Moonbase give me a shout if you feel like sharing your expertise with a wanna be photographer.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 pm
Goose, I think that you're the best photog on CPS

The next time that you're near the Moonbase give me a shout if you feel like sharing your expertise with a wanna be photographer.
Why, thank you! Some of it comes naturally to me and I sent you a PM explaining that, and some ideas to try. Some junior colleges have photography classes and they can be very fruitful. It's how I learned to use the large format, 4 x 5 inch camera. But they now have classes in digital photography.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:16 am

Hiker stands under the Veteran Cypress Tree, along the Central California Coast, Point Lobos State Park, California, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Provia 100 ASA transparency film. Caltar II 240mm lens. .

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am

Late afternoon sunlight enters through sea stack on the Big Sur Coast of California, U.S.A.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

Jocose wrote:Goose, I think that you're the best photog on CPS
Agree!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 am

Marsh in late afternoon Autumn light, Porcupine Mountain Wilderness, Michigan, U.S.A.

Posted a horizontal version of this earlier, but I like the vertical one much better. Polarizing filter is very effective here as it took the sky reflections off the water and turned it black,.. as it really is. And, made the colorful leaves on the water stand out.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:53 pm

Moss covered Douglas Fir Trees in Temperate Rain Forest, Quinault River Valley, Olympic Peninsula, Washington, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Provia 100 ASA transparency film. Caltar II 90mm wide angle lens. Polarizing filter.

This one was published in TIME’s 2000 Earth Day Special Edition as the lead 1-1/3 page photo, in the lead article. Back then, TIME paid $800 for it’s one time use. Agent said the TIME Science Editor fell off her chair when she put the transparency on her light table.

And I didn't have to go far for this one. It was just a few paces from my truck & pop up camper, in the very small & remote campsite. You can see in the lower right corner, a faint, small trail.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Oak Tree near Paradise, California, U.S.A

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Palisade Group and Palisade Glacier, John Muir Wilderness, Eastern Sierra Nevada, California, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Provia 100 ASA transparency film. Caltar II 240mm lens

Had to have a lot of gear packed up on horseback, as there are no roads going here. Camped for 6 days. Made this image when I woke up to the first sunrise. Learned of this place from a gallery in Bishop, which had painting of the place. It is the southernmost glacier in north America. Trout had never seen power bait before and the first night I had a feast.

Sid.Stavros
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Sid.Stavros » Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 am
Thought it a good idea to create a thread to show off some of our better nature photographs.
Great idea, bravo! :wavey:

I have not any pro equipment but sometimes i take photos from Nature, i will post some of them here although are not something "unique".

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 am

Sid.Stavros wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 am
Thought it a good idea to create a thread to show off some of our better nature photographs.
Great idea, bravo! :wavey:

I have not any pro equipment but sometimes i take photos from Nature, i will post some of them here although are not something "unique".
Ah, is that your cat, Sid? Cats are such fun and photogenic. It appears to be a male. And he has an "Assassin's Kitten" look about him!

We'll eagerly look forward to some more photos of yours!

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 am

Pinyon Pine Tree, White Mountains, Inyo National Forest, California, U.S.A.

K.B. Canham large format 4 x 5 field camera. Fuji Velvia 50 ASA transparency film. Rodenstock 150mm APO-Sironar S lens.

"The pinyon or piñon pine group grows in the southwestern United States and in Mexico. The trees yield edible pinyon nuts, which were a staple of the Native Americans, and are still widely eaten as a snack in New Mexican cuisine. The name comes from the Spanish Pino piñonero, a name used for both the American varieties and the Stone Pine common in Spain, which also produces edible piñon nuts typical of Mediterranean cuisine. Harvesting techniques of the prehistoric Indians are still being used to today to collect the pinyon seeds for personal use or for commercialization. The pinyon nut or seed is high in fats and calories.

"Pinyon wood, especially when burned, has a distinctive fragrance, making it a common wood to burn in chimineas.The pinyon pine trees are also known to influence the soil in which they grow by increasing concentrations of both macronutrients and micronutrients." (from Wikipedia)

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am

I am about tapped out on the better photographs from my 1999/ 2000 travels. Just a few more left to post, winding down. It was quite a bit of work, but worth it. I had to digitize and then edit the original 4 x 5 inch transparency film.

Be nice to see some more of the brethren's nature images. But, please, no manure pictures. There's another thread for that.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:25 am

Annapolis Rock, Appalachian Trail, MD
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed May 17, 2017 11:44 am

Lake Macatawa from the park by our house last week via iPhone.

Lake Michigan near Muskegon via iPhone.

Lake Michigan's South Manitou Island from, you guessed it, iPhone.
(Can't take credit for this one. Mrs 14 took it and that's me walking along the dune.)
Last edited by TwoXseveN on Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".