A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jared
I await final judgement [sic]
I await final judgement [sic]

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Jared » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:41 pm

All work and no play . . . .
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. George Washinton Carver

In Vino Vertias, in Cervesio Felicitas

2014, 2015 & 2016 Winner Most Likely Not To Win An Award

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Jared wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:41 pm
There is a strand of reformed Christianity which does not tolerate drinking, smoking, dancing, or having fun in any general sort of way.

I can't recommend it.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm
Jared wrote:
There is a strand of reformed Christianity which does not tolerate drinking, smoking, dancing, or having fun in any general sort of way.

I can't recommend it.
And then we come to the Westboro Baptist Church which seems to find perverse pleasure (fun perhaps?) in disrupting the funerals of Soldiers and harmless high school plays.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:12 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:08 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:34 pm
Thoth wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm
" A hunter in the desert saw Father Anthony enjoying himself with the brothers and he was shocked. Wanting to show him that it was necessary sometimes to meet the needs of the brothers, the elder said to him, “Put an arrow in your bow and shoot it.” So he did. The elder then said, “Shoot another,” and he did so. Then the elder said, “Shoot yet again,” and the hunter replied, “If I bend my bow so much I will break it.” Then the elder said to him, “It is the same with the work of God. If we stretch the brothers beyond measure they will soon break. Sometimes it is necessary to come down to meet their needs.” When he heard these words the hunter was pierced by remorse and, greatly edified by the elder, he went away. As for the brothers, they went home strengthened." - from the sayings of St. Antony the Great
Did Saint Anthony play or did he condescend to brothers who play?

It often seems that tradition raise up those as most holy, who were also most serious and seem least likely to "play" unless it was with children. My perspective of Christian faith definitely leans toward play as immature. The mature and holy subsist off of being barefoot in the snow in prayer with so little appetite they forget to eat bread for days.
There is nothing in that story which suggests there is anything bad about wholesome play.

Most of us are immature in our spiritual growth.

St. Benedict instituted a time for daily recreation for his monks.
I have a hunch that I'm plagued by a very faulty perception about some things.
A loving father gets down on the floor and plays with his children. He may not need Candyland or Shoots & Ladders, but he knows this is what his children need.

St. Anthony may have been able to survive on little more than prayer and the Eucharist. And his followers aspired to receive that grace. But for now, let's laugh and roll some dice around.
So then my perception was right? St. Benedict and St. Anthony condescended to play but didn't have a good time themselves. Those guys aren't normal. I don't want to play Candyland, I just want liquor with my candy once in a while. There are monks of all stripes and religions that just seem to exist in another part of the mind than anyone else.
St. Antony, personally, your perception of him is probably on point since according to his Vita, he stopped going to school because he did not like the rough-housing of the other boys. But he is only one point on the spectrum where you have St. Moses the Strong (aka the Black) who was known to be very social and seems to have enjoyed a good time. St. Pachomius who was a soldier and instituted cenobitic monasticism was social and probably enjoyed some for of recreation.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:28 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm
Del wrote:
Jared wrote:

I can't recommend it.
And then we come to the Westboro Baptist Church which seems to find perverse pleasure (fun perhaps?) in disrupting the funerals of Soldiers and harmless high school plays.
Having fun, ruining the joys and sorrows of innocent persons.

They are true trolls.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:28 pm
FredS wrote:
Del wrote:
Jared wrote:

I can't recommend it.

They are true trolls.
I don't think they do it for fun.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 pm

infidel wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:28 pm
FredS wrote:
Del wrote:
Jared wrote:

I can't recommend it.

They are true trolls.
I don't think they do it for fun.
I don't know. Ol' Fred Phelps was a twisted son of a b****.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe