A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19303
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I was reading the I Just Like The Sound Of It thread a few minutes ago I realized just how silly it is. And how some may think that thread in particular and CPS in general have no place in Christian life. Which lead to the larger consideration of the importance of play. I have no doubt that dozens of Christians have signed up for CPS only to quickly leave because of so much frivolity here. In the mind of many, the Christian life must be solemn and well ordered. H. L. Mencken once quipped that “puritans,” (serious-minded Christians) are “people who have a deep, foreboding fear that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time.

My church and our small group are very intentional in making time for play and feasts and festivals. Escape rooms, bowling, or concerts in the park form tight bonds. Dietrich Bonhoeffer taught his Christian community that it's important to pray for and play with one another. It's difficult to hate a man that you pray for and play with. Here's a wonderful article on A Serious Theology of Play by David Naugle. It's only about a 10 minute read and it's very interesting.
Naugle wrote:Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once observed that Christians “have no joy.” He also said, should he ever come to believe in God, he would only believe in a “God who danced” (40). Sadly, he was never able to locate such a God. . .

Play, defined quite broadly as any legitimate and moral activity engaged in for enjoyment or recreation (including sports), is an essential part of our divinely created humanity as the image of God and is therefore an intrinsic good. . .

The[se] unenthusiastic references to play . . . represent what is undoubtedly a considerable portion of the story about play that has been told to countless numbers of Christian believers throughout the ages. It often seems like Christianity has no place for play or for the joyous celebration of life. It’s no wonder, then, that play seems out of bounds for many believers.

The universal and transcultural fact is that children are natural born players. This well-attested observation is sufficient in and of itself to establish the idea that play is an indelible characteristic of human . . .

The riotous and uproarious play of animals also teaches us something about the authenticity of play as a vital part of natural life . . . Surely the animals tell us something about the playfulness of the God who made them . . . and about ourselves as made in His image.
Whataya think?
Last edited by FredS on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19303
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm

For instance. . .
As much as he may sometimes deserve it, I find it impossible to hate Del. I've hung out with the real-life Del. We ate and drank together. We've shared tobacco and car rides. Our spouses have met. We've prayed together and played together..
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2672
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm

I don't have more time right now, but I think, yes! I always wonder what kind of games Jesus and the crew played, out jokes they told.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10802
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Onyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm
For instance. . .
As much as he may sometimes deserve it, I find it impossible to hate Del. I've hung out with the real-life Del. We ate and drank together. We've shared tobacco and car rides. Our spouses have met. We've prayed together and played together..
Image

You are so right about life generally. It's so good to meet, share, work and enjoy the good times with different sorts. Muslims, atheists, gays, even Chestertonians.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12116
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Jersey City, World's Greatest City
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Thoth » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm

" A hunter in the desert saw Father Anthony enjoying himself with the brothers and he was shocked. Wanting to show him that it was necessary sometimes to meet the needs of the brothers, the elder said to him, “Put an arrow in your bow and shoot it.” So he did. The elder then said, “Shoot another,” and he did so. Then the elder said, “Shoot yet again,” and the hunter replied, “If I bend my bow so much I will break it.” Then the elder said to him, “It is the same with the work of God. If we stretch the brothers beyond measure they will soon break. Sometimes it is necessary to come down to meet their needs.” When he heard these words the hunter was pierced by remorse and, greatly edified by the elder, he went away. As for the brothers, they went home strengthened." - from the sayings of St. Antony the Great
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7732
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I've never seen any reason that Del or anyone else here would deserve to be hated. That's my juke for the day, or maybe for the month.
Re the theology of play, there's surely got to be a proverb or Ecclesiastes somewhere that basically says there's a time for play.

(Joe Bray may have pushed it a little, though.).
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10802
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Onyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm
I've never seen any reason that Del or anyone else here would deserve to be hated. That's my juke for the day, or maybe for the month.
Re the theology of play, there's surely got to be a proverb or Ecclesiastes somewhere that basically says there's a time for play.

(Joe Bray may have pushed it a little, though.).
Del does not deserve to be hated, I don't think anyone does (although it's possible there are exceptions... but not for CPS level shenanigans). Del deserves to be loved. (Unless you have a certain type of theology, which says everyone deserves damnation but for the mercy of God and all that... But I don't hold with that stuff.)

That's my juke for the day!
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7732
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Onyx wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm
I've never seen any reason that Del or anyone else here would deserve to be hated. That's my juke for the day, or maybe for the month.
Re the theology of play, there's surely got to be a proverb or Ecclesiastes somewhere that basically says there's a time for play.

(Joe Bray may have pushed it a little, though.).
Del does not deserve to be hated, I don't think anyone does (although it's possible there are exceptions... but not for CPS level shenanigans). Del deserves to be loved. (Unless you have a certain type of theology, which says everyone deserves damnation but for the mercy of God and all that... But I don't hold with that stuff.)

That's my juke for the day!
Yep. So, basically your juke is seconding my juke.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Is picking on Del and telling jukes a divine waste of time?

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6174
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by infidel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm

"There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval." -George Santayana
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10802
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Onyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm
Is picking on Del and telling jukes a divine waste of time?
It's the meaning of life.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10802
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Onyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:45 pm

infidel wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm
"There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval." -George Santayana
"We want to hear the Mexican play the guitar." - Carlos Santana
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35708
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Del » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Onyx wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm
For instance. . .
As much as he may sometimes deserve it, I find it impossible to hate Del. I've hung out with the real-life Del. We ate and drank together. We've shared tobacco and car rides. Our spouses have met. We've prayed together and played together..
Image

You are so right about life generally. It's so good to meet, share, work and enjoy the good times with different sorts. Muslims, atheists, gays, even Chestertonians.
Those Chestertonians are such a dour lot, right?

Which reminds me of something.... Chesterton never claimed to be a theologian, and few people think of him as such. He was a humorist, journalist, philosopher, novelist, essayist, writer of mystery detective stories, cartoonist, economist, Christian apologist, historian, biographer, lecturer, debater, and all-around absent-minded fellow.... but not a theologian.

But at a recent Chesterton conference, a real-life academic theologian gave a talk on the topic of Chesterton as a theologian. And it seems that Chesterton made a significant contribution with his unique insight into God's "mirth." God's sense of play, His child-like delight with His creation. It is found in the final paragraphs of Orthodoxy.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10802
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Onyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 pm
Onyx wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm
For instance. . .
As much as he may sometimes deserve it, I find it impossible to hate Del. I've hung out with the real-life Del. We ate and drank together. We've shared tobacco and car rides. Our spouses have met. We've prayed together and played together..
Image

You are so right about life generally. It's so good to meet, share, work and enjoy the good times with different sorts. Muslims, atheists, gays, even Chestertonians.
Those Chestertonians are such a dour lot, right?

Which reminds me of something.... Chesterton never claimed to be a theologian, and few people think of him as such. He was a humorist, journalist, philosopher, novelist, essayist, writer of mystery detective stories, cartoonist, economist, Christian apologist, historian, biographer, lecturer, debater, and all-around absent-minded fellow.... but not a theologian.

But at a recent Chesterton conference, a real-life academic theologian gave a talk on the topic of Chesterton as a theologian. And it seems that Chesterton made a significant contribution with his unique insight into God's "mirth." God's sense of play, His child-like delight with His creation. It is found in the final paragraphs of Orthodoxy.
I'll see if I can scrape a layer of dust of that little volume and check those final pages.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12116
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Jersey City, World's Greatest City
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Thoth » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 pm

I thought anything related to mirth or laughter was burned down in the library by the creepy blind monk before Sean Connery could get his hands on it.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25502
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:31 pm
I was reading the I Just Like The Sound Of It thread a few minutes ago I realized just how silly it is. And how some may think that thread in particular and CPS in general have no place in Christian life. Which lead to the larger consideration of the importance of play. I have no doubt that dozens of Christians have signed up for CPS only to quickly leave because of so much frivolity here. In the mind of many, the Christian life must be solemn and well ordered. H. L. Mencken once quipped that “puritans,” (serious-minded Christians) are “people who have a deep, foreboding fear that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time.

My church and our small group are very intentional in making time for play and feasts and festivals. Escape rooms, bowling, or concerts in the park form tight bonds. Dietrich Bonhoeffer taught his Christian community that it's important to pray for and play with one another. It's difficult to hate a man that you pray for and play with. Here's a wonderful article on A Serious Theology of Play by David Naugle. It's only about a 10 minute read and it's very interesting.
Naugle wrote:Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once observed that Christians “have no joy.” He also said, should he ever come to believe in God, he would only believe in a “God who danced” (40). Sadly, he was never able to locate such a God. . .

Play, defined quite broadly as any legitimate and moral activity engaged in for enjoyment or recreation (including sports), is an essential part of our divinely created humanity as the image of God and is therefore an intrinsic good. . .

The[se] unenthusiastic references to play . . . represent what is undoubtedly a considerable portion of the story about play that has been told to countless numbers of Christian believers throughout the ages. It often seems like Christianity has no place for play or for the joyous celebration of life. It’s no wonder, then, that play seems out of bounds for many believers.

The universal and transcultural fact is that children are natural born players. This well-attested observation is sufficient in and of itself to establish the idea that play is an indelible characteristic of human . . .

The riotous and uproarious play of animals also teaches us something about the authenticity of play as a vital part of natural life . . . Surely the animals tell us something about the playfulness of the God who made them . . . and about ourselves as made in His image.
Whataya think?
Jesus loves the Pittsburg Penguins.

That's all I have to say about that.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4497
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:56 am

Jesus partied. Why can't we?

In all seriousness, I think play is beneficial to a great degree in the Christian life, as I consider it a blessing to have the time to be able sit back and have a laugh or five.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19303
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 am

The 2014-15 version of the KC Royals had a special "chemistry". Apart from playing baseball (which is as much a job as it is play) they played in the clubhouse, on the team plane, and on the golf coarse. They also mourned together the deaths of a few of the players parents. Anyone could see there was something special there, but many dismissed the whole notion of 'team chemistry'. It helped them get to back-to-back World Series'.

So - apart from the rejuvenating benefits of solo play - corporate play has a role in bonding and binding a group. Especially men it seems. A fond childhood memory is of my dad and brother and I roughhousing (wrestling) on the living room floor. Even better was that my mom would scold us so it felt like we were doing something forbidden or dangerous together.

The *juking, jibing, and joking around here helps build up the group, and makes the C in CPS stronger.

*This is quite apart, though, from mean-spirited comments and arguments that get going around here sometimes. By me as much as anyone.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 16944
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:53 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:31 pm
I was reading the I Just Like The Sound Of It thread a few minutes ago I realized just how silly it is. And how some may think that thread in particular and CPS in general have no place in Christian life. Which lead to the larger consideration of the importance of play. I have no doubt that dozens of Christians have signed up for CPS only to quickly leave because of so much frivolity here. In the mind of many, the Christian life must be solemn and well ordered. H. L. Mencken once quipped that “puritans,” (serious-minded Christians) are “people who have a deep, foreboding fear that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time.

My church and our small group are very intentional in making time for play and feasts and festivals. Escape rooms, bowling, or concerts in the park form tight bonds. Dietrich Bonhoeffer taught his Christian community that it's important to pray for and play with one another. It's difficult to hate a man that you pray for and play with. Here's a wonderful article on A Serious Theology of Play by David Naugle. It's only about a 10 minute read and it's very interesting.
Naugle wrote:Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once observed that Christians “have no joy.” He also said, should he ever come to believe in God, he would only believe in a “God who danced” (40). Sadly, he was never able to locate such a God. . .

Play, defined quite broadly as any legitimate and moral activity engaged in for enjoyment or recreation (including sports), is an essential part of our divinely created humanity as the image of God and is therefore an intrinsic good. . .

The[se] unenthusiastic references to play . . . represent what is undoubtedly a considerable portion of the story about play that has been told to countless numbers of Christian believers throughout the ages. It often seems like Christianity has no place for play or for the joyous celebration of life. It’s no wonder, then, that play seems out of bounds for many believers.

The universal and transcultural fact is that children are natural born players. This well-attested observation is sufficient in and of itself to establish the idea that play is an indelible characteristic of human . . .

The riotous and uproarious play of animals also teaches us something about the authenticity of play as a vital part of natural life . . . Surely the animals tell us something about the playfulness of the God who made them . . . and about ourselves as made in His image.
Whataya think?
Jesus loves the Pittsburg Penguins.

That's all I have to say about that.
Do you want sects? Because this is how you get sects.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14850
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: A Divine Waste of Time - Theology of Play

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 am

I live in Pittsburgh.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply