From Yesterday's Notes

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

From Yesterday's Notes

Post by DAN » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:38 pm

To put it mildly, my church has been going through upheavals the last few years. I have a few friends interested in what's going on, so I give them a brief report every week. This was from yesterday; I thought some might find it interesting. Probably vastly overrating how interesting it is, no doubt. At any rate:

From my notes yesterday. I should start by noting that the sermon was good and so was the music, if you don't mind it being impossible to sing along with.

1) More people, maybe up to 125 or so. I got the impression that a pretty fair number were part of a "chorale" that was here just for the day, but I can't be sure.

2) 30 seconds in, I became convinced that someone was going to ask me how I liked the show afterwards.

3) I wouldn't have believed it possible that we could make an unsingable dog's breakfast out of "There's Pow'r in the Blood" and two other classic hymns, but we did it. On the plus side, at least we sang three classic hymns.

4) "700 Club" floated through my mind. Conclude what you will.

5) The theme was about reaching out to people different from ourselves. A laudable goal, but I was on the point of laughter. A more solidly white, middle-class group of people would be difficult to imagine, and the bulk of them CERTAINLY didn't come from the surrounding neighborhood, which is older, poorer, and browner. I still haven't heard anything about reaching out to the neighborhood. The last time I mentioned it to the then-pastor, he shot it down on the grounds that such people cost more to minister to than they contribute. Yes, I am serious. At any rate, if I had to judge by what I'm seeing now, leadership still appears determined to create an island of whiteness in the neighborhood once a week. I don't think that is doable long-term. Maybe they'll prove me wrong about either their intent or about their results.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: From Yesterday's Notes

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am

maybe try going to Mass. Close your eyes, pray, and enter in.

The only agenda will be presenting The Sacrament in a solemn manner.

It's almost like the whole thing is designed to be Christ centric.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:01 am

I can't tell whether the experience was mostly positive or negative. You liked the sermon and the music, except for the fact that you couldn't sing along. I get that--our organist likes to hit the trumpet button on the organ and wage war against the choir.

Seems like the lack of community outreach drives you batty. Can you use the space for any of your ESL classes and maybe kill two birds with one stone?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 am

Seems like the lack of community outreach drives you batty.
Oh yes. For years the focus has been , as far as I can tell, on anything but going out into the neighborhood.
Can you use the space for any of your ESL classes and maybe kill two birds with one stone?
II'm not sure what you mean.There's certainly enough space for more classes, God knows! In theory, we could use ESL as an outreach tool. That's actually our justification, on paper, for doing it now. In practice, it seems to me that it works better the other way around: if people are brought into the church, they are more open to improving their English. Trust is something of a factor. A lot of our students have come from the Hispanic congregation that meets in the building.

haven't had so much as a monthly prayer walk in years. God forbid we should knock on doors and offer to pray. All the emphasis is on getting people to drive across town. In Tulsa, that is just odd. We have one of the highest per capital concentrations of churches in the country and in order to get to us, you have to drive past plenty of other churches as good as ours. Still, that appears (I may find out otherwise) to be our strategy.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.