Dangerously High Temperatures Forecast For Phoenix

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: Dangerously High Temperatures Forecast For Phoenix

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:51 pm

I experienced​ 120F one day in Nevada. I can't imagine living in that. Gimme -45 any day over that.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:45 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:51 pm
I experienced​ 120F one day in Nevada. I can't imagine living in that. Gimme -45 any day over that.
I don't know, Rev. Yes, heat, like cold, can kill. But with heat, a person outside in it can escape into shade, and be hydrated with enough water to be O.K. Outside in minus 45, what can one do?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:45 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
I don't know, Rev. Yes, heat, like cold, can kill. But with heat, a person outside in it can escape into shade, and be hydrated with enough water to be O.K. Outside in minus 45, what can one do?
Go inside and escape the cold?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:47 am

ReverendThom wrote:

Done. How about we start with July - all of it?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:59 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:45 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
What would you like to do?

You can walk on water. This is somehow undersold.
And if you fall through the ice (because there's a current and the ice is thin) you're cold while you're in the water but you're fine once you get out. I've done this miles from anywhere and shockingly you're perfectly warm after the outside layer freezes (almost instantly). Do what the dogs and wolves do - roll in the snow - immediately. The snow adheres to your wet outer layer and freezes. Now you're fine. You can keep going for the rest of the day like that. It's amazing because you're expecting to die of hypothermia and you are warm. Whereas if it's near freezing you're in big trouble. So really -45 is preferable if you wanna walk on water. The whole back country becomes accessible once everything deep freezes. It's much easier to split cold wood for a fire.

Dress for it and you can do pretty much anything you want short of swimming and I covered that already. LOL! As long as there is little to no wind. With wind it's a bit more endurance oriented. I used to take the dog and go camping. The dog pulled the sled. Clear cold weather isn't a problem.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:57 am

Survival tips from uncle Rusty 🤣

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Dangerously High Temperatures Forecast For Phoenix

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Dress in layers for the cold. Can't undress in layers for heat. Buck naked and you still fry your franks and beans.

Don't get me wrong. I hate winter. Gimme 90 degrees all day every day. But 120? No way Jose

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:47 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Dress in layers for the cold. Can't undress in layers for heat. Buck naked and you still fry your franks and beans.

Don't get me wrong. I hate winter. Gimme 90 degrees all day every day. But 120? No way Jose

So would a place with an average annual temperature of 24C be closer to your ideal than another place with an average annual temp of 2C?

You only think you hate winter. Everyone in Winterpeg loves winter otherwise they'd move. Surely this is obvious?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:12 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Some years, we can have some of this kind of heat in June. Some years are milder.

Monsoon season arrives on July 1st and with that, much cloudiness, much lower temps, and the frequent cooling thunder storms. Most of our rainfall comes in monsoon. Monsoon lasts until nearly Fall. So, when we get through June, we're happy here.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am

Here's an interesting but alarming statistic:

"Phoenix temperatures rose to 120 degrees and above only three times in recorded history — twice in 1990 and once in 1995 [.....] the city has hit 118 degrees 11 times, most recently last summer." (From today's AP article on Yahoo News, "Sizzling heat wave creates health hazard in southwestern US")