The Cigar box guitar thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

The Cigar box guitar thread

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Here it is.

I'm looking at a 3 string cigar box guitar. I'm ready to pull the trigger.

It'll be one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3fb98cShM

Fretless. Three string. I met Tim and it was a cool tent setup with nice demo of a guitar or two.

Call me a little crazy, but I'm really leaning toward a Yamaha THR10C amp.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: The Cigar box guitar thread

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:22 pm

This is my sons. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Interesting fact: If a tobacco logo or tobacco TM name is on the cigar box then they're illegal in much of the world. Because much of the world has banned non-tobacco products from bearing tobacco branding. So for example, historical photos of the old tobacco sponsored formula one teams can't be sold or displayed in public anymore.

The original idea was to end tobacco brand promotion on non-tobacco products which was proliferating for a little while.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Rusty wrote:Interesting fact: If a tobacco logo or tobacco TM name is on the cigar box then they're illegal in much of the world. Because much of the world has banned non-tobacco products from bearing tobacco branding. So for example, historical photos of the old tobacco sponsored formula one teams can't be sold or displayed in public anymore.
That sucks

It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:40 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm
Rusty wrote:Interesting fact: If a tobacco logo or tobacco TM name is on the cigar box then they're illegal in much of the world. Because much of the world has banned non-tobacco products from bearing tobacco branding. So for example, historical photos of the old tobacco sponsored formula one teams can't be sold or displayed in public anymore.
That sucks

It does indeed. And perfectly reasonable uses, like the cigar box guitar, are casualties. If one obliterates the branding then it's just a cedar box guitar with odd graffiti.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Ever check out Shane Speal and Justin Johnson? Those cats can play!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:10 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 pm
Ever check out Shane Speal and Justin Johnson? Those cats can play!
Since I saw Tim at the fair grounds I have looked a lot into the interwebs. Justin Johnson is from the Raleigh area and his shovel video keeps popping up-- so does Samantha Fish's videos. She's rocking the cigar box (4 string). I've been looking and there's a few lesson pages out there that have my attention.

I've put in the order for the 3 string. I'll keep you posted. I could definitely see making a steampunk cigar box guitar in the future. Some lights and gauges (somehow wiring them up to dial around).

From some light searching, this head looks really cool. If the gears turned while tuning that would be crazy wicked-- closer look makes it seem like it's a pass through. But it's quite a look.

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Samantha Fish is from Kansas City. I've seen her a few times. There are currently three gals from KC who are gonna be big and she's one of them. I just wish she'd stop wearing the tight clothes. She can play well enough that she doesn't need to do that. Besides, she's not all that attractive.

Seasick Steve is another guy to watch. For some reason, he's very popular in Europe but nobody here knows who he is.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:34 pm
Interesting fact: If a tobacco logo or tobacco TM name is on the cigar box then they're illegal in much of the world. Because much of the world has banned non-tobacco products from bearing tobacco branding. So for example, historical photos of the old tobacco sponsored formula one teams can't be sold or displayed in public anymore.

The original idea was to end tobacco brand promotion on non-tobacco products which was proliferating for a little while.
I wonder if inserting a cigar into the guitar would make it legal for sale?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:16 pm
Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:34 pm

I wonder if inserting a cigar into the guitar would make it legal for sale?
If it's a tobacco product then you have to be licensed as a tobacco retailer to sell it. And if you actually insert the cigar then you might need a manufacturer's license too. This is going from bad to worse.

This kind of logic is being applied by the FDA with retailers in the US now. I think they caught it from Canada.

Keep 'em coming but I warn you, it just gets worse.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:33 am

There is a lot of info on the CBG. I'm still getting my rhythm down and some control on my slide. It's trickier than I thought but it does sound pretty good. The amp has a lot of options on it. I mostly try not to blow out the house nor distort too much. And I'm avoiding getting too caught up in fiddling with knobs for the sound variation. I'll usually hit a preset and leave it alone.

I did pick up some picks-- a variety pack.

One instructional video says to use the thumb and the finger to pluck the first and last string (or vice versa) and others show pick usage.

The trek continues--- it's a good distraction as I shift focus and clear my head for the writing I'm working on.
The 6s of 1st John:

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:36 am

May as well play a Canjo:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:36 am
May as well play a Canjo:
The shovel sounds better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 am

So, my 3 string cigar box is fretless. It is fun.

I've been eyeing the fretted ones though--- any thoughts on 3 vs. 4 string?

The 4 string fretted ones look like more care and detail are put into them on the construction side.

Looking at the 3 string fretted boxes in the videos they look wicked easy to play for single fingering or full fret fingering. They don't look like as much care goes into the design (typically).

I'm not too close to making my own but thinking more about it--- my garage isn't in quite the shape it needs with the tools for some of the precision. The attraction is high for the combination of wood working and electronics. I can see this being something quite fun to put effort into (after I review tools, budget, work space, and parts).

Thoughts?
The 6s of 1st John:

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

Have you looked at CB Gitty? They sell kits and there are dozens of videos floating around. I think you could do the whole project with an electric drill and a few drill bits, a $15 pull saw or back saw, a combo flat/half-round file, and an assortment of sandpaper.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:35 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am
Have you looked at CB Gitty? They sell kits and there are dozens of videos floating around. I think you could do the whole project with an electric drill and a few drill bits, a $15 pull saw or back saw, a combo flat/half-round file, and an assortment of sandpaper.
I'm not quite there yet. I see the wonders they have and there is a cigar bar not far from my home.

Early estimates from glancing is that a component kit with the pieces I'd want would run about as much as the ones on sell (3 string).

It shouldn't be too difficult with some of the kits. It's definitely a starting place to be looking. A budget assessment is a good next step (scratch out how I'd like to begin and what quality/type).
The 6s of 1st John:

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:45 pm

I have a couple beater guitars in waiting that I bought at auction. Like $5 each. Whenever I get around to trying to build one I'll swipe the tuners off them. One has a nice fretted neck a guy could transplant on to a cigar box if he wanted to build a six-string model, or even a stripped down four-string. If you want to electrify it you could build your own piezo pickup for a few dollars in parts and some solder and a scavenged jack and knob from a radio from the second hand shop.

Stop making excuses and get out there and build one.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:45 pm
I have a couple beater guitars in waiting that I bought at auction. Like $5 each. Whenever I get around to trying to build one I'll swipe the tuners off them. One has a nice fretted neck a guy could transplant on to a cigar box if he wanted to build a six-string model, or even a stripped down four-string. If you want to electrify it you could build your own piezo pickup for a few dollars in parts and some solder and a scavenged jack and knob from a radio from the second hand shop.

Stop making excuses and get out there and build one.
:)

This type of motivation makes me want to give up my day job. I'd love to have more time to fiddle around and do some builds. First step-- I want to play better. Fish or cut bait?

Yes, I'll start moving forward to make the magic happen.

G.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I just found out where I can score a few cigar boxes. :cheese: :cheese:
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Score!

The 6s of 1st John: