Tattoo Suggestions

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Tattoo Suggestions

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Yeah, I know I'm broke and may not be able to do this for a long time, but sometimes I think it might help to have a reminder to survive. The semi colon tattoos are kind of nice, but so many other people have them.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Tattoo Suggestions

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Jocose has a green sharpie pen, that he has used to apply tats to pipes.

How about this on your bottom... in lovely green sharpie?

Then you can return the favour by mooning Jared's in-laws... in person. That ought to do it.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Then you can return the favour by mooning Jared's in-laws... in person. That ought to do it.
Both Jared and I are struggling with serious issues and you used to opportunity to prove that you are in fact the biggest <jerk> on CPS.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:24 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Both Jared and I are struggling with serious issues and you used to opportunity to prove that you are in fact the biggest <jerk> on CPS.
Sorry. I didn't post in either of those threads.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Shake hands and keep moving, gents. Perceived injury and instant apology. CPS at its best.

Can a Jew be voluntarily tattooed, Fainn? I always thought the answer was "no." Maybe I'm wrong, though.

You have a son that lives right now and is looking forward to seeing the world and his family. No desire to be sententious, but that seems like a reason to never give up. If you're allowed to tattoo yourself, why not a memory of him? I'm not a big fan of tattoos and am a completely uninked sailor, but I've become friends with one of the managers at my club and he has all of his kids birth footprints tattooed on his torso and it actually looks just like them. I had to admit the sentimental value.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:21 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:16 pm
Shake hands and keep moving, gents. Perceived injury and instant apology. CPS at its best.

Can a Jew be voluntarily tattooed, Fainn? I always thought the answer was "no." Maybe I'm wrong, though.

You have a son that lives right now and is looking forward to seeing the world and his family. No desire to be sententious, but that seems like a reason to never give up. If you're allowed to tattoo yourself, why not a memory of him? I'm not a big fan of tattoos and am a completely uninked sailor, but I've become friends with one of the managers at my club and he has all of his kids birth footprints tattooed on his torso and it actually looks just like them. I had to admit the sentimental value.
My old rabbi was tatted. The specific verse is in reference to cutting flesh for the dead. It was a prohibition against ancestor worship and it is known that piercings were allowed.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Here's my tattoo suggestion:
If you don't know what to get then don't get anything.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm
+7

I'm heavily tattooed and been so for over 3 decades, I now wear long sleeved shirts.

Tattoos aren't all they're cracked up to be. The "meaning" is soon lost and people don't care about it anyway.

Save your pennies for a camera and make it about your child and not about you.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm
FredS wrote:
+7

I'm heavily tattooed and been so for over 3 decades, I now wear long sleeved shirts.

Tattoos aren't all they're cracked up to be. The "meaning" is soon lost and people don't care about it anyway.

X7
Rich Corinthian Leather

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:41 pm

0, 0
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:
+7

I get what you're saying, but I see it as a reminder of having something to live for. I've dealt with suicidal thoughts everyday for over 4 years now.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:21 pm
hugodrax wrote:

My old rabbi was tatted. The specific verse is in reference to cutting flesh for the dead. It was a prohibition against ancestor worship and it is known that piercings were allowed.
Doctrine.
Only Christians argue about doctrine.

What, are you crazy?
Hell no!
Well, if you believe in hell.
Jews don't. Generally. Mostly. Pretty much all-ly.

Jews have argued doctrine for millennia, saved every word, and that was before tape recorders!

The arguments are studied and argued about at Yashivas and dinner tables as much as the Pentatuchian source material about which the arguments take place. Maybe more. No, definitely more.

Are tattoos prohibited in scripture?
Yes.
No.
Perhaps.

But what constitutes a tattoo?
Broken flesh?
Ink?
Permanent ink?
The name of g-g-g, oops, almost slipped, G-d?
Is the attempt to mark the skin like pagans a paganesque idolatry?

Inquiring minds want to know.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article ... ewish-law/

The consensus, in my experience, seems to align with the position represented by Maimonides:

Maimonides clearly sees the origin of this prohibition as an act of idolatry. He includes it in his section concerning idolatry and then explicitly states: “This was a custom among the pagans who marked themselves for idolatry….” But, [Maimonides] concludes that regardless of intent, the act of tattooing is prohibited (Mishneh Torah, Laws of Idolatry 12:11).

But we could argue. And we will.
Meanwhile, I'll have the soup.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm
Fainn wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Doctrine.

What, are you crazy?
Hell no!

Jews have argued doctrine for millennia, saved every word, and that was before tape recorders!

The arguments are studied and argued about at Yashivas and dinner tables as much as the Pentatuchian source material about which the arguments take place. Maybe more. No, definitely more.

Yes.
No.
Perhaps.

Broken flesh?
Ink?
Permanent ink?

The consensus, in my experience, seems to align with the position represented by Maimonides:

Maimonides clearly sees the origin of this prohibition as an act of idolatry. He includes it in his section concerning idolatry and then explicitly states: “This was a custom among the pagans who marked themselves for idolatry….” But, [Maimonides] concludes that regardless of intent, the act of tattooing is prohibited (Mishneh Torah, Laws of Idolatry 12:11).

You might have had enough soup.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm
Fainn wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Doctrine.

What, are you crazy?
Hell no!

Yes.
No.
Perhaps.

Broken flesh?
Ink?
Permanent ink?

You might have had enough soup.
What?
You don't put vodka in your borscht?
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 am

Someone once said that tattoos are more permanent than marriage. Think about it. Marriage is 'til death do you part.

Personally, I've never considered tattoos for any reason, much less for a reminder. I have certain memories that I recall every day, and have pledged to continue to do so for as long as I live or am otherwise able, in order to preserve them. One is of the 1st time I ever saw my wife, ca. 1969, in high school geometry class. I can tell you how long her hair was, how she wore it, how she looked, and what color her dress was. Other memories are more personal.

BTW, I see you're selling your banjo? I remember my wife calling me at work one day, telling me what we needed, and what our bank account balance was. "Take the banjo to a pawn shop", I said. She did, and took the guitar also. I never asked how much she got, and she never told me. She did say that the pawn broker kept asking if she was sure, and then he kept apologizing about how little he could give her for them. I sold my guns myself.

The best deal my wife and I ever got, though, was when we sold our high school and college class rings, when gold was bringing a good price in the mid-'80s. We got enough funds to take the kids to Disney. We all still talk about that trip.

Anyway ... I pray that things work out for you, Fainn. I really do.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 am

Some thoughts on tattoos from The Art of Manliness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 am

Find a shop that has a minimum of like $30-45 and just get the semi-colon. It would be the shop minimum, guaranteed.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 am
Find a shop that has a minimum of like $30-45 and just get the semi-colon. It would be the shop minimum, guaranteed.
The ones I have found is $60. I'm also considering getting the Hebrew word "chayah" which has 3 characters and means "live".

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm
Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:
+7

X7
I am anti-tattoo.

I am not much of a camera guy either, but the camera sounds like a better idea.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 am

Aren't butterflies pretty? I've always thought of them as a symbol of the interconnectedness of life. You should get a butterfly on your lower back. :mrgreen: