Tattoo Suggestions

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: Tattoo Suggestions

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:10 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:37 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:17 pm
Fainn wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 am
Find a shop that has a minimum of like $30-45 and just get the semi-colon. It would be the shop minimum, guaranteed.
The ones I have found is $60. I'm also considering getting the Hebrew word "chayah" which has 3 characters and means "live".
There are several variations of Hebrew's "to live," but חֲיָא is the gist. Not a bad idea, in my opinion, but I'd get it without the punctuation: חיא.
This is the variation I'm most familiar with Fainn:

It's also the way I've always seen it rendered on jewelry and such.
I think that would make a very nice tattoo.

This is a brass paperweight I use as a pipe holder.

Both render the same basic meaning, "to live." There is also חיה, but it is slightly different, as its meaning is closer to "living."
Last edited by Joshoowah on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:10 am
durangopipe wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Find a shop that has a minimum of like $30-45 and just get the semi-colon. It would be the shop minimum, guaranteed.
The ones I have found is $60. I'm also considering getting the Hebrew word "chayah" which has 3 characters and means "live".
There are several variations of Hebrew's "to live," but חֲיָא is the gist. Not a bad idea, in my opinion, but I'd get it without the punctuation: חיא.

Both are the render the same basic meaning, "to live." There is also חיה, but it is slightly different, as its meaning is closer to "living."
That was the one I was considering before you showed me the other one.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 am
Joshoowah wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

Both are the render the same basic meaning, "to live." There is also חיה, but it is slightly different, as its meaning is closer to "living."

All of this talk got me curious, so I looked more into it, seeing as my memory of the terminology and usage is not as tip-top as it used to be.

חי is typically used to denote something (or someone) as living. It is, in fact, used this way 172 out of 239 occurrences (72%!).

חיה is typically used in the sense of "being alive" ("to be alive"). It's used in this way 184 out of 283 times (65%). The other 35% is made up of senses ranging from "to keep alive," "to recover (from illness)", "to leave alive," and "to come to life."

These two senses, חי and חיה, are what you're most likely looking for, as they are the predominant verbs used to describe something or someone as alive or living. It's worth noting that they both come from the same root. There are, of course, various other usages in non-verb form (nouns, adjectives, etc.). An interesting one is נֶפֶשׁ, which literally means "(one's) soul" but is often translated as "life." Another interesting translation of the term is "throat," which I've always loved, but "breath" is also a possible translation. This brings me to another interesting verb, נפח, which is the verb used in Gen. 2:7, where God "breathed" life into man. נפח is actually a rare verb that only appears 12 times in all of the Torah as well, with Gen. 2:7 being the first occurrence.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Jester
Usher
Usher

Post by Jester » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 pm

My suggestion. Image
When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 pm
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

All of this talk got me curious, so I looked more into it, seeing as my memory of the terminology and usage is not as tip-top as it used to be.

חי is typically used to denote something (or someone) as living. It is, in fact, used this way 172 out of 239 occurrences (72%!).

חיה is typically used in the sense of "being alive" ("to be alive"). It's used in this way 184 out of 283 times (65%). The other 35% is made up of senses ranging from "to keep alive," "to recover (from illness)", "to leave alive," and "to come to life."

These two senses, חי and חיה, are what you're most likely looking for, as they are the predominant verbs used to describe something or someone as alive or living. It's worth noting that they both come from the same root. There are, of course, various other usages in non-verb form (nouns, adjectives, etc.). An interesting one is נֶפֶשׁ, which literally means "(one's) soul" but is often translated as "life." Another interesting translation of the term is "throat," which I've always loved, but "breath" is also a possible translation. This brings me to another interesting verb, נפח, which is the verb used in Gen. 2:7, where God "breathed" life into man. נפח is actually a rare verb that only appears 12 times in all of the Torah as well, with Gen. 2:7 being the first occurrence.
Great stuff, Joshoowah, thanks!

Fainn, I'll just add this . . .

In the Jewish community the "chai" as it appears in the paper weight/pipe stand has assumed status not just as a word but as a symbol asserting both one's existence and telling the world and the Jewish community that you are Jewish - and proud of it.

Many young Jewish men Wear a "chai" around their neck instead of a mezuzah. It also shows up this way as a decorative object in Jewish homes in things like this paperweight,on Tee Shirts, and yes, this is the way it appears on Jews in tattoos.

(sounds like a great name for a Metal Klezmer band: Jews with Tattoos.)

If you're wanting a symbol instantly recognized in the Jewish community (or anywhere there is a large concentration of Jews, like Israel or New York), I think the two character (cheit, yod) "chai" would be it. I don't know what it's familiarity is in the Messianic community.

https://www.israeldepot.com/shop/tshirt ... i-t-shirt/

https://www.judaicawebstore.com/14k-lar ... fgodr-AJ-w

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/22588435603748258/

etc.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:55 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

In the Jewish community the "chai" as it appears in the paper weight/pipe stand has assumed status not just as a word but as a symbol asserting both one's existence and telling the world and the Jewish community that you are Jewish - and proud of it.

Many young Jewish men Wear a "chai" around their neck instead of a mezuzah. It also shows up this way as a decorative object in Jewish homes in things like this paperweight,on Tee Shirts, and yes, this is the way it appears on Jews in tattoos.

If you're wanting a symbol instantly recognized in the Jewish community (or anywhere there is a large concentration of Jews, like Israel or New York), I think the two character (cheit, yod) "chai" would be it. I don't know what it's familiarity is in the Messianic community.

etc.
Tryingto find a larger version of חֲיָא, but not having any luck.

Jocosoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Jocosoe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:37 pm

I can't relate™.
..prepare to be ostracized-TNLP

"I say, Wos: are ypou available for cabaret or kids' parties?" - huddsbaggie

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:55 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

etc.
Tryingto find a larger version of חֲיָא, but not having any luck.
חיא

I would, however, recommend getting one of the above mentioned variants. If you need larger versions of those, here they are:

חי
חיה

If you need something larger, I can e-mail it to you, as the forum won't allow it to be made any bigger.

ImageImage

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 am

Off Topic
I know a guy who went out of jail too early, because of good behaviour. They had no chance to finish his body-art. On his upper arm now a naked, one breasted lady is posing. He left it that way, to keep it authentic.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 pm

infi-

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:46 pm

I wish I could gift you mine. Not that it would mean anything to you. I just wish I didn't get it to begin with. It's not so much the fact that I got a tattoo, the problem is the one that I chose spur of the moment and drunk! Don't do that. :lol:

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:46 pm
... the problem is the one that I chose spur of the moment and drunk! Don't do that. :lol:
That could be a universal truth, right there.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 pm

I did a mock up. With just the black letters and no elaboration, it looks kinda ghey.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 pm
I did a mock up. With just the black letters and no elaboration, it looks kinda ghey.
Blessing on your house, Fainn.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 am

I have χάρις (greek for grace) on my left upper arm in a very plain text that would have been found on any scroll in the first century AD.
My advice is do as much research as you can stand and then do some more research. Foreign phrases are almost always on the lists of top 10 worst tattoos in history. Also, be sure you want the same thing for a long long time before you sit in the chair. I've heard of hanging it on your bathroom mirror for a year before you go and get it. Finally, details are lost with age so the beautiful portrait on someone's back will turn to a muddled mess in their 50's or sooner. Text is king in my opinion.
I thought long and hard about mine for several years. In my belief, God's grace is permanent. A tattoo reflects that by definition. It is on my left arm because it's closer to my heart. I chose the upper arm because I could someday be around other Christians who would see it as a stumbling block and that location is easily covered. Greek because The new Testament was written in greek and it was under the New Covenant that God's grace was extended to the Gentiles, of which I am one.
I hope I helped.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Tattoo Suggestions

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:16 am

Post deleted - technical difficulties.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

joegoat has a good point in that tattoos are not maintenance free. Teeth aren't either. I am reminded of that every time we have a family reunion.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Sid.Stavros
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Sid.Stavros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 am
I have χάρις (greek for grace)
"Haris" meant [first of all] joy, the joy that someone emits when characterizing him with kindly feelings, but also the joy and delight that he causes around him. "Haris" was still synonymous with mercy and gratitude.
Haris was the name of Greek God Hephaestus wife.

Greek because The new Testament was written in greek and it was under the New Covenant that God's grace was extended to the Gentiles, of which I am one.
Greek was the language of the intellectuals of that time [and the "mother" of latin because they copy many things from us, we established colonies in the today's italy from 800 BC] and Jesus too was speaking Greek.

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Off Topic

"Mine was an eagle, too."

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 pm

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.