Tattoo Suggestions

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Tattoo Suggestions

Post by coco » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:45 pm

deleted
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 am

Sid.Stavros wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 am
joegoat wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 am
I have χάρις (greek for grace)
"Haris" meant [first of all] joy, the joy that someone emits when characterizing him with kindly feelings, but also the joy and delight that he causes around him. "Haris" was still synonymous with mercy and gratitude.
Haris was the name of Greek God Hephaestus wife.

Greek because The new Testament was written in greek and it was under the New Covenant that God's grace was extended to the Gentiles, of which I am one.
Greek was the language of the intellectuals of that time [and the "mother" of latin because they copy many things from us, we established colonies in the today's italy from 800 BC] and Jesus too was speaking Greek.
I hesitate to question the fellow who lives in Greece on Greek for fear of leaning more than I ever hoped to... Isn't greek (especially ancient greek) dependant on context to determine the best translation or a word. This is why word for word translations from the original text of scripture can be problematic. Like virtually every other language, words change in meaning over the centuries?
From my research, Ha’-rees in contemporary Greek can be either a proper noun or common noun both having the meaning that you gave it. It is a slight change in pronunciation from the ancient Greek word Kar-is which was also used as both a proper noun and common noun. It was a name for a goddess, but in the case of scripture it was also translated as just grace.
I don't doubt that Christ was able to speak Greek. Being God, He could speak any language He desired. I also don't doubt that He taught in it, along with Aramaic and Hebrew. His disciples were able to pen their epistles in Greek so they would have known it or learned it later in life. Many of them were not considered highly educated when they joined Christ. This leads me to believe even common folk of the time would have had a basic grasp of Greek.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:46 am

I finally came up with a mock-up that I think will work. It will have the Star of David followed by the Hebrew word for "to life". I took pics of it so I can bring it straight to the artist.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Sid.Stavros
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Sid.Stavros » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 am

From my research, Ha’-rees in contemporary Greek can be either a proper noun or common noun both having the meaning that you gave it. It is a slight change in pronunciation from the ancient Greek word Kar-is which was also used as both a proper noun and common noun. It was a name for a goddess, but in the case of scripture it was also translated as just grace.
The 3 "Hareetes" were daughters of Zeus and Evrenome and Homer says that the wife of Hephaestus called Haris [one Haris, more than two spellled Hareetes]" ,from the 3 Χαριτες came the 1 as Χαρις in Greek, another example in english: we say 3 Men but 1 Man or many warriors but the one called worrior so after the first three "Hareetes" the list expanded.

The "Graces" as you call them in english are depicted in later times by famous painters such as Lucas Cranach, Rubens, Enrico Tarenghi and sculptors such as Antonio Caneva and Bertel Thorvaldsen.

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A7%CE ... _Ma287.jpg

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A7%CE ... el_010.jpg

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A7%CE ... graces.jpg

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A7%CE ... e_view.jpg

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A7%CE ... France.jpg

The word Ka-ris that you said is not meaning that, Karis [Καρίς] in Greek is the small shrimp. :D
The Karis as noun means also a different thing from what you said:

From Haris comes the "Haritomene" [Cute Μary] one of the word that the Orthodox Greeks put before Holy Mary because:
"Χαίρε, κεχαριτωμένη ο Κύριος μετά σου" ,archangel Gabriel said to Holy Mary.

* i am self-taught in english so i try to explain some things with simple words.

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:38 pm

I just had three notes from "It is Well" tattooed on my right upper arm.