Favorite smoking weather?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Favorite smoking weather?

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:25 pm

This thread title has good possibilities for the youth room. It wouldn't last long before moderation though.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Favorite smoking weather?

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:12 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm
I complain about it lots, but I'm starting to think -40 is seriously the best.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Tobacco tastes better when you can break off a frozen toe while yer smoking
There fixed it for ya! -40?! Seriously?! What do you smoke in like 10 layers and a winter sleeping bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the shop with my snow suit and propane heater close by. So really the shop warms up to -20c when I'm done and it's pretty enjoyable. For an hour or two at least :)
LOL!

The problem at low temps. is that it's hard to keep the pipe warm enough to get a normal smoke. Even the bowl isn't really warm to touch. The shank cools down. As the shank cools you get more condensation. This is progressive with colder temps. The smoke loses flavour as it cools too. So you have a gurgling mess that has little flavour. It's right about 0 F or -18C when it starts to become a real problem too. I've played with neoprene covers to keep the shank warm and it sorta works for a while. This is walking outside while 'enjoying' a smoke and drawing as we usually do. Only a newb in Winterpeg could say this is good.
Well it was 31 degrees and 90% RH in the backyard the other day and I did not enjoy that smoke at all. I enjoyed the weather, but not the smoke. Which lead me to my reasoning. I always enjoy a smoke in my shop in the winter.

This morning it was 20 and breezy. I did enjoy that much more.

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 pm
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

There fixed it for ya! -40?! Seriously?! What do you smoke in like 10 layers and a winter sleeping bag?

In the shop with my snow suit and propane heater close by. So really the shop warms up to -20c when I'm done and it's pretty enjoyable. For an hour or two at least :)
LOL!

The problem at low temps. is that it's hard to keep the pipe warm enough to get a normal smoke. Even the bowl isn't really warm to touch. The shank cools down. As the shank cools you get more condensation. This is progressive with colder temps. The smoke loses flavour as it cools too. So you have a gurgling mess that has little flavour. It's right about 0 F or -18C when it starts to become a real problem too. I've played with neoprene covers to keep the shank warm and it sorta works for a while. This is walking outside while 'enjoying' a smoke and drawing as we usually do. Only a newb in Winterpeg could say this is good.
Well it was 31 degrees and 90% RH in the backyard the other day and I did not enjoy that smoke at all. I enjoyed the weather, but not the smoke. Which lead me to my reasoning. I always enjoy a smoke in my shop in the winter.

The Ottawa valley hasn't seen 31C yet this summer. It hasn't been summer yet. Something about El Nino. So I forget what that feels like. But that's below 90F. Pipes are fine at 90F. Most of the Americans think 90F is cool and comfortable. You're not still running winter anti-freeze, are you? You have to tell them that it's sympathetic heat fever with your preggers wife or they're gonna think canucks can't take the heat. What are you burning that doesn't work at 31C?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:22 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

LOL!

The Ottawa valley hasn't seen 31C yet this summer. It hasn't been summer yet. Something about El Nino. So I forget what that feels like. But that's below 90F. Pipes are fine at 90F. Most of the Americans think 90F is cool and comfortable. You're not still running winter anti-freeze, are you? You have to tell them that it's sympathetic heat fever with your preggers wife or they're gonna think canucks can't take the heat. What are you burning that doesn't work at 31C?
No, I can take the heat. Read again: I enjoyed it :) But did not enjoy my smoke that day. It was Sunday Picnic. Also, it was 38C with the humidex - which is 100, and I was in my garage which is warmer until the air gets moving out.

You should come here - we've been hitting 28-32ish every day for the past couple weeks :)
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 am

I always seem to enjoy cooler weather smokes as well. My tastes go more toward oriental mixtures as the weather cools. Dunhill Standard Mixture from my deer stand (in late November/early December) is perhaps the best smoke I've ever had.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 pm

When I lived in south central PA the answer without hesitation would be autumn.

But I live in NC now. So. The autumn.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Favorite smoking weather?

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 am

Smoking in the winter in Canada...

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

LOL!

Is this true? I am skeptical.

I hate when the temps are above 80F but am from Michigan.

I'd guess people in the southern midwest (and certainly the south) wouldn't mind 90F. My experience in the northern midwest is far different; we all complain like mad persons when it hits 90.

Also, to stay on topic of the thread, my favorite weather is a cool autumn evening. Somewhere around 35-45F as the sun fades off is just perfect.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

LOL!

I'd guess people in the southern midwest (and certainly the south) wouldn't mind 90F. My experience in the northern midwest is far different; we all complain like mad persons when it hits 90.

Also, to stay on topic of the thread, my favorite weather is a cool autumn evening. Somewhere around 35-45F as the sun fades off is just perfect.
I'm with you. Over about 85 and break out the cigars and snuff. I'm thinking this is Rusterbole. :D

That said, I don't have favorite smoking weather. I have favorite smoking experiences: the smoke after a hunt (Fall/Winter), the smoke of victory (as it happens), the smoke of being with good friends (not at all seasonal, and luckily, not all that rare.).
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 pm

Summer: cigars and chew
Fall: pipe
Winter: pipe and cigars
Spring: pipe
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

LOL!

I'm with you. Over about 85 and break out the cigars and snuff. I'm thinking this is Rusterbole. :D

That said, I don't have favorite smoking weather. I have favorite smoking experiences: the smoke after a hunt (Fall/Winter), the smoke of victory (as it happens), the smoke of being with good friends (not at all seasonal, and luckily, not all that rare.).
It is true. Look at the distribution of population. Hot doesn't mean the same temp. to everyone. "... but I'm from Michigan" is the right qualifier. There is a gradient in the reaction of Americans to hotter ambient temperatures that is inversely proportional to their latitude or roughly proportional the the number of Americans that live north of you. It is adaptation to their environment. Except for the American penchant for keeping the office A/C set at 65F this would be an exact science. We think of it as degrees of Canadian. In many places in New England they refer to clear cool fall days as triple C days. The last C is Canadian. In its extreme anything over freezing is considered uncomfortably warm and these peculiar folks will tell you that they like certain things at -40. This is unusual in Americans but I'll bet there are probably some in Minnesota. You've seen it in this thread. Goose thinks 70F is cold. Pay attention to the weather thread and you'll see it. Americans can deal with heat better than Canadians. If you think 90F is uncomfortably warm then you're closer to Canadian. Do you lapse into French sometimes? That's a clincher.

:lol:
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 am

Back on topic, ...

I enjoy Latakia blends like Nightcap most in cool weather. Have enjoyed bowl fulls back in the Arizona Room at night, listening to soft music.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:05 am

Had a light rain last night when I got home for a late call out...nice pipe on the patio with the rain. A great way to reset the brain and then head to bed.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 am
Back on topic, ...

I enjoy Latakia blends like Nightcap most in cool weather. Have enjoyed bowl fulls back in the Arizona Room at night, listening to soft music.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:55 am

Goose55 wrote:
Back on topic, ...

What is cool weather, for you, in terms of temperature?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am
Goose55 wrote:
Back on topic, ...

Wait a minute. Just wait a minute. You of all people have no right to complain when things go off topic, Mr. Morose Q. Freeword-Association. :D

Back off topic, I've seen people use commas and I've seen people use ellipses, but I've never seen anyone use commas and ellipses. That space you threw in out of sheer goosely exuberance? That's the best part. It's those subtle touches that mark the artist out from the amateur and I would take my hat off to you, if I was wearing one and we were in the same room, which Im not and we won't be, in that order.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 am
hugodrax wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

LOL!

It is true. Look at the distribution of population. Hot doesn't mean the same temp. to everyone. "... but I'm from Michigan" is the right qualifier. There is a gradient in the reaction of Americans to hotter ambient temperatures that is inversely proportional to their latitude or roughly proportional the the number of Americans that live north of you. It is adaptation to their environment. Except for the American penchant for keeping the office A/C set at 65F this would be an exact science. We think of it as degrees of Canadian. In many places in New England they refer to clear cool fall days as triple C days. The last C is Canadian. In its extreme anything over freezing is considered uncomfortably warm and these peculiar folks will tell you that they like certain things at -40. This is unusual in Americans but I'll bet there are probably some in Minnesota. You've seen it in this thread. Goose thinks 70F is cold. Pay attention to the weather thread and you'll see it. Americans can deal with heat better than Canadians. If you think 90F is uncomfortably warm then you're closer to Canadian. Do you lapse into French sometimes? That's a clincher.

ferme la bouche
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am
Goose55 wrote:
Back on topic, ...

Wait a minute. Just wait a minute. You of all people have no right to complain when things go off topic, Mr. Morose Q. Freeword-Association. :D

Back off topic, I've seen people use commas and I've seen people use ellipses, but I've never seen anyone use commas and ellipses. That space you threw in out of sheer goosely exuberance? That's the best part. It's those subtle touches that mark the artist out from the amateur and I would take my hat off to you, if I was wearing one and we were in the same room, which Im not and we won't be, in that order.
I suspect my idea of cool weather (when I start on Latakia blends) is probably a lot colder than Goose's idea of cool weather.
Goose isn't as interested in the bijective map of temps that correspond to various smokers idea of warm, cool, etc.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 am
hugodrax wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

LOL!

ferme la bouche
Up here it's ferme ta gueule, Christian. Sometimes it has adjective church words that describe your mouth too.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:13 am
My 1st favorite is when its raining and 2nd Favorite is when its snowing. I will make time to smoke when either is happening.
Smoking, like fishing, is best done when it's raining. And when it's not.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe