After a year and a half, I get a memorable smoke

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

After a year and a half, I get a memorable smoke

Post by Spyderweb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Hello all. Been gone for a while. Other interests took me away for a while. But just had an experience I thought I'd pop in and share...

For the last year and half, I've lost most of my sense of smell, and with it much of my taste as well. As most of us probably know, colds and similar things can make pipe smoking not so pleasant. That was my experience during this time - smoking a pipe or a cigar was a shadow of what it had been. I could faintly taste a flavored cigar, but everything else was just either nasty or at best not that good. It felt like I had lost a dear friend and did not know if I ever would be able to enjoy a pipe again. Sad times.

Well a couple of weeks ago, my smell and taste started to improve. I had a meal that I truly enjoyed. I started smelling things like shampoo again. So I thought I'd try a pipe again. Tried an aromatic, and while it didn't taste good, it didn't taste nasty. Smoked a flavored cigar, that I had been forced to smoke during these time, and I could almost taste the tobacco. And as the days went by, my smell and taste improved.

Finally tonight, I thought I would give it the ultimate test. A Virginia tobacco with perhaps little to no added flavoring - Samuel Gawith Scottish Autumn Flake. A tobacco I really enjoyed before. I lit it up, and there it was - the flavor I had thought I never would taste again. I am not ashamed to say that I shed a tear while enjoying it. Another memorable smoke that I will remember for years to come.

I'm finishing the bowl up while typing this. Glad I got to share it with the rest of you. And hope that you all can have a memorable smoke as well.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: After a year and a half, I get a memorable smoke

Post by Jocose » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Nice to hear from you Spyder. I have thought about you lately and wondered how you are. Did your brother ever get drawn into the pipe world? Praying that your healing is complete and permanent!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Very happy for you. Senses are one of God's gifts.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Great news, bud. I'm glad to hear from you.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 pm
Nice to hear from you Spyder. I have thought about you lately and wondered how you are. Did your brother ever get drawn into the pipe world? Praying that your healing is complete and permanent!
Nice to hear from you! Really enjoyed our get together up in Georgia. My brother never did get into pipe smoking. Cigars was his thing. But his company made smoking a big no-no so he doesn't even smoke cigars any more. Which makes our weekend get together's for smoking not quite the same.

Thanks for the prayers. It is strange, but something like this really makes you appreciate those things you take for granted; in a way it may be a good thing to have happen to you in that respect.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Great thread. Good post.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:08 am

Hey buddy! Last time I saw you, you had just put the top down on a cherry red convertible and you and your Missus were riding off into the Blue Ridge Mountains. I love meeting up with CPSers, and this was definitely one of the most memorable goodbyes of them all.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 am

Good news! Thank you for sharing with us!

My "most memorable smoke" was a tin of Mac Baren Norwood that Pepik brought to Chicago Pipe Show. It was profoundly well-aged.... perhaps 40 years in the tin. It had the deepest red virginia flavor that I will ever experience.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 am

Good to hear from you and with good news!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm

what up, spydie
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 am

Hello all. Glad to hear from all of you again. Hopefully I won't be such of a stranger. Although, I may have have something else pulling me away - my third grandchild (my first grandson) is due any time.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:08 am
Hey buddy! Last time I saw you, you had just put the top down on a cherry red convertible and you and your Missus were riding off into the Blue Ridge Mountains. I love meeting up with CPSers, and this was definitely one of the most memorable goodbyes of them all.
Yes that was a fun trip, and I truly enjoyed meeting up with you!