Woodturning

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Re: Woodturning

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm

You're plenty good at it. Just do it!
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Ok, followed almost all the tips so far (still not wearing a tie though). I still can’t get past the first step of mounting the wood to the lathe. Here’s my problem (or what I assume to be a problem):

What the deuce is going on here?

A few other shots:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 pm
Ok, followed almost all the tips so far (still not wearing a tie though). I still can’t get past the first step of mounting the wood to the lathe. Here’s my problem (or what I assume to be a problem):

A few other shots:

Those are centres (or centers in the USA I suppose) in the first pictures. I don't know if I'd use that centre on the headstock (the left side of the lathe) but somebody else can chime in. I'd use a "drive spur" though.

You mark the centre of your wood, put the centres on, hold it in place by moving the tailstock (right side) in tight and locking it down, and then you can rough up your piece.

The other piece is a 4-jaw chuck. When you rough a piece you can round it off, then take it off and put it in the 4-jaw check by clamping down...
*edit: are the round ones "jaw chucks"?

Anywho I feel I'm not explaining too clearly lol. This is a good quick intro on your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N92XNewzrpc
Last edited by ReverendThom on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 pm
Despite the Pro Tips™ I offered earlier, I'm not an expert on wood lathes, but I'd say this center (the pointy thing) needs to go if you want to turn between centers. You need a spur center there that will bite into the workpiece. I imagine the center has a taper that matches one inside the lathe spindle so you'll need a long rod (steel or wood) that you can insert through the outside end of the spindle to knock it out.

Pro Tip™ - Hold on to the center with your right hand as you whack the rod with a mallet in your left hand so it doesn't fall out and land on your foot.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific with my question. Yes, I realize those are the centers. My problem is that, as was already pointed out, there is nothing grab the wood (heh) on the drive side. I can't get it off for anything (oh boy, this whole wood turning hobby is a treasure trove of questionable phrases...).

So I was trying to figure out if that center was actually useful in a way that I wasn't seeing, or if there was a trick to removing it in order use one of the chucks or some such other useful item. "Whack it with a stick" hadn't yet occurred to me, I'll try it this afternoon. :bacon:

I can't find a spur type center in any of the parts laying around, I did find a base-plate type thing, so maybe I can fashion something with that.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific with my question. Yes, I realize those are the centers. My problem is that, as was already pointed out, there is nothing grab the wood (heh) on the drive side. I can't get it off for anything (oh boy, this whole wood turning hobby is a treasure trove of questionable phrases...).

So I was trying to figure out if that center was actually useful in a way that I wasn't seeing, or if there was a trick to removing it in order use one of the chucks or some such other useful item. "Whack it with a stick" hadn't yet occurred to me, I'll try it this afternoon. :bacon:

I can't find a spur type center in any of the parts laying around, I did find a base-plate type thing, so maybe I can fashion something with that.
Have you tried a knock-out bar from the backside of the spindle?

I'm late to the thread. Forgive me if you've already covered this.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Found the bar in a box. Had to hit it pretty enthusiastically to loosen it, but it’s off. I have succeeded in reducing a random chunk of pine to splinters. I have also discovered that these chisels may have never been sharpened. Ever.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Made lines in a piece of scrap until it broke. My first wood turning adventure:

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm
... I have also discovered that these chisels may have never been sharpened. Ever.
Sharp chisels will make you a dramatically better turner instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmIv0iXjis
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 pm
Gabriel wrote:
... I have also discovered that these chisels may have never been sharpened. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmIv0iXjis
Jim, you ever use carbide tipped tools? That's all I've been using for a while, but can get kinda pricey if you're doing a lot of stuff, I'm thinking. Should really learn how to sharpen I guess.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 pm
Gabriel wrote:

Jim, you ever use carbide tipped tools? That's all I've been using for a while, but can get kinda pricey if you're doing a lot of stuff, I'm thinking. Should really learn how to sharpen I guess.
I do and I'm a fan. I have a set of the Easy Wood midi chisels and they take a lot of the learning curve out of turning - good clean fun quickly. Like you said, though, they're expensive. I learned with traditional chisels and that's what I enjoy most of the time.

The best upgrade I ever made to my tools is a good sharpening jig. I thought it was just a luxury until I got one. Wow, what a difference it makes in both turning and enjoyment. I should have done it sooner.
Last edited by JimVH on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Gabriel wrote:
'Whack it with a stick' is my go-to solution when I'm stumped with a machine or tool. It's not been as effective when dealing with troubling people, but it's still not a bad idea when all else fails.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm

This thread has been a fun way to spend a Monday afternoon. Oh sure , plenty of office work has gone undone, but it’s been good. It’s only a shame that I can’t smoke in this shop.

At any rate, sharpened a few chisels on the bench grinder and found and oak scrap to practice on. A lot more fun to work with. Still not useful, but certainly fun.

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm
This thread has been a fun way to spend a Monday afternoon. Oh sure , plenty of office work has gone undone, but it’s been good. It’s only a shame that I can’t smoke in this shop.

At any rate, sharpened a few chisels on the bench grinder and found and oak scrap to practice on. A lot more fun to work with. Still not useful, but certainly fun.

It's all useful. Ornamental firewood is a specialty of mine.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Right on!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 pm
Gabriel wrote:
'Whack it with a stick' is my go-to solution when I'm stumped with a machine or tool. It's not been as effective when dealing with troubling people, but it's still not a bad idea when all else fails.
I recommend hitting them harder.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 pm

coco wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Coco, do you still turn?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 pm

JimVH wrote:I like this thread idea.

Well done on the pen. They make fun projects and cherished gifts. You can make a buck or two with them, also.

I'm starting an order for two dozen bottle stoppers this weekend. Pics to come.
??? :)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:19 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 pm
coco wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Coco, do you still turn?

I haven't in a while. I need to dust off the lathe.

I still hit people with sticks, though.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 am

I made this last night. Except I went to put the razor together and realized I left the bushings for the stand on, so I need to put it back on and turn it down some more. Woops. Image