Bird Hunting 2017-2018

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Bird Hunting 2017-2018

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm

I planned to go to south Texas for the quail season opener on the 28th, taking an 89 year old attorney friend along as Ive done for the past several years. At the last minute he was invited to go to Houston to the World Series game, and he decided to go. (He didn't even know who was playing; but when you're in a corporate box who cares who's playing).
Anyway, I asked another friend, but he was helping install new sheet-rock in his son's house that got flooded during H. Harvey. Another friend was leaving for Kansas, getting ready for the deer opener there. My wife volunteered to go along, and I said why not, I needed someone to at least open and close gates for me.

The weekend was a bust, as far as bird numbers. Lizzy found one large covey, but the cover was still thick and very grown up, and I missed the couple shots that I took. The usual fields were literally a sea of grass spurs, still on the stems.

They didn't slow Liz down, she went hard, but went through every dog boot I had.

I ended up using baby socks, wrapped with vet tape and secured with duct tape. By the end of the day, the three remaining boots were pretty much worn out and full of spurs.

I did manage to capture her one solid point with my phone, but shamefully missed the bird, trying to shoot with phone in hand.

We took a couple hour break for lunch and a smoke under the mesquite, enjoyed the view, the quiet, a nap, and collected a few mesquite limbs to take home for bbq and fajitas.

A small mesquite twig served as a great pipe tool, and I put it in the truck and brought it home also.

Gaps similar to these, my wife couldn't handle. In fact, it typically takes either the strength of two men, or one of the rancher's grand-daughters to open them.

All in all, it was a good trip, and the sunsets were awesome.

And my dog got to hunt. She ran ~15 miles, and slept good on the trip home.

As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Bird Hunting 2017-2018

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 am

Great pics. Sounds like a great trip...more birds would have better, but getting out with your wife and your dog...looks like a great trip!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I thought it might be too early, yet, but was anxious to go. One thing I failed to mention, something I've never seen before, was that Lizzy came face to face with a coyote. It was a very strange encounter, about 125 yards from me, and needless to say I didn't try to take a pic. I blew the whistle until the coyote got safe enough distance from Liz. And then shot both barrels, just sprinkling it with shot at that distance. It makes me want to keep her in sight from now on.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:18 pm

That would put you on edge. The coyotes around here are not shy about nabbing a smaller pet like a small breed dog or cat, but they tend to give the medium to larger dogs a wide space. I have a friend in Utah that hunts English cockers and he had a coyote try to grab his younger dog. The older cocker came between them and the Coyote moved off and Mark shot/killed the coyote. He said the dogs looked at him like he had ground sluced a quail...they were very disapproving :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the report S&S.
Your post kept crashing my iPad, but it finally loaded today??

Regarding booties for the dogs:

My buddy, Jack Unruh, turned me on to using sections of balloon bicycle tire inner tube years ago. Slit them at the ankle and tape over the slits with duct or Gorilla tape. Seemed everybody in the southern Panhandle near Snyder was using them and they worked like a charm. The area we hunted was loaded with some nasty cactus and the rubber booties really worked.

A whole lot cheaper than store-bought rubber dog booties.

We didn't bother to tape the toes closed, just cut them a little longer than the dogs' feet.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 pm
Thanks for the report S&S.
Your post kept crashing my iPad, but it finally loaded today??

Regarding booties for the dogs:

My buddy, Jack Unruh, turned me on to using sections of balloon bicycle tire inner tube years ago. Slit them at the ankle and tape over the slits with duct or Gorilla tape. Seemed everybody in the southern Panhandle near Snyder was using them and they worked like a charm. The area we hunted was loaded with some nasty cactus and the rubber booties really worked.

A whole lot cheaper than store-bought rubber dog booties.

We didn't bother to tape the toes closed, just cut them a little longer than the dogs' feet.
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I use inner tubes from motorcycle tires, but could find only three when it was time to leave the house. I guess I didn't secure them well enough because they were gone by noon. The one improvised paw with baby sock, vet wrap and duct tape was still on, so I did three more and put them on her. And somehow she ended up with three still on at the end of the day.
It's pretty rough country especially before there's been a couple good frosts to knock the spurs down. There was a lot of huisatch (wee-satch) in the fields also, worst I've seen on this place. I took a pic of one I'll post when I can.
BTW, you have to zoom in and look close to see Lizzy in the pics, but she's there.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Zoomed in . . .

Lizzy looks like a really eager birder!
How wonderful.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Bird Hunting 2017-2018

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Opening day was a bust. Warm and wet. Never fired a shot nor flushed a bird. Still good to get out.

First hunt for these boots, pretty happy with them.

My companions today.

Back at the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm

My companions today.
The essentials!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:20 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm
Opening day was a bust. Warm and wet. Never fired a shot nor flushed a bird. Still good to get out.

First hunt for these boots, pretty happy with them.

My companions today.

Back at the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice neck attire.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am

JMG wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:20 am

Nice neck attire.
Thanks! Didn't realize it made the pic. You might recognize the pipe, also. :)
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Duck season began this past Saturday, and we quickly built a boat-in blind in our pond.

The "foundation":

A few boards later, and brushed up:

The boat fits perfect:

Opening morning with my oldest and youngest grandsons. A good hunt, and a great morning. The youngest bagged his very first duck, a blue wing teal.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 pm

nice Glad you had birds. My hunting has been wanting...lots of wind and no birds...but getting out is the best
Scott ( aka - Thor )

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 am

Duck hunted yesterday mrng with oldest grandson. Got two mallards, a really big deal down here on the coast, especially this early in the season. Plus four teal, made a one man limit. Stepped in an alligator hole and got water over my waders. Drank black coffee and smoked a pipe in the blind. A good hunt.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Duck hunt this mrng with my son in law and grandson. A short hunt, so my sil and I could get to my grand daughters soccer game, and my grandson to a job he and some friends landed, working at a wedding.
Anyway it was slow, but a nice morning. Saw lots of ducks but they were very skiddish and weren't responding to a call. We ended up with a pair of greater mergansers and 4 scaup, but didn't find the Drake merganser to my great disappointment, because I wanted it for a mount. Hopefully we'll get another chance at one this season.

JMG

Post by JMG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am
JMG wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:20 am

Nice neck attire.
Thanks! Didn't realize it made the pic. You might recognize the pipe, also. :)
I thought the pipe looked familiar.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Inside the boat blind:

A pair of mallards:

The view, looking west from the blind:

A blue wing teal. The brightness of the copper colors on the tail, around the back, and on the belly, according to other guys on our hunting club, is due to the bird's diet of local rice.

Vehicles parked along the hwy at a local state-run waterfowl management area. These guys spend the night in line in order to get a particular hunting spot the next morning. This particular line stretched in two directions, probably 1/2 mile, ~40 vehicles.