Ideas of Dubious Merit in the News...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Ideas of Dubious Merit in the News...

Post by infidel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am

Amazon wants to turn Lord of the Rings into the next Game of Thrones

I'm torn between "Yay!" and "Oh God, what have they done?"
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Ideas of Dubious Merit in the News...

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am

Nope.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 am
infidel wrote:

Nope.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Why not? It can't be any worse than the Bakshi film (his Wizards was far better, and he should have just stuck with that stuff) or the Swedish and Finnish live action TV adaptations.

If Amazon wants to spend time, effort, and cash bringing this to my Prime account - I'm all in. Go for it.

Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Sad story on the front page of Wall Street Journal today.... Amazon Prime fired their TV streaming exec a few weeks ago over some sexual harassment issue. And now it turns out that the guy was a sleazy as the rest of the Hollywood moguls and there was a lot of important business neglected, maybe even some money disappeared.

So Bezos has put himself in charge, it seems. Now he wants a blockbuster -- but nothing innovative, just imitate whatever HBO is doing now.

At least they are copying Game of Thrones, and not something like Girls.

Does Game of Thrones have pipe smoking? I sure hope they don't scrub the tobacco out of LotR.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 am

infidel wrote:

Same here.

However, I've long felt that a drawn out TV series, could be very well done with a work like Tolkien's. I've not watched/read Game of Thrones so I don't know how well/bad something like that has been done before. In the right hands, I think this could be amazing.

However, you are right that this could go horribly wrong, and be the biggest botch in television history. In our day in age of hyper-diversity/feminism/morally questionable good guys/etc, things that already leaked into Jackson's Hobbit, this could be really really bad.

From what I heard, the Tolkien Estate made the entry fee extremely high. My hope is that they have some sort of say when it comes to the integrity of the reproduction. It would be great it if they handed Amazon a list of Absolutely Nots.

But on the whole, I like it. The more Tolkien in the world the better. To paraphrase Thorin "If more of us valued food and cheer and song and Tolkien above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 am

Books are hard to fit into 2-3 hours. This could be a GREAT thing if they stick to the book. I thought they did a piss poor job on the 7 Harry Potter movies but they didn't have the time to work with all the content. Could you imagine if they had 7 seasons to fit in that content? The biggest problem is directors and producers are "artists" and artist crave to put their signature on things. #thisisgoingtoflop #neverforgetthestupidlegolissidestoryintheflippinhobbitmovie
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 am

Absolute Nots* (feel free to add yer own)

-No Peter Jackson

-No extraneous love stories or romantic plot lines. Absolutely no love triangles.

-No Frodo/Sam homosexual "what ifs". Glorify friendship.

-No sex. Not even insinuated.

-No Arwen/Xena Warrior Princess

-No females in the fellowship

-No real world ethnic diversity for the sake of ethnic diversity in realms where there was no ethnic diversity. Ethnic diversity is different in Middle-Earth. There are elves and dwarves. No need for African-American elves and Asian Dwarves. If you want different tones of skin color, Tolkien only gives you very minimal options, the men of Harad, for instance. And they weren't ethnically diverse either. Middle-earth is not America.

-No social commentary driven episodes...let Tolkien's love of trees and nature shine, not the eco-commie climate change screeching. No contemporary shoe-horned view points on war or illegal immigration or Trump or racism, etc. Any commentary to be derived should spring from the story naturally. Let people bring their views to the story, don't allow the story to be a vehicle for any pet political propaganda.

-No non-smoking of pipes or downplay of Hobbit revelry and glowing admiration of pipe-weed

-No empathy for orcs/evil. We need that for Gollum.

-No sullying already pure heroes, that is, don't stain a character just because he's "too wholesome". Faramir doesn't need to be a slightly better Boromir.

-No video game Legolas

-No making dwarves frat boy fart jokes

-No skipping Tom Bombadil/Goldberry, Glorfindel, Fatty Bolger, Ghân-buri-Ghân, Quickbeam, Halbard and the Dúnedain, Imrahil, Bill Ferny, Farmer Maggot or the Scouring of the Shire

--------------------------------------------------------------
*I've got a feeling that no sex, no racial diversity, and no females in the fellowship and/or the no romantic triangles will be the major hurdles. You know there are people just dying to include all of this, and it seems those people are the ones who usually call the shots. "This is what the audience want's, baby!" Do they say "baby" in Hollywood still? They do in my head.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm

tuttle wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 am

-No Peter Jackson

-No extraneous love stories or romantic plot lines. Absolutely no love triangles.

-No real world ethnic diversity for the sake of ethnic diversity in realms where there was no ethnic diversity. Ethnic diversity is different in Middle-Earth. There are elves and dwarves. No need for African-American elves and Asian Dwarves. If you want different tones of skin color, Tolkien only gives you very minimal options, the men of Harad, for instance. And they weren't ethnically diverse either. Middle-earth is not America.

-No social commentary driven episodes...let Tolkien's love of trees and nature shine, not the eco-commie climate change screeching. No contemporary shoe-horned view points on war or illegal immigration or Trump or racism, etc. Any commentary to be derived should spring from the story naturally. Let people bring their views to the story, don't allow the story to be a vehicle for any pet political propaganda.

-No non-smoking of pipes or downplay of Hobbit revelry and glowing admiration of pipe-weed

-No sullying already pure heroes, that is, don't stain a character just because he's "too wholesome". Faramir doesn't need to be a slightly better Boromir.

-No video game Legolas

-No skipping Tom Bombadil/Goldberry, Glorfindel, Fatty Bolger, Ghân-buri-Ghân, Quickbeam, Halbard and the Dúnedain, Imrahil, Bill Ferny, Farmer Maggot or the Scouring of the Shire

*I've got a feeling that no sex, no racial diversity, and no females in the fellowship and/or the no romantic triangles will be the major hurdles. You know there are people just dying to include all of this, and it seems those people are the ones who usually call the shots. "This is what the audience want's, baby!" Do they say "baby" in Hollywood still? They do in my head.
I'm pretty good with the list you've given. The only obvious additions that spring to mind are...

-No using the trolls in Labyrinth as your inspiration for how to represent the goblins.

-No inserting unnecessary (and frankly, inappropriate) comedy into battle sequences (juggling decapitated heads, clumsily accidentally killing the orc sneaking up behind, etc.)

-No altering timelines and/or geography to create a convenient climactic scene that does not exist in the books
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm
tuttle wrote:

-No Peter Jackson

-No video game Legolas

I'm pretty good with the list you've given. The only obvious additions that spring to mind are...

-No using the trolls in Labyrinth as your inspiration for how to represent the goblins.

-No inserting unnecessary (and frankly, inappropriate) comedy into battle sequences (juggling decapitated heads, clumsily accidentally killing the orc sneaking up behind, etc.)

-No altering timelines and/or geography to create a convenient climactic scene that does not exist in the books
Fantastic additions! I'm still mad in Jackson's Hobbit that Gandalf's killing of the Great Goblin was essentially a 'gee hyuk' goof death. What a waste of art.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:07 am

+JMJ+

PJ's Hobbit. Better than the book. *ducks*

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:07 am
+JMJ+

PJ's Hobbit. Better than the book. *ducks*

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 am

+JMJ+

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm

tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm
tuttle wrote:

-No Peter Jackson

-No video game Legolas

Fantastic additions! I'm still mad in Jackson's Hobbit that Gandalf's killing of the Great Goblin was essentially a 'gee hyuk' goof death. What a waste of art.
Almost forgot- no implication that Hobbit Weed is marijuana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:27 pm

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... ed-Fantasy
“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.
I am somewhat relieved that these will be new stories and not simply new adaptations of holy scripture. Because you know anytime anyone puts any canonized text to video there are all kinds of heresies, whether intentional or not.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 pm

No adding Whitey Bulger.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Amazon announces deal for ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV series
Amazon announced Monday that it has obtained the television rights for “The Lord of the Rings” fantasy book series. Under the deal, which includes a multi-season production commitment and a potential spinoff, Amazon’s tales from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth will effectively be a prequel to “The Fellowship of the Ring.”

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm
Amazon announced Monday that it has obtained the television rights for “The Lord of the Rings” fantasy book series. Under the deal, which includes a multi-season production commitment and a potential spinoff, Amazon’s tales from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth will effectively be a prequel to “The Fellowship of the Ring.”
Old news :bacon:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm

infidel wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm
Old news :bacon:
Can I show you some drone video of a dam?

:oops:

Del

Post by Del » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 pm

infidel wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:27 pm
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... ed-Fantasy
“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.
I am somewhat relieved that these will be new stories and not simply new adaptations of holy scripture. Because you know anytime anyone puts any canonized text to video there are all kinds of heresies, whether intentional or not.
This could be a good thing. It could be a really good thing.

I am a little bit excited about it now.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4