Ideas of Dubious Merit in the News...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Ideas of Dubious Merit in the News...

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm
infidel wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm
Amazon announces deal for ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV series
Amazon announced Monday that it has obtained the television rights for “The Lord of the Rings” fantasy book series. Under the deal, which includes a multi-season production commitment and a potential spinoff, Amazon’s tales from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth will effectively be a prequel to “The Fellowship of the Ring.”
Old news :bacon:
Can I show you some drone video of a dam?

:oops:
No need. The market is supersaturated.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:53 pm

To me, all this LoTR and Tolkien talk seems to be designed to make middle aged or older geeks feel better about their geekness. As if it's serious art or something. But hey, it's no skin off my nose if you guys want to prance around wearing a cape and fairy slippers while swooshing your light saber. I've mentioned before that we have our own brand of weird. I get my jollies from tricking fish who have a brain the size of a pea. Go figure.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:53 pm
To me, all this LoTR and Tolkien talk seems to be designed to make middle aged or older geeks feel better about their geekness. As if it's serious art or something. But hey, it's no skin off my nose if you guys want to prance around wearing a cape and fairy slippers while swooshing your light saber. I've mentioned before that we have our own brand of weird. I get my jollies from tricking fish who have a brain the size of a pea. Go figure.
Light sabers? As if.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 am

infidel wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:53 pm
Light sabers? As if.
Brilliant! A LOTR remake set in the Star Wars universe. And by "brilliant," I mean it's a solid "idea of dubious merit."
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 am

So I think this helps us understand how the Amazon deal wound up happening...

Christopher Tolkien resigns as director of Tolkien Estate

He technically resigned August 21st, so this isn't an reactionary resignation. But it is certainly the reason why any talks of any kind ever began in the first place. Christopher has always been more concerned about his father's legacy more than financial gain and he seemed to always put the break on wherever it seemed he could, which, on one had was frustrating because there are genuine fans and people looking to also honor his father's legacy who would get the C&D letter or suffer wrath. But in all honesty I think he just felt that if they put a blanket NO on everything that was in their power, it was easier than piecemealing YES to this and that. Add to that that it seems (via reports and reputation) that others on the board have dollar signs for pupils...

But I've got a feeling his resignation means that we're about to see the Disneyfication of Middle-Earth, and whoever dishes over the most dough will be able to do whatever they want. Like most things, this could be a very, very good thing. Or very, very bad. I think the expanded universe of Harry Potter, for instance, is a good example, but Rowling has a major strangle-hold over all of it. Nothing is approved without her approving. That won't be the case here.

I was really hoping for the Amazon show, that things would be held in decent check since I assumed Christopher Tolkien was still at the helm...but now that that is not the case...Saruman, the spirit of the age, might be in charge.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 am

How many gay characters do you think Disney will be able to slam into this Middle Earth series? Just ruined it for you last hopeful ones out there.
Don't forget that JJ Abrams and John Boyega confirmed that Poe and Finn will have gay romance in the new Star Wars.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 am
How many gay characters do you think Disney will be able to slam into this Middle Earth series? Just ruined it for you last hopeful ones out there.
Don't forget that JJ Abrams and John Boyega confirmed that Poe and Finn will have gay romance in the new Star Wars.
All hobbits are gay. Festive little boogers, the lot of them.

Elves? Self absorbed queens.

Dwarves? Rough trade.

Ents are über gay.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 am

Jester wrote:
I hope you are wrong. That would be a deal breaker.

I can't find anything that will confirm this plot line 100%.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 am
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
That cloak is soo second age.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 am

+JMJ+

Ian McDiarmid: Senator Palpatine used "homoerotic power imbalance" to sway "young Anakin" to the dark side
… "There was definitely something sinister at work there," the Tony Award-winning actor said. "Perhaps a homoerotic power imbalance that spun young Anakin into a whirlwind of self-loathing? Who knows?". …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 am
+JMJ+

Ian McDiarmid: Senator Palpatine used "homoerotic power imbalance" to sway "young Anakin" to the dark side
… "There was definitely something sinister at work there," the Tony Award-winning actor said. "Perhaps a homoerotic power imbalance that spun young Anakin into a whirlwind of self-loathing? Who knows?". …
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 am
Jester wrote:

I've heard rumors but not this specific. They've already got the girrl power, part of me doubts, based purely on marketing reasons that they'd seriously be considering tossing the only male heroes into a romantic relationship with each other. If there is any merit to the rumors I'm going to bet they go the Beauty and the Beast route and give the gay roll to a side character who will be obvious enough to notice, done in a way to make it seem casually normal, but on the whole, inconsequential.

Remember when guys could just be friends?
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm

tuttle wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 pm
Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 am
Jester wrote:

I've heard rumors but not this specific. They've already got the girrl power, part of me doubts, based purely on marketing reasons that they'd seriously be considering tossing the only male heroes into a romantic relationship with each other. If there is any merit to the rumors I'm going to bet they go the Beauty and the Beast route and give the gay roll to a side character who will be obvious enough to notice, done in a way to make it seem casually normal, but on the whole, inconsequential.

Remember when guys could just be friends?
Who says we can't be?