Secret Santa

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:55 am

Steverino wrote:Somebody give us newer guys a rundown of how it went last year.
UncleBob and I exchanged gifts... in secret.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:22 am

Christmas and Easter are quickly becoming the only two times a year it is socially acceptable to say the name of Jesus in public. My current thought is to use this to reach as many people as we can for Christ. This doesn't mean we don't have outreach during other times of the year, but does mean we can get more people to hear about salvation during these times of year. We had two outreaches into the community in the past year, one at Christmas, and one at Easter. Christmas was 1400 or so I think, Easter was 2300 at best guess. These were accomplished by a church of 300 regular attendees (but growing). A lot of the people who came asked why we do this stuff for free... It is a great opportunity to show the love of Christ to the community.

So bah humbug maybe, but I say a great opportunity wasted if you don't use the time people are willing to hear about Jesus.

Jared
I await final judgement [sic]

Post by Jared » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:49 am

I'm in depending on limits and such. figured it nothing else it would be an exchange of pipe tobacco.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. George Washinton Carver

In Vino Vertias, in Cervesio Felicitas

2014, 2015 & 2016 Winner Most Likely Not To Win An Award

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:51 pm

Bah humbug certain does sum up my position quite well, but for the sake of others:

- Don't create a straw man - I am not against gravy!! But I am theologically mature enough to separate gravy from Christmas :)

- The CS Lewis article pretty much hits the nail on the head.

- There is nothing I hate more than shopping, especially for other people. Nothing. Nothing.

- I have some real theological problems with Christmas (gravy aside) that are more appropriate for the theology room here rather than a thread on secret santa. As I generally don't visit that room, you'll all be spared. I'm just not much for debating anything in an online forum.

- It's good that we can use Christmas as an excuse to proselytize. By all means take advantage of it. Take advantage of ANY opportunity God grants us to share the Gospel! Heck, when The DaVinci Code was popular I used THAT as an opportunity, but it doesn't make me a Dan Brown fan.

- Did I mention how I feel about shopping for others?

-Andrew

jam4ar
Elder
Elder

Post by jam4ar » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm

alchemyhunter wrote: Gravy, is what God gave us after wine.... I'm sure of it. Good Grief man... it is GRAVY!!
This has to be one of the best things I've ever read...
alchemyhunter wrote:SEASONAL BREWS!!! Seasonal beer, indicating once a year.
I'm going to be brewing up some seasonal homebrew this weekend... Oh Boy Oh Boy.. It'll have plenty of time to condition in the bottles to make it ever so tasty.. I cannot wait.
Last edited by jam4ar on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

I haven't found the activites that go on around Christmas to be quite as negative; however, I do tend to feel some agreement with C.S. Lewis's thoughts. I think the thing that really bugs me about Christmas is that we become giving and hospitable at this time of the year. What about the rest of the year?
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Jared

Post by Jared » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:05 am

i'll whole heartedly agree. we shouldn't use the big christian holidays as a means of being nice. we should be nice all through the year. I'll agree with adauria though in part that christmas shouldn't be about getting presents and stuff for christmas. orginally christmas was about being with family and those you love and remembering the birth of Jesus just like Easter is about celebrating Jesus's death on the cross as the means to our salvation.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. George Washinton Carver

Joshua_Briar
Usher
Usher

Post by Joshua_Briar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:54 pm

Aduria said: - There is nothing I hate more than shopping, especially for other people. Nothing. Nothing.
I couldn't agree more, but I will say for my Christmas experience and those I actually give gifts too, it's one of my favorite times of year. I start making Christmas gifts by August, and over the years my woodshop has delivered some very nice gifts even if I do say so my self...

All that to say, when I make something for somebody it's a much different experience than buying something for somebody. This year one of the things I'm trying to make is my first pipe, a billiard to provide some relief for my grandfathers 60 yr old grabow (this thing has some serious miles on it).
Neither purchasing or making Christmas gifts make them better(often you could buy something made a lot better than what i complete) but I find it a great deal more satisfying personally.

just a thought...

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:16 pm

So John-Boy is going to organize CPS Secret Santa 2008?

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks, J-B. That sounds great.

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:16 pm

I vote for John-boy or alchemyhunter
YEAH COBS

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:38 am

I vote for john boy
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:10 am

C. S. Lewis wrote:The modern rule is that anyone can force you to give him a present by sending you a quite unprovoked present of his own. It is almost a blackmail.
Even when he's being a curmudgeon, he manages to make me laugh. This part is particularly funny because it's particularly true.

Chesterton, however, took a different view:
If a man called Christmas Day a mere hypocritical excuse for drunkeness and gluttony, that would be false, but it would have a fact hidden in it somewhere. But when Bernard Shaw says that Christmas Day is only a conspiracy kept up by Poulterers and wine merchants from strictly business motives, then he says something which is not so much false as startling and arrestingly foolish. He might as well say that the two sexes were invented by jewellers who wanted to sell wedding rings.
And...
The great majority of people will go on observing forms that cannot be explained; they will keep Christmas Day with Christmas gifts and Christmas benedictions; they will continue to do it; and some day suddenly wake up and discover why.
Assuming I'm back from Ireland before you guys start the swapping, I'd like to join in.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:28 pm

so seriously are we going to get this going? its getting down to the wire.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:39 pm

I don't mind collecting names and sending names back out. What do you guys think the dollar limit/guideline should be?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:39 pm

What about a $10 limit (not including postage/shipping)? That'd allow for a tin or a few ounces of something good. Much more than that, and I might get that look from my wonderful wife.

Zed

Post by Zed » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:45 pm

I am in. Just dont tell the wife. 8O

$10 - $15 no more.
YEAH COBS

Jared

Post by Jared » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 am

I'm in, just as long as it's not more than 10-20.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 am

I'm in as well, and I will agree on the limit, at most $20.00, I don't think anyone would go out and buy a Dunhill Christmas pipe for this but you never know.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:33 am

I'm in.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley