Advent

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Advent

Post by wosbald » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:13 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am
Get the green wood, Wos.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Way to go, Cleon..

Getting everyone all riled up.

:lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:11 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:35 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 pm
This thread is getting off the rails.

Anyway...have a happy and peaceful Advent you numbskulls. :lol:
Right back at you, you purple-tied fruit. :clown:
Yeah, this is confusing.

So what is advent and why is it now, how long does it last, and who celebrates or doesn't?
It seems to cover a number of Pagan holidays.
How is a man so ignorant of Christianity so sure Protestant ideology is better?
Well, I'm naturally a Protestant. In fact and in demeanor. Plus it opened a crack in the horrible domination of a corrupt power at the time. It made our world possible. Luther's ideas about the Solas are appealing.

So when was advent invented and by whom? Some history would be nice.
I bet. And, to take a page out of your book, do a little thinking and research first. I mean, it's not like you can Google any of this and come back with a more intelligent question. Think of this like acquiring knowledge of pipes and tobaccos. The basic information is out there. Find it, acquaint yourself with it, and then ask questions.
Why does it occur coincident with the beginning of the N. hemisphere's winter? I'm not sure that anyone knows when Jesus was born but the bible seems to suggest it was in the spring. What and when did early Christians celebrate before advent was invented?
Look it up: the answer is out there! Come back with what you've found. You can even look up Protestant vs Catholic vs Orthodox ideas on the subject (hint: there is more than one theory). Most of Christian thought and practice is eminently discoverable.
Part of me feels like Rusty knows...but is asking in this way because he wants to know your answer. I sense Odin lurking among his queries. I think the pagan cover-up would be a fun conversation...maybe in another thread.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:10 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:59 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:11 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:35 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 pm
This thread is getting off the rails.

Anyway...have a happy and peaceful Advent you numbskulls. :lol:
Right back at you, you purple-tied fruit. :clown:
Yeah, this is confusing.

So what is advent and why is it now, how long does it last, and who celebrates or doesn't?
It seems to cover a number of Pagan holidays.
How is a man so ignorant of Christianity so sure Protestant ideology is better?
Well, I'm naturally a Protestant. In fact and in demeanor. Plus it opened a crack in the horrible domination of a corrupt power at the time. It made our world possible. Luther's ideas about the Solas are appealing.

So when was advent invented and by whom? Some history would be nice.
I bet. And, to take a page out of your book, do a little thinking and research first. I mean, it's not like you can Google any of this and come back with a more intelligent question. Think of this like acquiring knowledge of pipes and tobaccos. The basic information is out there. Find it, acquaint yourself with it, and then ask questions.
Why does it occur coincident with the beginning of the N. hemisphere's winter? I'm not sure that anyone knows when Jesus was born but the bible seems to suggest it was in the spring. What and when did early Christians celebrate before advent was invented?
Look it up: the answer is out there! Come back with what you've found. You can even look up Protestant vs Catholic vs Orthodox ideas on the subject (hint: there is more than one theory). Most of Christian thought and practice is eminently discoverable.
Part of me feels like Rusty knows...but is asking in this way because he wants to know your answer. I sense Odin lurking among his queries. I think the pagan cover-up would be a fun conversation...maybe in another thread.
Did you work that out with a pencil and paper or did the whole team of trained monkeys pitch in?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.