Bicycle Question

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Bicycle Question

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am

I found a Raleigh Sport on Craig's list---the price and condition look very attractive---more attractive than the paint scheme but that can be taken care of easily enough. What I'm concerned with is this being a 1978 model---I think the last year Raleigh built Sports and I've heard there were some quality issues at the time. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience, good or no so good, with the last of the Sports model?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Bicycle Question

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 am

Hov's back!!!!

We can let his threads die again. :lol:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 am

I don't know anything about bicycles, but I've heard that one should always wear a helmet nowadays.

Meanwhile.... if this one has survived for 40 years, it probably didn't have any initial quality problems.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am

Del wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 am
I don't know anything about bicycles, but I've heard that one should always wear a helmet nowadays.

Meanwhile.... if this one has survived for 40 years, it probably didn't have any initial quality problems.
Um. Potentially real dangerous advice there, Hov.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am
Del wrote:

One shouldn't come here looking for good advice, right?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Hmmmm.....maybe I should take Uber instead of trying to get some exercise--- LOL!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am
Del wrote:

One shouldn't come here looking for good advice, right?
Lord knows.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Hov,
Most bike companies only make the frames on bikes. Generally all the other parts are made by someone else (even the house brand parts included in the build). So if the problems aren't connected to the frame you can replace the offending parts with something better. The most important thing is making sure you are buying the right size frame for you. Too big or too small and you'll stop riding because it will be uncomfortable.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:00 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSrsdjpVACA

Hov sighting caught on video!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:00 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSrsdjpVACA

Hov sighting caught on video!
Yup!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:23 am

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Ask for a test ride, presuming that the tires will hold air.

Given the era, the bike will likely need this 27" x 1 1/4" tires, which are becoming rare. Replacing them and the tubes should be figured into your budget.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 pm

"Raleigh was manufacturing the Raleigh Record and Grand Prix not only in Nottingham, but also in Worksop, the Netherlands, Ireland, and rumors suggest even Malaysia. Even so, it wasn’t until 1975 that Raleigh finally managed to return to the production levels of the early 50’s (1 million bikes per year). At this time Raleigh’s Nottingham facilities covered 76 acres of land.

The US bike boom was a perfect storm of exactly the right variables coming together at just the right time. Unfortunately it was also a house of cards that came crashing down upon those that hadn’t prepared for the end of this upturn. As the boom was closing in 1975 Raleigh also had factories in the US, Canada, and even Nigeria. As soon as even one part of the trend slowed down volume declined and costs began to rise. As prices followed demand waned and the process reversed itself.

Demand of bikes in the UK continued a slow growth curve throughout the 70’s and well into the 80’s. Raleigh’s exports remained flat. Raleigh’s UK sales remained flat. For two decades of industry growth Raleigh was in a holding pattern as it slowly lost market share to the competition. Raleigh’s position dropped to 25% of the UK market by 1995 as imports slowly came to dominate UK sales." - http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Raleigh.aspx