Broken Pipe - Rusty

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Re: Broken Pipe - Rusty

Post by Dlibbon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Just was talking with ID and he mentioned Rusty's passing. So sorry to hear about this. Rusty was a unique guy and will be missed around these pages. Here's to you Rusty. May you rest in peace and rise in glory.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm
Skip wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 pm
I pray God's Word penetrated our friend in ways maybe we were not aware of.
Did you notice his delving into theology over the last few months? There's hope.
There's always hope.
Blessed Brother Nikolai, our beloved Monarchist, please join us in prayer for the soul of another beloved brother, Rusty.
May we all be judged worthy to meet again in rich fellowship at that Inn at the End of the World.
Milliway's? I'm going to have a Pan Galactic Gargleblaster and some of that cow that was raised to want to be eaten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m34NGreosnE
WWRS.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm

+JMJ+
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 pm
wosbald wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm
Skip wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 pm
I pray God's Word penetrated our friend in ways maybe we were not aware of.
Did you notice his delving into theology over the last few months? There's hope.
There's always hope.
Blessed Brother Nikolai, our beloved Monarchist, please join us in prayer for the soul of another beloved brother, Rusty.
May we all be judged worthy to meet again in rich fellowship at that Inn at the End of the World.
Milliway's? I'm going to have a Pan Galactic Gargleblaster and some of that cow that was raised to want to be eaten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m34NGreosnE
WWRS.
"What would Rusty say?"

If so, he might say
That's where we meet
That's where we meet
Me and you rendezvous
In the club at the end of the street

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 am

I've been away from the boards for a few days and just saw this.

I didn't know Rusty well, but I knew him well enough to know that he cared deeply, thought deeply, and lived deeply. I will definitely miss him.

I'm off to smoke a pipe in his memory.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

les
Usher
Usher

Post by les » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 pm

What a shock! I don't visit CPS in depth very much, but if I saw a post by Rusty, I would always click on it to see what interesting thoughts he was contributing. His knowledge was phenomenal, and his thought process and wordsmithing were inspiring. My profound condolences to his family and to CPS as well. The last week or two, I was searching for his latest postings and was starting to get worried, thinking a health issue had slowed him down. His passing is a huge loss to this community.

hp
les

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 pm

I sure am sorry to hear of Rusty's passing. I never talked to him directly but a couple of times. He provided me with information I was after several times and I think he had to go to considerable effort to find one of them. I appreciated him very much. My condolences to the family and prayers for peace, comfort and rich memories in the years to come.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:41 pm

I was just passing through, as I'm apt to do on occasion, and saw the news. I haven't spent much time around these parts in years, but I really hate to hear this. RIP, Rusty.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 am

Good morning everyone,

Just popping on here to gather more of your comments. I'm sending them to Mrs. Rusty. She and the family are really thankful for your thoughts, prayers, and comments that you have been submitting.

This is from his daughter,

"I'm so happy my dad was so loved by others as well as myself and my family, he was so unique and misunderstood a lot of the time and I cannot tell you how much it truly means to me that he had such loyal, caring and sincere friends... it has honestly put my heart and mind at such ease through this time knowing that he had such a loving surrounding. Evidently he was almost just as private with us as he was with others, he kept his CPS to himself and it truly was a platform and world of his own.. it makes my heart warm to know how much he loved it and how much he was loved and admired back. He went through some really tough times also in the last 15 years and I know that you and the group were such a crucially positive impact on his life. He loved you all dearly."

If any of you reading this haven't already done so, and you would like to, I know they would appreciate a few words about how Rusty may have impacted your pipe smoking journey; or maybe something he said, or how he thought about things -- maybe something you learned from him, or how he really got under your skin with his exacting attempts at being the most knowledgable in the forum.....not that he was always like that.....<ahem>.....I digress......seriously, you can PM me with anything, and I will pass those comments on.

CPS was his cyber family - all of you - were his cyber family. He really spent his off hours researching and thinking about all of you here and made this place his own safety net that probably was the one thing of pure enjoyment and connection that kept him going.

So let's all light up a bowl (someone once suggested some Erinmore Flake in a dirty Dunhill!) and put our fingers on the keypad for Rusty one more time.

Peace of the Lord be with you,

Eric +

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 am

calvinistanglican wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 am
This is from his daughter,

"I'm so happy my dad was so loved by others as well as myself and my family, he was so unique and misunderstood a lot of the time and I cannot tell you how much it truly means to me that he had such loyal, caring and sincere friends... it has honestly put my heart and mind at such ease through this time knowing that he had such a loving surrounding. Evidently he was almost just as private with us as he was with others, he kept his CPS to himself and it truly was a platform and world of his own.. it makes my heart warm to know how much he loved it and how much he was loved and admired back. He went through some really tough times also in the last 15 years and I know that you and the group were such a crucially positive impact on his life. He loved you all dearly."
Good grief, this does my heart good. Rusty, you were a know-it-all b-hole sometimes, but in the very, very best of ways. You didn't let me slide with any comment I made directed towards you. You made me own my thoughts or eat my words and it has made me better. Brother, I truly and dearly hope to have a reunion (and a first time face-to-face) with you one day in glory. It's evident that you were loved by your family and friends and that says so much of you. For what it's worth, know that from now on I will berate anyone here that post pics of their pipes on racks, willingly, like a buffoon, letting the air oxidize their stems. I won't do it even partly as eloquently as you would have, but I will do my best.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:01 am

Very sad news.

Like others, I never had a personal exchange with Rusty. However, his knowledge of pipes and tobacco were unparalleled, and his postings were a bright spot in any thread that he chose to participate in. I'll certainly miss reading what he had to say.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:45 am

I remember my first encounter with Rusty here was very shortly after I introduced myself, back in Jan or Febr of 2016. I had written something about some website and had referred to it as a cite. It was just a short time after and he corrected me.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 pm

I am probably going to do a journal pass so that people can relate personal experiences and condolences on paper and send it to Mrs. Rusty, given his proclivity for fountain pens, I thought it appropriate. If you would like to participate pm me your address and I will add you to the mailing list and if anybody knows the mailing address for the final destination that would be helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Many of you may not realize it, but Rusty kept tabs on us. Literally. He had a database with our actual or approximate birth dates. He likely also recorded our favorite tobaccos, pipe makers, and hobbies. I don't know whether he did this on paper or on his computer, but I know he kept track of us as only a friend would do. Or maybe he saw us as some sort of research project. I don't know that he ever said it directly, but surely he found us an odd lot of (mostly) intelligent men and women who came to our faith (or didn't) through clear-minded reasoning. As Gary mentioned, Rusty found him - a scientist - to be particularly interesting. I, for one, was prompted by Rusty - perhaps even required - to examine my beliefs more closely on many occasions. My beliefs about Christ, pipe engineering, tobacco treatments, the future of fossil fuels, the value of college degrees, a host of social issues, exceptionalism: You name it and Rusty prodded me on it. I particularly like it when he tweaked Del whenever Del went on about how great the middle ages were.

Like many of his fellow introverts, Rusty felt safe here. This is a place we can 'talk' about subjects we just can't talk about anywhere else. He helped make it that way.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:50 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 pm
I am probably going to do a journal pass so that people can relate personal experiences and condolences on paper and send it to Mrs. Rusty, given his proclivity for fountain pens, I thought it appropriate. If you would like to participate pm me your address and I will add you to the mailing list and if anybody knows the mailing address for the final destination that would be helpful too.

Done....PM sent. Stellar idea!

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:25 pm
Many of you may not realize it, but Rusty kept tabs on us. Literally. He had a database with our actual or approximate birth dates. He likely also recorded our favorite tobaccos, pipe makers, and hobbies. I don't know whether he did this on paper or on his computer, but I know he kept track of us as only a friend would do. Or maybe he saw us as some sort of research project. I don't know that he ever said it directly, but surely he found us an odd lot of (mostly) intelligent men and women who came to our faith (or didn't) through clear-minded reasoning. As Gary mentioned, Rusty found him - a scientist - to be particularly interesting. I, for one, was prompted by Rusty - perhaps even required - to examine my beliefs more closely on many occasions. My beliefs about Christ, pipe engineering, tobacco treatments, the future of fossil fuels, the value of college degrees, a host of social issues, exceptionalism: You name it and Rusty prodded me on it. I particularly like it when he tweaked Del whenever Del went on about how great the middle ages were.

Like many of his fellow introverts, Rusty felt safe here. This is a place we can 'talk' about subjects we just can't talk about anywhere else. He helped make it that way.
Rusty would have done this on his computer, no doubt about that. You wouldn't believe the kinds of things he kept track of...! He could tell you from one of his spreadsheets how often he smoked a certain pipe or how it's chamber depth compared to other pipes of similar proportions made by different makers, etc...he kept track of changing tax tables and the minutae of tobacco legislation in Canada, the US and abroad. His cellar was fully documented and even his pipe rotation schedule was all in Excel.

He kept I do want to say that in no way were any of you (or me) on here as some sort of research project.

In speaking to me back in January, he had this to say about his computer:

"My old HP PC laptop recently died on a disk fault (that was progressive) that started in October. I backed up most of my stuff when the disk started threatening to go. It actually died a week or so ago. I have a monster 4 TB Western Digital Drive. It was supposed to be doing daily backups but what I found was old backups. But I also backed up all my directories myself.

I replaced it with a Lenovo Ideapad with an Intel I5 processor set with monstrous RAM and disk and picked it up today so I haven't been active on CPS for about 2 weeks."

He kept photos, screen grabs, statistics, pamphlets, documents, .pdfs, you name it. It would be astounding to comb through the information he kept. I'm pretty darn sure he had a "file" on me. And I'm ok with that. It shows that he cared enough to stay on top of things with me. He remembered to follow up with me on things when time between our communicating was too lengthy. I wish more people would do that. The last thing I would want is for folks to think that he had some sort of Herbert Hoover file system on us. Not at all.

I think that the pipe hobbyist world has lost a great and unique man.

Eric

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Something else just came to mind for those interested in doing this. The family is planning a memorial service/celebration of life in the Spring in British Columbia. It might be rushed to get this done by then, but we'll have to see. This is a great idea.

What would others think about including an actual photo of us with our pipes along with our entries? He was a photographer and I think it would be really nice for Mrs. Rusty to have a picture to go with the journal entries?

This would mean the MOON to her and the family to have this done.

Eric

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm
FredS wrote:

Rusty would have done this on his computer, no doubt about that. You wouldn't believe the kinds of things he kept track of...! He could tell you from one of his spreadsheets how often he smoked a certain pipe or how it's chamber depth compared to other pipes of similar proportions made by different makers, etc...he kept track of changing tax tables and the minutae of tobacco legislation in Canada, the US and abroad. His cellar was fully documented and even his pipe rotation schedule was all in Excel.

He kept I do want to say that in no way were any of you (or me) on here as some sort of research project.

"My old HP PC laptop recently died on a disk fault (that was progressive) that started in October. I backed up most of my stuff when the disk started threatening to go. It actually died a week or so ago. I have a monster 4 TB Western Digital Drive. It was supposed to be doing daily backups but what I found was old backups. But I also backed up all my directories myself.

I replaced it with a Lenovo Ideapad with an Intel I5 processor set with monstrous RAM and disk and picked it up today so I haven't been active on CPS for about 2 weeks."

He kept photos, screen grabs, statistics, pamphlets, documents, .pdfs, you name it. It would be astounding to comb through the information he kept. I'm pretty darn sure he had a "file" on me. And I'm ok with that. It shows that he cared enough to stay on top of things with me. He remembered to follow up with me on things when time between our communicating was too lengthy. I wish more people would do that. The last thing I would want is for folks to think that he had some sort of Herbert Hoover file system on us. Not at all.

Eric
Yep all on his computer ... I received my first spreadsheet from Rusty on day 2 or 3 of being here! lol. He had an amazing spreadsheet for Canadians buying tobacco from the USA and shipping up here. You input the exchange rate, quanity, shipping cost, buying cost, etc. and it would calculate taxes, handling fees, and duty. It even had cells to input local costs so that you could see how much money you saved by buying from say smokingpipes.com rather than the local B&M in Canada. He understood the tobacco laws better than the border agency folks we have to deal with, and was so helpful in helping me build a small cellar up. His mind was amazing.
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Oh, man, this hurts.

I just found out about this tonight. I'd missed this thread and Jester came over tonight and mentioned Rusty's passing and it flat out bowled me over.

We joined up here the same year and had almost a decade's worth of vigorous exchanges on loads of things both on the forums and in private messages. Over the last couple of years I feel like we've been an odd couple of sorts. I've found myself in agreement with him on things I typically would assume we'd knock heads. I appreciated his mind and how we could engage in a civil and peaceable way amidst a plethora of difficult and controversial and potentially combustable topics. I credit all of the civility to Rusty. I love that he was fascinated with many of our Christian opinions and that he continued to engage us despite his claim of unbelief. I really dug his feistiness. I found in him a kindred spirit when the political threads were being locked down. He valued the free exchange of thoughts and the amazing (albeit, relative) way that CPS seemed to be the only place on the internet that didn't explode with hate and vitriol. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, you at least knew where he stood and one came to expect a reasonable and, more often than not, enjoyable discussion.

I'm humbled beyond all belief to have been the last person he engaged with on the public forum. I'm going to miss him dearly.

I will be praying for his wife and daughter.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm
calvinistanglican wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm
FredS wrote:

Eric
Yep all on his computer ... I received my first spreadsheet from Rusty on day 2 or 3 of being here! lol. He had an amazing spreadsheet for Canadians buying tobacco from the USA and shipping up here. You input the exchange rate, quanity, shipping cost, buying cost, etc. and it would calculate taxes, handling fees, and duty. It even had cells to input local costs so that you could see how much money you saved by buying from say smokingpipes.com rather than the local B&M in Canada. He understood the tobacco laws better than the border agency folks we have to deal with, and was so helpful in helping me build a small cellar up. His mind was amazing.
Yes, the latest version he sent me was Canuck TTax V3.1-17a.xlsm. He and I came up with the idea of having this spreadsheet as a ready reference to show us at a glance how much it would cost us to order tobacco online. It is a handy tool that he has been updating for the last ten years. I’ll try and keep it up to date moving forward. I’ll have to watch for each issue of the new provincial,budgets in 2018 and update the underlying reference tables.

This man LOVED spreadsheets!!

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Haven't been spending much time here of late and only just now saw this. I can attest to the man's interest in the people here. It was clear to me fairly early on that he had gone to the trouble of putting together a few of my oblique references and figuring out my eBay handle! Remarkable. The last interaction I had with him was an exchange of private messages. He wanted me to consider participating in a PM ring discussing political issues. I thought it nice of him to ask, considering that I know darn well that he and I wouldn't have agreed on much of anything.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.