Garden Thread - 2018

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Garden Thread - 2018

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 am
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 pm
I finally got one of the beds ready
I trans planted
6x Jalapenos
6x Italian, and
3x Sushito peppers, plus
1x Brandywine
1x San Marzano
1x Early Choice
1x Ace
so I'm 2 for 2 hybrid & heirlooms in the tomato dept.

If I can squeeze in 2x Armenian cucumbers and 2x Japanese eggplants, it'll be golden.
That's a big bed. Nice variety.

We have numerous volunteer pumpkin vines coming up from last fall's pumpkin that was thrown into fallow garden area. I'm debating whether to leave them or pull them up.
And I still have another bed the same size at my disposal, plus a smaller bed which I'm going to split into two for logistical reasons. although I probably won't get that job finished until later this summer.
Nice indeed. My only remaining spare garden area is being saved for okra, which I'll probly plant late next month or maybe even June.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:44 am

I'm making a small irrigation ring out of very flexible plumbing PVC that I can attach a garden hose to, in order to deeply liquid feed Palm Food to one of the two Pindo Palms out in the median bewteen the curb and sidewalk. I have a couple Rubbermaid Brute plastic 33 gallon barrels fitted w/ spigots so I can create batches of treated water for slow drenching.

This Palm has had issues for a long time (mainly a poor root system) and this year I am trying a new treatment that began last fall with Alka Liche applied deeply to penetrate and condition the very hard Caliche soil we have here in some areas. Earlier this late winter/ early spring I followed up on that by dripping slowly, Fertilome's Root Stimulator tight around the base of the palm with a soaker hose. Made three applications 14 days apart. I will give the palm just one application of the liquid Palm Food this Spring, and then again in late summer, so as not to create too much heat in the root zone during the summer. We shall see what the results will be this year. Hoping for a lot more healthy new fronds, and for it to stay that way. It's been a project.

Late next fall I will treat the soil again with the Alka Liche soil conditioner to start this process all over again to get and keep that palm healthy at last.

Home ownership is a lot of work. :dance:
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 am

Two years ago I planted two Desert Museum Palo Verdes to shade the kitchen windows. At the height of summer they are too far South to cover one of the windows, so last year I planted another Palo Verde.

The first two are growing nicely but the third is having a hard time trying to catch up, probably due to our watering restrictions.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:13 am

I'm thinking of making a cistern for the back yard, next to the garden, to catch rain to use for watering, etc. I have the elevated frame of an old deer feeder to mount it on. I presume fine mesh screen will keep it free of mosquito larvae and other critters.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)