First time over a buck, buck and a quarter, buck-fifty

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Re: First time over a buck, buck and a quarter, buck-fifty

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:24 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:48 pm
I've never driven over the speed limit, and I've certainly never done so in a vehicle owned by the company for which I work, but there are some smooth freeways between here and Atlanta that might lend themselves to some fast driving.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sangamo-Tachograph-Bus-Taxi/323043619174?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3Db7eaa24caca344339d37e3ed01741361%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D112760871210%26itm%3D323043619174&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
Back in the day the company I worked for put one of these in my truck. They called me to the office the next day. This was back when the nationwide speed limit was 55. The boss was unrolling the scroll and he stopped at a place and said I was going 70. I said it was downhill. He looked a little further and said the pen was off the chart and got behind the paper and quit recording. He asked just how fast was I going. I told him how was I to know this new speedometer only goes to 70.
Current Superhero: Departed Light

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm
2002 in a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.
My first time over 100 was also in a mid-nineties Cutlass Supreme. The young lady sitting in the passenger seat (who’s car it was) wasn’t super pleased... :)

I’ve also hit 100 in our 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. My wife was being flown via helicopter to a hospital an hour away and I was driving to meet them. I won.

I don’t believe I’ve been faster than 113mph.
I can honestly say that when I hit 130 in my supercharged Cobalt that I became a little uneasy. I doubt I'll ever do it again.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 am

On I-5 sometime in the 1970's. I don't remember the car.

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:52 pm
First time for 100 was probably on the way home from the hospital 2 days old in a 1955 Plymouth Belvedere knowing my Dad.
First time I remember going 100+ was Dad at the wheel of his 1959 Buick
First time to do 125+ was in my 1969 Dodge Charger 440 Magnum 4 speed
Several years later got my 1970 Cadillac to 125+ once.
First and only time to do 150 was in my friends 1969 Charger 440 Magnum Automatic.
Done 100+ in a 18 wheeler several times down hill out of gear.
Top speed in a 18 wheeler on level ground was 85-90 MPH. It was a 1987 Freighterliner Conventional 425 Cat with 13 speed transmission. Pulling a liquid bulk non-baffled tanker.
Had my 1999 Goldwing to 100-105 a few times.
Anymore I have seen so many bad crashes through the years I drive the speed limit.
How stable is an 18 wheeler at 100?

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm

michigander wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:34 pm
How stable is an 18 wheeler at 100?
I have only driven that kind of speed on a straight stretch and only made very minute corrections with the steering wheel. Trucks are top heave as you know and trying to turn more than slightly or blowing out a steering tire at that speed would probably be Good Night Irena. Trucks or at least the ones I have drove do ride smooth at that speed.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:17 am

Brand new Ford Interceptor on I-90 in eastern Washington. The last time I'd checked the speedometer I was in the low 90s. It got away from me - it was smooth and easy still. The trooper got me at 108. He gave me a verbal warning and a call to the office. My verbal counseling back at the office was something like, "108?!? Seriously?!? Consider yourself counseled."
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:05 am

I'm not sure how fast I was going. It was in a Chevy Cavalier. The speedometer stopped at 85 and I had it buried for miles on U.S. 50. I was 16 and had just gotten some new Pirelli performance tires on it. They stuck to the pavement like glue. I wore them out in 6 month driving all over southwest Indiana.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 am

110+ In my 1988 Honda Prelude around 2004 or 2005. I went over 100 a few other times, once in my parents 1989 Lincoln Continental. I haven't got over 85 since 2009.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 am

You people are a menace to the law abiding citizens of your communities and should be ashamed of yourselves.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 am

First time over 100? Think it was in the company pickup - a '78 F150 with the smaller V8. Downhill helped.

The '88 Mustang GT saw triple digits many times. The speedo only went to 85, but I had a table printed off of Excel that extrapolated speed based on the tach. Got it to 135 on a sweet stretch of flat, wide road in Nebraska after harvest (fewer opportunities for critters to hop out of the grass and go strolling across the roadway).
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:30 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 am
You people are a menace to the law abiding citizens of your communities and should be ashamed of yourselves.
As for me that kind of driving is in the past. All jokes aside I try to never exceed the speed limit anymore. Saw too many bad crashes and lost too many friends.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 pm

I had a 1979 Formula Firebird, and I hit 125 a couple of times, that car paid the rent several times racing high school kids who thought their cars were fast...

My best run was a high speed run I made with a medical transport...As a rural deputy, we got to drive fast regularly...one night I got a call from the shift commander and he told me to fill up and head for the county Northern County line...medical transport...I met another cop, he gave me a sealed cooler and wished me good luck. I drove half way across the state to meet another cop to pass off the cooler. A code run that hit 125 or more several times, lights and siren for almost an hour. Never heard if it was a heart or ? I just drove my leg of the transport.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:30 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 am
As for me that kind of driving is in the past. All jokes aside I try to never exceed the speed limit anymore. Saw too many bad crashes and lost too many friends.
Oh, I drive as fast as ever, but I do try to put fewer people at risk so I'm wiser at choosing the time and place.

In other news, I'm back in KC to get my hot rod started so I can try to move it to a new place before I sell the house. It hadn't ran in 5 years 'till two days ago. I may or may not have exceeded 125 when we stretched her legs. Just to 'blow the carbon out' as my dad used to say.
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 pm
A code run that hit 125 or more several times, lights and siren for almost an hour.
This is where my fun lies. Not just in a quarter mile run, but a long run at high speed where you just hit the high spots and you get to see if you can take the 55 mph turns at 100 mph.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:22 pm

First time at 100:... driving my rebuild 1978 El Camino running a 750 Holley 4 barrell Carb on a 350 Chevy Small block, w/ Hooker headers, duel pipes, and Edelbrock mufflers. Stupid scary at 17 years old.

125 ... driving to get out ahead of a pursuit on a parallel highway working for Texas DPS/HighPo ... we were trained to use our duty pistols, shotguns, and ARs to shoot the tires as well ... If needed of course.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 pm
My best run was a high speed run I made with a medical transport...As a rural deputy, we got to drive fast regularly...one night I got a call from the shift commander and he told me to fill up and head for the county Northern County line...medical transport...I met another cop, he gave me a sealed cooler and wished me good luck. I drove half way across the state to meet another cop to pass off the cooler. A code run that hit 125 or more several times, lights and siren for almost an hour. Never heard if it was a heart or ? I just drove my leg of the transport.
This reminds me of the time I came up behind an ambulance that was just leaving the scene of an accident with it's lights and sirens on. There was a plastic cooler on the back bumper that fell off after they had gone a few hundred yards. I flashed my lights and pulled over and got the cooler safely out of traffic. I guess they didn't notice and kept on going. I looked tentatively inside the cooler and there was a toe in it! Thank God I'm a AAA member. I called and they sent a toe truck.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 am

Dude...don't quit the day job...your future as a comic...well as I said don't quit your day job. :lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 pm

I know it's not as good as Reverend Thom's veterinarian joke, but still :taco:

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

A wrecker service abound here has on their business card:
We don't charge an arm and a leg but want your toes.

I know not as good as the other two.
Maybe you will like this one.
A trash service has on their cards: Satisfaction guaranteed or double your trash back.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

First time over a buck, buck and a quarter, buck-fifty

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:46 pm

When I learned to drive we had a conservation ticket. It was $5 and paid on the spot for anything up to 85 mph on the highway or freeway during daylight hours. Montana also had a period of “reasonable and prudent” so it was up to law enforcement to decide based on weather,
roads, etc.

The conservation ticket was not a traffic violation. It was for wasting energy. So it didn’t go on your record.

I was also stationed in Germany for 3 1/2 years.

I don’t remember my first time over 100 but it’s happened a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS