The Camping Conundrum

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

The Camping Conundrum

Post by Hovannes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 am

I enjoy camping!
That's how I was raised and why I live where I live, surrounded by four National Parks a handful of National Forests, Big Sur, and why I spent eighteen years on a Sheriff's SAR posse.
Back packing, mule packing or car camping, it's all good in my book as long as it's not crowded, noisy and polluted (the next campsite over doing beer pong until 3:00AM).

But times have changed.

My last posse horse died of old age.
My extended family camping trips ended decades ago when relatives didn't want to drive all the way up here from LA to sleep in the dirt.
Our family camping trips ended a few years ago when my bride put her foot down and the kids discovered personal electronic devices and many camp grounds became 'by reservation only'
My son lost interest in the BSA so no more Geezer Patrol outings for me.

In my younger days I'd just head out by myself, but with a passel of health conditions on this side of 65, such foolishness is insufferably, dangerously foolish.
My camping pal's are either dead or no longer have the fire in them, or are just too arthritic.

Hunting trips aren't much fun anymore with the plethora of new regulations here in CA, and fishing trips, unless it's deep $ea, seems wasteful since I'm the only one in the family who enjoys fish.

I can't be the only one having this problem so I thought I'd reach out to my brothers here for advice.

Any suggestions?

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 am

As to the fishing keep what you want, release the rest. As to the tent, maybe a camper would convince your wife to join you. If all else fails find locations where you are not far from assistance and cell service.

I still hunt and fish mostly alone...I am a little more cautious and less "cares to the wind" than I used to be, but I still get out and still have fun.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
plainview
Usher
Usher
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by plainview » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am

Hovannes, thank you for sharing your poignant take on aging and all.

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Pepik » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am

Rental Cabins with enough fun in the area to appeal to everyone's tastes.

We hit http://www.treelandresorts.com/ in the Wisconsin Upper NW. Very good times, fishing good, supper clubbin', and lodges to enjoy at night. Veeeery popular with the kids who grew up with it and became adults.

RV Rentals?
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20652
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by JimVH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm

You're not alone. Add the dynamic of a spouse who was not raised camping and has no desire to sleep anywhere without a/c and wifi and I'm in the same boat. She has shown an interest in yurt camping, but they are as pricey as a nice hotel.
Image

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Hovannes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 pm

We used to camp in Yosemite Valley at the Housekeeping Camp---not exactly glamping, more like a United Nations DP Camp with communal showers & plumbing, electricity and cement floor(you still need a Coleman stove for cooking)---but the hard to get reservations along with the summer crowds in the Valley have become kind of a put off although in October the crowds are more managable. We've been doing a lot of our camping on the Eastern slope----Saddlebag Lake, Trumbull Lake etc... I checked on lodges in that area but most were damaged in last year's winter storms and have to be rebuilt.
https://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/ ... ping-camp/
http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/

Finding places to camp isn't the problem though. Finding people who enjoy camping, is.

Saddlebag Lake is the highest elevation (10,300') lake you can drive to in California, btw. Gets a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to alcohol.
No wonder they're having a hard time getting the place fixed up!
Last edited by Hovannes on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 am
I enjoy camping!
That's how I was raised and why I live where I live, surrounded by four National Parks a handful of National Forests, Big Sur, and why I spent eighteen years on a Sheriff's SAR posse.
Back packing, mule packing or car camping, it's all good in my book as long as it's not crowded, noisy and polluted (the next campsite over doing beer pong until 3:00AM).

But times have changed.

My last posse horse died of old age.
My extended family camping trips ended decades ago when relatives didn't want to drive all the way up here from LA to sleep in the dirt.
Our family camping trips ended a few years ago when my bride put her foot down and the kids discovered personal electronic devices and many camp grounds became 'by reservation only'
My son lost interest in the BSA so no more Geezer Patrol outings for me.

In my younger days I'd just head out by myself, but with a passel of health conditions on this side of 65, such foolishness is insufferably, dangerously foolish.
My camping pal's are either dead or no longer have the fire in them, or are just too arthritic.

Hunting trips aren't much fun anymore with the plethora of new regulations here in CA, and fishing trips, unless it's deep $ea, seems wasteful since I'm the only one in the family who enjoys fish.

I can't be the only one having this problem so I thought I'd reach out to my brothers here for advice.

Any suggestions?
If you lived a bit closer I would suggest a meetup camping trip somewhere. Then you would have the safety of company and I could fish with you and explain to you that the “plethora of new regulations” for hunting in California are neither numerous or particularly difficult to overcome, in fact they’re downright first world problems to have. :P

The trouble is that you’re about four hours too far away for a weekend trip. Bummer. I would have loved to have a camp cook like you make me some grub while I relaxed with a craft beer. :D
Image

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Hovannes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 am
I enjoy camping!
That's how I was raised and why I live where I live, surrounded by four National Parks a handful of National Forests, Big Sur, and why I spent eighteen years on a Sheriff's SAR posse.
Back packing, mule packing or car camping, it's all good in my book as long as it's not crowded, noisy and polluted (the next campsite over doing beer pong until 3:00AM).

But times have changed.

My last posse horse died of old age.
My extended family camping trips ended decades ago when relatives didn't want to drive all the way up here from LA to sleep in the dirt.
Our family camping trips ended a few years ago when my bride put her foot down and the kids discovered personal electronic devices and many camp grounds became 'by reservation only'
My son lost interest in the BSA so no more Geezer Patrol outings for me.

In my younger days I'd just head out by myself, but with a passel of health conditions on this side of 65, such foolishness is insufferably, dangerously foolish.
My camping pal's are either dead or no longer have the fire in them, or are just too arthritic.

Hunting trips aren't much fun anymore with the plethora of new regulations here in CA, and fishing trips, unless it's deep $ea, seems wasteful since I'm the only one in the family who enjoys fish.

I can't be the only one having this problem so I thought I'd reach out to my brothers here for advice.

Any suggestions?
If you lived a bit closer I would suggest a meetup camping trip somewhere. Then you would have the safety of company and I could fish with you and explain to you that the “plethora of new regulations” for hunting in California are neither numerous or particularly difficult to overcome, in fact they’re downright first world problems to have. :P

The trouble is that you’re about four hours too far away for a weekend trip. Bummer. I would have loved to have a camp cook like you make me some grub while I relaxed with a craft beer. :D
Hey Thunk! Maybe a tread on camping recipes is in order? Cooking over a fire, Coleman or one burner back packing stove. How much flavor can you wrangle out of a minimalist kitchen with the simplest of ingredients??

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 am
I enjoy camping!
That's how I was raised and why I live where I live, surrounded by four National Parks a handful of National Forests, Big Sur, and why I spent eighteen years on a Sheriff's SAR posse.
Back packing, mule packing or car camping, it's all good in my book as long as it's not crowded, noisy and polluted (the next campsite over doing beer pong until 3:00AM).

But times have changed.

My last posse horse died of old age.
My extended family camping trips ended decades ago when relatives didn't want to drive all the way up here from LA to sleep in the dirt.
Our family camping trips ended a few years ago when my bride put her foot down and the kids discovered personal electronic devices and many camp grounds became 'by reservation only'
My son lost interest in the BSA so no more Geezer Patrol outings for me.

In my younger days I'd just head out by myself, but with a passel of health conditions on this side of 65, such foolishness is insufferably, dangerously foolish.
My camping pal's are either dead or no longer have the fire in them, or are just too arthritic.

Hunting trips aren't much fun anymore with the plethora of new regulations here in CA, and fishing trips, unless it's deep $ea, seems wasteful since I'm the only one in the family who enjoys fish.

I can't be the only one having this problem so I thought I'd reach out to my brothers here for advice.

Any suggestions?
If you lived a bit closer I would suggest a meetup camping trip somewhere. Then you would have the safety of company and I could fish with you and explain to you that the “plethora of new regulations” for hunting in California are neither numerous or particularly difficult to overcome, in fact they’re downright first world problems to have. :P

The trouble is that you’re about four hours too far away for a weekend trip. Bummer. I would have loved to have a camp cook like you make me some grub while I relaxed with a craft beer. :D
Hey Thunk! Maybe a tread on camping recipes is in order? Cooking over a fire, Coleman or one burner back packing stove. How much flavor can you wrangle out of a minimalist kitchen with the simplest of ingredients??
I’m not much help for that. I regularly cook at home, but dislike cooking at camp. I rarely camp for camping’s sake, instead camping is a means to an end such as hunting or fishing. I use a white gas backpacking stove to heat up water for coffee, pre packaged oatmeal and Mountain House meals which I usually enjoy after the morning hunt and before the afternoon hunt whether from the tailgate of the truck or from my pack miles from my rig.

I sold my Coleman stove and bought a Camp Chef stove instead along with a Sherpa table and organizer for base camp. The stove burns hotter than my Coleman did so that I can sear boneless pork chops, burgers or steaks better on my cast iron grill pan. I’m normally camping at yellow post sites where fire restrictions are in play most of the time, so no stick/grilled meat over the fire, though I discovered that the portable gas fire ring that I have does hotdogs and hobo irons well enough while it warms my shins. I can’t stand doing dishes out there so I don’t do much beyond heating water and grilling meat. For early morning breakfast I eat hard boiled eggs I prepared at home with cold muffins bought from Stater Brothers.

Oh, and paper plates and plastic forks and spoons. Like I said, I hate doing dishes while camping. But really, I need to buy a cabin and be done with it. :D
Image

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26318
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 am
I enjoy camping!
That's how I was raised and why I live where I live, surrounded by four National Parks a handful of National Forests, Big Sur, and why I spent eighteen years on a Sheriff's SAR posse.
Back packing, mule packing or car camping, it's all good in my book as long as it's not crowded, noisy and polluted (the next campsite over doing beer pong until 3:00AM).

But times have changed.

My last posse horse died of old age.
My extended family camping trips ended decades ago when relatives didn't want to drive all the way up here from LA to sleep in the dirt.
Our family camping trips ended a few years ago when my bride put her foot down and the kids discovered personal electronic devices and many camp grounds became 'by reservation only'
My son lost interest in the BSA so no more Geezer Patrol outings for me.

In my younger days I'd just head out by myself, but with a passel of health conditions on this side of 65, such foolishness is insufferably, dangerously foolish.
My camping pal's are either dead or no longer have the fire in them, or are just too arthritic.

Hunting trips aren't much fun anymore with the plethora of new regulations here in CA, and fishing trips, unless it's deep $ea, seems wasteful since I'm the only one in the family who enjoys fish.

I can't be the only one having this problem so I thought I'd reach out to my brothers here for advice.

Any suggestions?
If you lived a bit closer I would suggest a meetup camping trip somewhere. Then you would have the safety of company and I could fish with you and explain to you that the “plethora of new regulations” for hunting in California are neither numerous or particularly difficult to overcome, in fact they’re downright first world problems to have. :P

The trouble is that you’re about four hours too far away for a weekend trip. Bummer. I would have loved to have a camp cook like you make me some grub while I relaxed with a craft beer. :D
Hey Thunk! Maybe a tread on camping recipes is in order? Cooking over a fire, Coleman or one burner back packing stove. How much flavor can you wrangle out of a minimalist kitchen with the simplest of ingredients??
I’m not much help for that. I regularly cook at home, but dislike cooking at camp. I rarely camp for camping’s sake, instead camping is a means to an end such as hunting or fishing. I use a white gas backpacking stove to heat up water for coffee, pre packaged oatmeal and Mountain House meals which I usually enjoy after the morning hunt and before the afternoon hunt whether from the tailgate of the truck or from my pack miles from my rig.

I sold my Coleman stove and bought a Camp Chef stove instead along with a Sherpa table and organizer for base camp. The stove burns hotter than my Coleman did so that I can sear boneless pork chops, burgers or steaks better on my cast iron grill pan. I’m normally camping at yellow post sites where fire restrictions are in play most of the time, so no stick/grilled meat over the fire, though I discovered that the portable gas fire ring that I have does hotdogs and hobo irons well enough while it warms my shins. I can’t stand doing dishes out there so I don’t do much beyond heating water and grilling meat. For early morning breakfast I eat hard boiled eggs I prepared at home with cold muffins bought from Stater Brothers.

Oh, and paper plates and plastic forks and spoons. Like I said, I hate doing dishes while camping. But really, I need to buy a cabin and be done with it. :D
I wanna be there too.

Cousins north of me are already gearing for a tent camp with a fishing focus. My attendance and joyous participation is a required familial norm that I accept fully! Now. How do I talk these rubes into renting a cabin? Split between 2 or 3 parts it's easy money.

There is porcelain behind doors that lock in a cabin. Oh look! Hot running water! What are these such wizardly oddities we see before us?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4509
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Dark side of the moon

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by CodeMonkey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm

This is more my idea of roughing it.

Image
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Hovannes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

You guys! :facepalm:

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm
You guys! :facepalm:
It was the Sherpa wasn’t it?

Image
Image

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8527
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Do you have a back yard?

I still chuckle when I think of my brother in law, standing there in my back yard, looking at a circle of stones surrounding a small burnt spot. "Now, what's this?", he asked.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5549
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Goose55 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am

Sounds like it's time for an RV, Hov.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22703
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am
Sounds like it's time for an RV, Hov.
A friend of my F-I-L got a good deal on a class A motor home.
I asked him how much it costs to store it in between trips.
He said zip, nada.
It spends all the downtime in the shop for repairs.
He recently sold it.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Thunktank » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am
Sounds like it's time for an RV, Hov.
A friend of my F-I-L got a good deal on a class A motor home.
I asked him how much it costs to store it in between trips.
He said zip, nada.
It spends all the downtime in the shop for repairs.
He recently sold it.
An intriguing idea for you is the teardrop camper. Storage is often a problem, but a teardrop can fit in a garage and get towed by a relatively light vehicle. The biggest trouble with them to me is that you still can’t stand up in them to change cloths. You could build one in your spare time using recycled building materials!
Image

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20000
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Can you not find someplace to camp that has cell coverage? I figured the whole friggin state of CA was wired. Start with a single night in a tent pitched next to the car in a modern state or national forest campground. You've slept thousands of nights before and not died, why do you expect it'll happen when you're camping? I'm not talking about climbing mountains here - just drive in and camp. Make a fire. Skip rocks on the lake. Read a book. Write a book. Look at the stars. Hell, I bet it would add a few weeks to your life.

Or you could revert to your childhood ways and just sleep in the back yard and pee in the bushes in the middle of the night. It's important for a man to take a leak outside once in a while. How long's it been?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by Pepik » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 pm

KOAs tend to have Muni WiFi at the least...

A trailer makes more sense than a full up RV coach. Issue always is, unless you're looking to tow a car, you have nothing other than the camper (Class A, C, whatnot) to cruise the area.

Counterpoint to owning: Rent. Real simple. Consider how often you'd use it, and the costs of ownership. Makes sense for the one or two trips a year.

Looking to go plenty of times in a year? Consider a trailer camper - all dependent on what you'll be able to tow it with.

Other choice - Lake Cabin/resort, etc.

Part of your issue will be getting over the fact it's going to cost more. Assume it will. If you're not up to splitting with the cash, it's time to look to another relaxation venue 'cause camping just exited your "landscape of the possibility" and it's time to seek counseling. Tag line on this one is #SucksToGetOldMan

#RightThereWithYa #LeSigh

/Edit - Another idea. Go with someone else! Trick someone else you know who enjoys it to splurge on the overhead costs and then invite yourself!

;)
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20000
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Camping Conundrum

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm just having a hard time with your excuses Hov. Don't you ski? Aren't you remodeling at least one room in your house? Those activities are way more physical than camping has to be. Is there something you're not sharing or do you just like to whine? You can still do this outdoors thing if you want to. I just read an excerpt from this article in the REI co-op journal at lunch today. Maybe you'll find some inspiration in it. Ibou gets it, and outdoor recreation has not part of his culture like it is yours.

There's a popular trend of fixing up little 'vintage' trailers and a few campgrounds are putting them in place to rent out by the night just like they do with the little cabins. Mrs FredS and I might give one a try in southern CO this summer. Looks fun. Bring yer food and toiletries and yer all set.

And eff the rest of the family if they don't enjoy fresh fish. It's good enough to cook simply for yourself. A little olive oil, salt, and pepper is all it takes to bake a nice hunk of fresh fish. Or cajon rub. Or lemon pepper. Damn. I'm gonna thaw some tilapia fillets for dinner.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Post Reply