What was your last exercise for physical fitness?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Re: What was your last exercise for physical fitness?

Post by jdavis2809 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:50 am

Glad this thread exists because I've been doing more exercise than pipe smoking here lately. Been trying to alternate between weight lifting and cardio. Last one was Tae Bo yesterday. Taking a day off since I worked 15 hours today. I'm sure I burnt a calorie or two there. I'm down a total of 33 pounds. Need to lose a lot more. But I'm trying to avoid the situation you were talking about, losing fast then gaining back. The weight lifting is helping, the weight is coming off slower but I'm pretty sure it's because I'm building muscle. Been going at it pretty serious for about two months now, the longest I've stuck with a weight loss plan since high school.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat May 07, 2016 1:33 pm

Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:So, all you guys out there who want to lose weight and get in shape - Try HIIT. It has worked really well for me and my wife. You accomplish more in less time. That was the draw for me. It can be brutal, but it's over quickly. Try it.
Until your metabolism slows down, and then the body goes retrograde... Issue here is the folks who did Biggest Loser ran into the "lose fast - get it all back plus a bit more" syndrome. Human bodies do not like fast change, and will battle it as if it were an assault on the body's systems.

There's more going on here particularly with Sleep Cycles and Nutrition than "lose it fast". I think the Medicos owe us a better way here...
To be sure. I would not advocate what they do on the Biggest Loser. It's just that if you get bored with long, drawn out exercise routines, HIIT is a breath (a big deep breath) of fresh air. Then you're done and you can be on your way.
I agree - it's a In-Moderation-HIIT, which I myself have gotten back to practicing. If the weight is taking weeks to come off slowly, and the muscle mass is picking up - those are really good signs of correct weight loss.

Going overboard to the limits to just cut weight is going to disappoint sooner than later.
Agreed. It's taken me about 10 months to recompose myself to this point. I'm down about 19 lbs with noticeably better muscle definition and way better cardio levels. Honestly, I have probably lost a little muscle mass but proportionately I am stronger and have more endurance. That's exercising 5-7x a week for and average of about 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Just move. It's not much, but it has made a world of difference.

Another factor that helped was cutting way, way, way down on sugar, refined grains, and alcohol. I still eat and still get full, just more protein and vegetables. My goal was to get healthy in a sustainable way...for the long haul. After seeing my father go through what he went through the last few years and what my mother is going through now...well, I want to avoid that if I can.

Thunk also had a lot to do in spurring me on to do this whether he realized it or not. I liked reading his posts about getting in shape and how it helped is attitude.
I got to thinking about this yesterday when I read it. Good considerations here. I'm going to also add that if weight comes off fast or slow your metabolism will also slow to one degree or another. Probably the faster you drop, the slower it will become once the initial weight loss comes back. The sad reality is that once overweight, you can never maintain a good weight as easily as a fellow who never got overweight to begin with. I know that I will battle with my weight for the rest if my life. I will have to work out more in some way and eat fewer calories than the other guy my age who was never overweight before. Just the way it is. The silver lining here is that the hard working out does help the metabolism and overall fitness. I can still keep up with the always skinny dude and maybe even outdo him because I do work harder than he does.

Also, something else to consider for those of us over 40 is that we need to be careful not to over work anything. We do require more recovery time, we also require more long term faithfulness to a varied regimen. We really do need to give our bodies the chance to remake testosterone after a hard workout. Yet, we can't take too many days off being lazy either because we lose our ideal fitness easier. Again, just the way it is. We can't wish reality differently. Not saying this to discourage, I'm saying this to remind us that we need to be very faithful to our goals in order to succeed. I see it as a sign of maturity. :D

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Sat May 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Dragging 4 40-lb bags of salt downstairs to the water softener and then spreading 4 large sacks of red mulch around my trees and the base of my vertical antenna. I've had 3 chiro treatments for my back this week. We'll see if the exercise helps or hurts...
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed May 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:So, all you guys out there who want to lose weight and get in shape - Try HIIT. It has worked really well for me and my wife. You accomplish more in less time. That was the draw for me. It can be brutal, but it's over quickly. Try it.
Until your metabolism slows down, and then the body goes retrograde... Issue here is the folks who did Biggest Loser ran into the "lose fast - get it all back plus a bit more" syndrome. Human bodies do not like fast change, and will battle it as if it were an assault on the body's systems.

There's more going on here particularly with Sleep Cycles and Nutrition than "lose it fast". I think the Medicos owe us a better way here...
To be sure. I would not advocate what they do on the Biggest Loser. It's just that if you get bored with long, drawn out exercise routines, HIIT is a breath (a big deep breath) of fresh air. Then you're done and you can be on your way.
I agree - it's a In-Moderation-HIIT, which I myself have gotten back to practicing. If the weight is taking weeks to come off slowly, and the muscle mass is picking up - those are really good signs of correct weight loss.

Going overboard to the limits to just cut weight is going to disappoint sooner than later.
Agreed. It's taken me about 10 months to recompose myself to this point. I'm down about 19 lbs with noticeably better muscle definition and way better cardio levels. Honestly, I have probably lost a little muscle mass but proportionately I am stronger and have more endurance. That's exercising 5-7x a week for and average of about 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Just move. It's not much, but it has made a world of difference.

Another factor that helped was cutting way, way, way down on sugar, refined grains, and alcohol. I still eat and still get full, just more protein and vegetables. My goal was to get healthy in a sustainable way...for the long haul. After seeing my father go through what he went through the last few years and what my mother is going through now...well, I want to avoid that if I can.

Thunk also had a lot to do in spurring me on to do this whether he realized it or not. I liked reading his posts about getting in shape and how it helped is attitude.
I got to thinking about this yesterday when I read it. Good considerations here. I'm going to also add that if weight comes off fast or slow your metabolism will also slow to one degree or another. Probably the faster you drop, the slower it will become once the initial weight loss comes back. The sad reality is that once overweight, you can never maintain a good weight as easily as a fellow who never got overweight to begin with. I know that I will battle with my weight for the rest if my life. I will have to work out more in some way and eat fewer calories than the other guy my age who was never overweight before. Just the way it is. The silver lining here is that the hard working out does help the metabolism and overall fitness. I can still keep up with the always skinny dude and maybe even outdo him because I do work harder than he does.

Also, something else to consider for those of us over 40 is that we need to be careful not to over work anything. We do require more recovery time, we also require more long term faithfulness to a varied regimen. We really do need to give our bodies the chance to remake testosterone after a hard workout. Yet, we can't take too many days off being lazy either because we lose our ideal fitness easier. Again, just the way it is. We can't wish reality differently. Not saying this to discourage, I'm saying this to remind us that we need to be very faithful to our goals in order to succeed. I see it as a sign of maturity. :D
Killjoy!!! (I'll be 41 next month).

No need to remind me of the loss in testosterone. I've got to work twice as hard and rest twice as long as a guy half my age or, at least, that's how I view it. :lol: Just yesterday a former homeschool kid (he's now about 20 years old) came around and he'd obviously been lifting A LOT. My six year old daughter says, "Wow, he looks like Captain America!" My wife thought he was using steroids. I just grinned. He's at his peak. No need for steroids at his age. He's probably just eating well, taking some supplements, and living right...and has enough time on his hands to bust some killer workouts. That's what I think based on his upbringing.

Anyway, I did some HIIT running Monday evening. Man, I feel like my lung capacity shoots through the roof afterwards, like I can breath in all the air in town. I'm going to try that again on Friday. Tonight, just a slow, long jog with my wife.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Yesterday morning, a bike ride up over the hill beneath "A" mountain, upon which is a gigantic white cross that no one can make our wayward government take down. Because it is private property.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Went to Target and avoided their lavatory.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Been trying to walk a mile a day for the past two weeks. Only missed two days. And drinking lots of water.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

I found a bike for sale in another town---$30 for a Raleigh mens 3 speed with good tires and Sturmey Archer.
Alas, no fenders, so it'll need fenders come winter but it would be cheaper to buy this than fix my trusty, now nearly demolished Peugeot. I figure on riding it to the gym (all flat road) for a value added workout.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu May 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Did some ring work and then ran jogged 5k with my wife.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu May 26, 2016 1:55 pm

I read a couple of the Old Tom threads.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu May 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Did 6+ miles on the bike at less than 5 minutes/mile. Felt pretty good about that...

And Judge... Nice.... :D
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:20 am

I've gone swimming 4 times in the last two weeks. It's hard to tell while you're doing it, but it's exhausting.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Bicycling for knee health. I don't go too fast, or far. Just enough to get the ticker going pretty good.

Medical evidence--at least for now--states that in aerobic exercise, one must not exert beyond the level where one can carry on a conversation. Not be out of breath so that you can't talk.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Last evening I took the long bicycling route up under our "A" (for Ajo, AZ) Mountain, with a huge concrete & steel white cross atop. I do love to glance at this beautiful cross during seasons when the clouds and atmosphere, and lighting vary.

To get up there requires some low gear pedaling, for there are a few slightly hilly streets.

By the time I am at the top, a very wide, straight, long, steep, downward hill awaits me. And there I always have some fun, cycling in circles, clockwise, then counter clockwise. Even during snowbird season here, there are few cars that travel that street.

Besides it being fun, doing the circles is practical, saving my brakes and giving the sides of the tires some wear.

Bicycling in Ajo is quite safe. But I do have a rear view mirror just in case.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Resistance training, arms and chest yesterday. Hopefully a bike ride today.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 am

Walked-ran 4 miles last night.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:57 am

I'm lifting potato chips right now.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:17 am

I walked up a light of stairs to get to the room with the computer.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:30 am

I threw a thermos full of Iced Tea at Jocose. He's a quick dodging bugger, that's for true.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 am

Four full days of street hiking in Manhattan.