Smoked, Smoking, Will Smoke?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
cwjudyjr
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Smoked, Smoking, Will Smoke?

Post by cwjudyjr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Peterson Summertime 2011 in 2016 St Pat Pete XL02.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:53 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:McClelland CC 2004 right now in my Lexington, and a bit later, GH Rich Dark Honeydew. It's been undisturbed in a jelly jar for almost four years, and I have neglected to smoke it much. Kind of strange, since I love GH! Will be interesting to see how it strikes me after all this time. Here was my review from January 2012:

Just had a bowl of this (I've had a few) in a Yello-Bole I just found out is probably from the early to mid 30s. This to me is a sign from above that it's time to review. True, I have not had all that many smokes of this recently aquired weed, but it's pretty straightforward. Nice thin ribbon, almost a shag. They really did mean that about a "small amount of broken flake;" I just noticed it while breaking out this last bowl, and until I got in here and read that description, thought the literally one piece I found had just made it in by accident!

Not a Lakeland floral topping. Almost a MacBaren-type topping, but it smokes differently than a MacBaren. I can tell it's GH. A little sweeter, perhaps. Honeydew, not just honey! Burns consistently throughout the bowl, tastes about the same all the way, no matter what the smoking rate, though best sipped, like most things. I do get the urge to puff a bit with tobaccos like this, though. No harm results to my tongue with Rich Dark Honeydew. The name isn't quite right: it's mainly light brown, with some darker flecks. Rich, but not strong or all that complex. No problem; nice smoke I will enjoy going to quite often.
...more... 8)

In an old apple-shape basket pipe of unknown make and origin...
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Orlik Golden Slices in a Peterson Deluxe Canadian (264) Tin opened in 2009, jarred since

stuffed folded flakes in, crushed the top down. Smoking nice and cool so far
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Esoterica Blackpool, which has to be 10-15 years old, in the ugly but nicely-smoking Whitehall rusticated billiard. Good stuff, described by the blender this way:

Perfectly blended hot pressed dark and Golden Virginias, jet-black and shiny with natural oils. Topped with a dash of licorice extract. This thoroughly satisfying tobacco has an English pedigree with marvelous smoking characteristics.

The bag was well-aged when I got it, and three more years in a jar I have hardly opened have made it even better than I remember. May be a sipper, though I have been hitting the pipe pretty hard these last couple days, and my tongue may be fried...have to try it when I haven't had a pipe for a while. The licorice is just enough to taste; not an aromatic.

Actually, the Whitehall is not really all that ugly, though certainly not elegant, and The Ugly Whitehall is just my pet name for it. One of my favorite pipes, and I got it new for $10! 8)
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:45 am

C&D Sunday Picnic 2008, jarred since 2009, in my best pipe, A Talamona billiard. Forgot how good this stuff was, and I'm finding it ages well.

In the rotation for today, MacBaren Navy Flake c.1991, GH Coniston Cut Plug (yum; thanks, Jocose!), and Peterson's Perfect Plug 2009.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Have heard a lot good things about Pipes and Cigars' Trout Stream.
Ordered some to sample it.

Recently, I've developed a fondness for Canadian style pipes, and spent yesterday and today smoking the two I currently own--a good grade Orlik and a lower grade Comoy's (Sunrise). Both pipes smoke very well.

PAD struck and I've ordered a couple of Stanwell Trio 56 Canadians, one smooth, one blasted--they're on sale again at pipesandcigars.com and cheaper than similar estates at the current sale price.

Plan to break them in with the Trout Stream and will report back.
These pipes' bowls are coated and my experience is that they smoke pretty well from the first bowl.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:35 pm

McClelland VA #25 in "The Unknown Apple." Tin 2006, opened and jarred 2011, pulled out of drawer 2016. Very nice!

GH Bright CR Flake up next.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:41 pm

The last of some Gawith, Hoggarth & Co Best Brown Aromatic Flake.

Bent billiard lattice meer, CPS POY 2014.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:26 pm

I decided to find out what all the hoopla was about Captain Black, White label. Currently smoking a bowl in my 2014 CPS POY Meer. It's good, stays lit well, has an okay flavor, and the Missus says it smells pleasant. Interesting stuff.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:I decided to find out what all the hoopla was about Captain Black, White label. Currently smoking a bowl in my 2014 CPS POY Meer. It's good, stays lit well, has an okay flavor, and the Missus says it smells pleasant. Interesting stuff.
It will produce the same level of coloring effect with 4 oz as a pound of anything else smoked in a meer.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 pm

durangopipe wrote:Have heard a lot good things about Pipes and Cigars' Trout Stream.
Ordered some to sample it.

Recently, I've developed a fondness for Canadian style pipes, and spent yesterday and today smoking the two I currently own--a good grade Orlik and a lower grade Comoy's (Sunrise). Both pipes smoke very well.

PAD struck and I've ordered a couple of Stanwell Trio 56 Canadians, one smooth, one blasted--they're on sale again at pipesandcigars.com and cheaper than similar estates at the current sale price.

Plan to break them in with the Trout Stream and will report back.
These pipes' bowls are coated and my experience is that they smoke pretty well from the first bowl.
I acquired an usmoked Pete Donegal canadian in a trade. Promised my wife I'd spend two weeks of serious effort to sell. But I'm starting to really like the shape. I held it up to my face and it seems to suit me. It calls to me. One more week to go.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Fainn wrote: I acquired an usmoked Pete Donegal canadian in a trade. Promised my wife I'd spend two weeks of serious effort to sell. But I'm starting to really like the shape. I held it up to my face and it seems to suit me. It calls to me. One more week to go.
I'll offer to exchange emails with you about buying the pipe. Don't worry, I can't really buy it as I have no money for that kind of purchase right now.
Official London Fatberg Finder

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:36 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Fainn wrote: I acquired an usmoked Pete Donegal canadian in a trade. Promised my wife I'd spend two weeks of serious effort to sell. But I'm starting to really like the shape. I held it up to my face and it seems to suit me. It calls to me. One more week to go.
I'll offer to exchange emails with you about buying the pipe. Don't worry, I can't really buy it as I have no money for that kind of purchase right now.

Looks like a brother of the briar helping a brother of the briar to me.
I agree with those who say the long, oval, briar stem makes for a wonderful looking, terrific smoking pipe.

I'm smitten with them.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

Looks like a brother of the briar helping a brother of the briar to me.
I agree with those who say the long, oval, briar stem makes for a wonderful looking, terrific smoking pipe.

I'm smitten with them.
I believe we have a plan

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Last night I had a couple bowls of Prince Albert in my Dr. Grabow Special 11.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Sugar Barrel is a Peterson tankard 2005 POY.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:08 pm

PA in a MM Twain. Tomorrow PA in a basket pipe, followed by PA in a Savinelli Roma.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:47 pm

My first Peterson is on the way . . .
An estate Donegal Rocky billiard.

I'd been avoiding Petes because of mixed reviews regarding quality control I'd read, but I managed to get one online at a very good price and figured I owed it to myself to give one a try.

As often as some are critical of them, many more say that they are their favorite pipes.
I'm looking forward to forming my own opinion--from an admittedly small sample size!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Peterson is coming from New England . . .
Mailing was delayed because of snow.

Very eager to try it out.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Solani Aged Burley Flake in a Stanwell Zebrano blast 185.
Official London Fatberg Finder