Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Tatanka » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 am
Off hand I can only think of two Westerns that had a character riding a horse and smoking a pipe. One was a TV movie about Chief Joseph, James Whitmore was the cavalry officer in pursuit and he smoked a briar pipe most of the time he was riding. Also The Scalp Hunters; Burt Lancaster smoked a short briar apple bowled pipe in many scenes including on horseback.
Wow! You have a magnificent memory! I saw a white-haired, bearded Old Poop, in my bathroom mirror smoking a pipe the other day; but darned if I can tell you who it was! :) :) :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Alfred Hitchcock. I know he was famous for cigars, but I happen to have a pipe that was bought from his estate after he passed.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:10 pm

mountainman wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 pm
Alfred Hitchcock. I know he was famous for cigars, but I happen to have a pipe that was bought from his estate after he passed.
I'd like to see it.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:10 pm
mountainman wrote:
I'd like to see it.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am

mountainman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 am
JimVH wrote:
mountainman wrote:
I'd like to see it.
Thanks. That's pretty cool. I wonder what stories it could tell...
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am
mountainman wrote:
JimVH wrote:
mountainman wrote:
I'd like to see it.
+1
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 am

The Pipe-Smoking Preferences of Famous Authors
I have a book of quotes – it’s yellowed like an aging smoker’s hair and smells like an old book should. A few nights ago I found this sterling thought from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“The high prize of life, the crowning fortune of a man, is to be born with a bias to some pursuit, which finds him in employment and happiness.”

Writing has brought me employment and happiness. And while smoking a pipe never brought me a job, it has brought me hours of calm joy. I would expect to hear the same from famous authors who, with the same hands they scribbled out story ideas, held a pipe as the sun crept down to tired horizons. I suppose that's why I love pipes. It's more than the thick smoke – when I look down the vulcanite stem and follow the curve of the shank up the bowl, I join their ghosts.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 am
The Pipe-Smoking Preferences of Famous Authors
I have a book of quotes – it’s yellowed like an aging smoker’s hair and smells like an old book should. A few nights ago I found this sterling thought from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“The high prize of life, the crowning fortune of a man, is to be born with a bias to some pursuit, which finds him in employment and happiness.”

Writing has brought me employment and happiness. And while smoking a pipe never brought me a job, it has brought me hours of calm joy. I would expect to hear the same from famous authors who, with the same hands they scribbled out story ideas, held a pipe as the sun crept down to tired horizons. I suppose that's why I love pipes. It's more than the thick smoke – when I look down the vulcanite stem and follow the curve of the shank up the bowl, I join their ghosts.
Beautifully written. Thank you.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 am
JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am
mountainman wrote:
JimVH wrote:
mountainman wrote:
I'd like to see it.
+1
Cool!
I'm a big fan of Hitch.

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
I have yet to see a western movie or photo from actual western history where a man on horseback had a pipe in his mouth! My teeth would have been broken off or jarred loose had I tried it.
You could do a lot of packing on horseback with a pipe in your mouth. Mostly, you're just riding at a walk.
Of course, that wouldn't be very exciting in a movie.
With a pipe in the mouth is a different story! In camp; or riding in the night around the herd, THAT would be possible! But riding? I can't imagine a pipe in the mouth! In the cattle round-up and drive and branding I participate in - outside of Sheridan, WY, I could not have held, NOR wanted to hold a pipe in 'me mouth!" :_
Wasn't that the purpose of the saddle bit? Haha

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Karl Radek was a pretty prolific pipe smoker. Till Stalin black bagged him and he disappeared into the Gulag system never to be heard from again. This pipe smoker on pipe smoker violence has to stop.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm

KYBURLEY wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
I have yet to see a western movie or photo from actual western history where a man on horseback had a pipe in his mouth! My teeth would have been broken off or jarred loose had I tried it.
You could do a lot of packing on horseback with a pipe in your mouth. Mostly, you're just riding at a walk.
Of course, that wouldn't be very exciting in a movie.
With a pipe in the mouth is a different story! In camp; or riding in the night around the herd, THAT would be possible! But riding? I can't imagine a pipe in the mouth! In the cattle round-up and drive and branding I participate in - outside of Sheridan, WY, I could not have held, NOR wanted to hold a pipe in 'me mouth!" :_
Wasn't that the purpose of the saddle bit? Haha
To be fair, even if you haven't seen pipes in the mouths of riders, you've seen cavalry buglers, bugling at a full gallop. That seems like it would take out more teeth than a pipe ever could.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 am

Carl Jung, Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology. Looks here like he just packed a bowl full. I wonder what he smoked...

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:44 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 am
Carl Jung, Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology. Looks here like he just packed a bowl full. I wonder what he smoked...

Don't know, but I've read he was a yuuuge fan of falcon pipes.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.