Famous pipe smokers

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19847
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Jerry Lee Lewis

Image
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2468
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Sir Moose » Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am

Left to right: Frank James, Fletch Taylor, Jesse James

Image
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7664
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am
Left to right: Frank James, Fletch Taylor, Jesse James

Image
Wow, Jesse James! A long time treasurer for the state of Texas was named Jesse James.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am
Left to right: Frank James, Fletch Taylor, Jesse James

Image
Wow, Jesse James! A long time treasurer for the state of Texas was named Jesse James.
Fascinating. I never knew that he was a pipe smoker.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:22 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am
Left to right: Frank James, Fletch Taylor, Jesse James

Image
Wow, Jesse James! A long time treasurer for the state of Texas was named Jesse James.
Fascinating. I never knew that he was a pipe smoker.
Ah, yes. In the best movie about Jesse James, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, Robert Duvall as Jesse smokes a pipe. The man does his research! He looked like photos of Jesse from the era too, down to the goatee.

He smoked a pipe as Dr Watson in The Seven Percent Solution too. He did his homework; but Nicol Williamson as Sherlock did not. Nicol had an obviously unsmoked ever calabash in his mouth once; never filled or lit it. Duvall is also a lifelong non-smoker & non-drinker. He had an excellent drunk scene in The Great Santini.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:46 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:22 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am
Left to right: Frank James, Fletch Taylor, Jesse James

Image
Wow, Jesse James! A long time treasurer for the state of Texas was named Jesse James.
Fascinating. I never knew that he was a pipe smoker.
Ah, yes. In the best movie about Jesse James, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, Robert Duvall as Jesse smokes a pipe. The man does his research! He looked like photos of Jesse from the era too, down to the goatee.

He smoked a pipe as Dr Watson in The Seven Percent Solution too. He did his homework; but Nicol Williamson as Sherlock did not. Nicol had an obviously unsmoked ever calabash in his mouth once; never filled or lit it. Duvall is also a lifelong non-smoker & non-drinker. He had an excellent drunk scene in The Great Santini.
Odd thing for Nicol Williamson. He was a smoker and rather a heavy smoker in real life. I've seen him smoke a pipe in other roles.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:46 pm
dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:22 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am
Left to right: Frank James, Fletch Taylor, Jesse James

Image
Wow, Jesse James! A long time treasurer for the state of Texas was named Jesse James.
Fascinating. I never knew that he was a pipe smoker.
Ah, yes. In the best movie about Jesse James, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, Robert Duvall as Jesse smokes a pipe. The man does his research! He looked like photos of Jesse from the era too, down to the goatee.

He smoked a pipe as Dr Watson in The Seven Percent Solution too. He did his homework; but Nicol Williamson as Sherlock did not. Nicol had an obviously unsmoked ever calabash in his mouth once; never filled or lit it. Duvall is also a lifelong non-smoker & non-drinker. He had an excellent drunk scene in The Great Santini.
Odd thing for Nicol Williamson. He was a smoker and rather a heavy smoker in real life. I've seen him smoke a pipe in other roles.
Then I shall blame the director. Much more satisfying!
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Tatanka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I have yet to see a western movie or photo from actual western history where a man on horseback had a pipe in his mouth! My teeth would have been broken off or jarred loose had I tried it.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4264
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
I have yet to see a western movie or photo from actual western history where a man on horseback had a pipe in his mouth! My teeth would have been broken off or jarred loose had I tried it.
You could do a lot of packing on horseback with a pipe in your mouth. Mostly, you're just riding at a walk.
Of course, that wouldn't be very exciting in a movie.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Tatanka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
I have yet to see a western movie or photo from actual western history where a man on horseback had a pipe in his mouth! My teeth would have been broken off or jarred loose had I tried it.
You could do a lot of packing on horseback with a pipe in your mouth. Mostly, you're just riding at a walk.
Of course, that wouldn't be very exciting in a movie.
With a pipe in the mouth is a different story! In camp; or riding in the night around the herd, THAT would be possible! But riding? I can't imagine a pipe in the mouth! In the cattle round-up and drive and branding I participate in - outside of Sheridan, WY, I could not have held, NOR wanted to hold a pipe in 'me mouth!" :_
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Tatanka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Riding at a walk does not work when rounding up - in a "round-up" .... you Quarter/Arab mix mare sees a doggie "over there!" And off she jumps to go corral it back into the herd. Kinda like the Holy Spirit pulling you back into the fold. :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4264
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:24 pm
Riding at a walk does not work when rounding up - in a "round-up" .... you Quarter/Arab mix mare sees a doggie "over there!" And off she jumps to go corral it back into the herd. Kinda like the Holy Spirit pulling you back into the fold. :)
I hear you, Tatanka.
I never had to do that kind of riding.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Tatanka » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:49 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:24 pm
Riding at a walk does not work when rounding up - in a "round-up" .... you Quarter/Arab mix mare sees a doggie "over there!" And off she jumps to go corral it back into the herd. Kinda like the Holy Spirit pulling you back into the fold. :)
I hear you, Tatanka.
I never had to do that kind of riding.
It sounds like you may have had horses. My wife was raised with horses from babyhood. I had to wait until we lived in WY and MT. One grand memory I have is being asked by a neighbor cattle-man to help him with other volunteers and his family; and I helped to round up his cattle, drive them to his place for branding and castrating, and helped with that - a dirty, dusty job; but I did it. I even took my rope and tried to rope the next doggie and ended up getting the rope around my OWN HORSES front legs! :lol: :oops:
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Sheer, abject rage.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 am

Off hand I can only think of two Westerns that had a character riding a horse and smoking a pipe. One was a TV movie about Chief Joseph, James Whitmore was the cavalry officer in pursuit and he smoked a briar pipe most of the time he was riding. Also The Scalp Hunters; Burt Lancaster smoked a short briar apple bowled pipe in many scenes including on horseback.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 am
Off hand I can only think of two Westerns that had a character riding a horse and smoking a pipe. One was a TV movie about Chief Joseph, James Whitmore was the cavalry officer in pursuit and he smoked a briar pipe most of the time he was riding. Also The Scalp Hunters; Burt Lancaster smoked a short briar apple bowled pipe in many scenes including on horseback.
Yes, as did Sam Eliot in the film Gettysburg. Of the people mentioned, I believe only James Whitmore smoked a pipe in everyday life. James Whitmore: there's an actor I'd like to be when I grow up.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4264
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am

Image

Image

Extraordinary actor, and a fascinating life.

Not a rich kid, he went to Choate on a football scholarship, subsequently graduated Yale, joined the Marines - saw action in the South Pacific, studied acting on the GI Bill, then a storied acting career.

Here's a bit of weird trivia:

His family owned a small farm in upstate New York. Apparently, one of his Roosters won a prize at an agricultural fair of some sort. I never got a lot of details, but the friend who shared this with me grew up near the Whitmores' property.

I only know this because years ago this friend circulated among a group of us a photo taken of the award Whitmore had won for his Rooster which he'd posted on a fencepost near the entry to the farm. I can't remember all that was written on the award, but it was hard too miss and would be impossible to forget the giant letters which proudly announced of James Whitmore that he had been awarded the prize for BEST COCK.

Apparently, in addition to being a terrific actor, he had quite the sense of humor.

I've emailed the friend to ask if he has a digital copy of the photo. If he sends it, I'll post it.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 am
Off hand I can only think of two Westerns that had a character riding a horse and smoking a pipe. One was a TV movie about Chief Joseph, James Whitmore was the cavalry officer in pursuit and he smoked a briar pipe most of the time he was riding. Also The Scalp Hunters; Burt Lancaster smoked a short briar apple bowled pipe in many scenes including on horseback.
Yes, as did Sam Eliot in the film Gettysburg. Of the people mentioned, I believe only James Whitmore smoked a pipe in everyday life. James Whitmore: there's an actor I'd like to be when I grow up.
I've owned the dvd for Gettysburg for several years, but have never watched it. I need to remedy that. I loved Gods and Generals.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 am

Oh, and I looked up the tv film about Chief Joseph. It was I Will Fight No More Forever. Whitmore played Gen. O.O. Howard, known as the Christian General. I wonder if Gen. Howard actually smoked a pipe. If he did we should make him an honorary member here.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
Jester
Elder
Elder
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Famous pipe smokers

Post by Jester » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Orson Welles
Image
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Post Reply