A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: pipe sighting

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:57 am

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 am

Mrs FredS and I went to an 'art walk' last night. It was pathetic. One gallery with middling works, one black man playing electric guitar in the back of his Ranger pick up, and one hippy selling handmade soaps on the sidewalk. It's a neat area of KC, but right now it's just a poor neighborhood. In twenty years it'll be a trendy arts district but not yet.

Anyway, we had time to kill so we walked over to a nice restaurant she'd heard about for a cocktail. We ended up staying for dinner in their lovely garden out back. As we left there was a pack of 60-something men and women setting at a table they'd pulled of to the side in order to smoke. One man and one lady were smoking pipes and they had a 1 lb bag of tobacco out so I nodded towards the bag and said they'd come prepared. Turns out they're all from Oklahoma and buy their tobacco from the Indians (feather, not dot). Ten dollars a pound! They claimed it was more 'pure' than tobacco on the regular market because it doesn't have 'all those additives'. They offered me a sample but I was without pipe and none of us had rolling papers (the lady emptied her purse looking for some) so I passed.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:02 pm

FredS wrote:... feather, not dot ...
Thanks for clarifying.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Saw a youngish, bearded chap smoking some sort of bent Rhodesian is his car a couple of days ago over on West 18th.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Today I saw a fellow driving a white van, wearing a large straw hat, sunglasses, and a nice sized pipe clinched in his teeth. He seemed happy.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 am

A main character in the novel I am currently reading is a pipe smoker. I don't think that this classifies as a pipe sighting, per sey, but I was pleasantly surprised, all the same.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 am
A main character in the novel I am currently reading is a pipe smoker. I don't think that this classifies as a pipe sighting, per sey, but I was pleasantly surprised, all the same.
I wonder if we're reading the same book.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am

I'm sorry to say that Durango is not a place where others smoke pipes. I have not spotted a pipe in a local's mouth since school let out in May. Every pipe I've spotted has been in the mouth of a visiting friend on my front porch. Fortunately, there have been several of those over the summer.

On Monday, I'll again begin to have the pleasure of daily pipes with a colleague at work. I'm very much looking forward to it.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 am

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 am
A_Morley wrote:
Possibly. Are you reading Savage Season by Joe R. Lansdale?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 am
John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Nah. Moby Dick. I forget the author.
Praying - coco

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 am
A_Morley wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
I see. Well, I picked up this book by Lansdale knowing nothing except that he was a writer of alternative horror and adventure stories. One of the main characters is an oil field worker and a cage fighter who also regularly smokes a pipe.

There are probably more mentions of pipes in Moby Dick, though, if only because of its length in comparison to other books, and its nineteenth century nautical setting. I can't be sure. I'd have to read it again, but I've already read it five times. What more do you want from me, John? What?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am
John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
I see. Well, I picked up this book by Lansdale knowing nothing except that he was a writer of alternative horror and adventure stories. One of the main characters is an oil field worker and a cage fighter who also regularly smokes a pipe.

There are probably more mentions of pipes in Moby Dick, though, if only because of its length in comparison to other books, and its nineteenth century nautical setting. I can't be sure. I'd have to read it again, but I've already read it five times. What more do you want from me, John? What?
Yeah. I've never ready it. Maybe because I was told I had to or something like that. They mentioned it on the "Country Squire Radio Podcast." I picked it up and have been loving it. Harry Melville? Is that his name?
Praying - coco

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 am

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am
A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am
John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Yeah. I've never ready it. Maybe because I was told I had to or something like that. They mentioned it on the "Country Squire Radio Podcast." I picked it up and have been loving it. Harry Melville? Is that his name?
He might have answered to Harry. I'm not sure. He and Nathaniel Hawthorne were friends. I wonder what they called one another. I imagine that they likely kept to the nineteenth century custom of referring to one another by their last names, even if they were close friends. Again, though, I can't be sure.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

Man smoking a pipe in a hospital scene in Bullitt.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 pm

I saw these pipes on Saturday Night Live. At first I was thinking Kenan might be a legit pipe smoker as these pipes seemed pretty nice for props (one looks like a Peterson and the other I'm not sure, but it looks really nice.) However, I saw the Pete in another sketch, different episode, different person. So, maybe they are just props.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

I think this hospital gift shop also sells Pipe? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk