pipe sighting

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: pipe sighting

Post by Gabriel » Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Last week I went up our local small lake to fish the last hour surrounding sunset. There was a pair of fellows down the bank apparently fishing for catfish, one of them was smoking what may have been one of the MM wood pipes. It was hard to tell and I wasn't about to climb down the bank to point at his pipe.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 pm

A_Morley wrote:
joegoat wrote:We exchanged friendly nods and smiles.
Other pipe smokers try to exchange friendly smiles and nods with me. I fix them in a steely glare and refuse to blink until they leave.
The last stranger that commented on my pipe was young person, maybe college age. I was at our bank after hours (there are automatic tellers in the vestibule) and since it was after hours I didn't bother to leave my pipe in the car. The young person in question came in and starts off with an enthusiastic "DUUUUUDE! sweet pipe!"

I don't really respond to "DUUUUUDE!" This was no exception.
Sola Deo Gloria

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue May 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Just saw a white haired gentleman of African descent smoking an elaborate meerschaum in the courtyard of an apartment complex near to my own.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:42 pm

I came across some old Garfield comics...

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:58 pm

I must admit this thread has caused me to smoke a pipe more boldly in public. Maybe I'll be spotted by an hiring manager and they'll think, "That guy with the pipe looks smart and trustworthy. He should work for us so we can pay him gobs of money." Well, I can hope...
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Sir Moose wrote:I came across some old Garfield comics...

Garfield was my favorite when I was young.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:25 pm

There's a new sitcom on the BBC called Upstart Crow. It's about Shakespeare. I don't want to like it, but I do. What is more, each episode ends with Shakespeare and his wife both smoking a pipe by the fireside. Shakespeare's father is also a character, and he is also always depicted smoking a pipe.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:25 am

I was at the local Highland games yesterday and kept seeing a somewhat distinguished looking gentleman in a kilt (a real one - not some utilikilt mess) who was smoking a nice free-hand pipe. It smelled good every time I saw him and several times that I smelled his pipe but didn't see him.
The pipe was somewhat similar to this one:
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Being a season ticket holder, I attended today's opening of Sweeney Todd at the Portland Opera. In one of the crowd scenes I couldn't help noticing one of the supernumeraries who was costumed as a Victorian loafer leaning against a lamp post with a pipe in his mouth.

Later in the show, Sweeney was sitting on the steps of his barber shop whilst smoking a pipe. In the scene in Mrs Lovett's parlor where the song "By the Sea" occurs, Sweeney sat on the settee throughout, again smoking a pipe.

Having worked with Portland Opera before and being on good terms with (read: had a fling with) both the wig mistress and one of the chorus singers, I was allowed backstage after the show. I saw the prop table for the crowd scene and the pipe used therein. It was a Grabow. I did not get near the lead actor's dressing rooms so I was not able to examine Sweeney's pipe.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

The Dr Kelso character on the shows Scrubs smokes a pipe in an episode during season one. It is in a scene on the hospital roof.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:34 pm

I just saw a chap, about my age with a big, bushy blonde beard filling a bent billiard from a tobacco pouch as he walked towards me going the opisite direction I was going on NW 21st. Earlier, I was down town and saw a swarthy, outdoorsy looking younger man smoking a straight billiard.

That's two pipe smokers in one day. Is Portland a pipe smoking paradise?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:37 pm

A_Morley wrote:I just saw a chap, about my age with a big, bushy blonde beard filling a bent billiard from a tobacco pouch as he walked towards me going the opisite direction I was going on NW 21st. Earlier, I was down town and saw a swarthy, outdoorsy looking younger man smoking a straight billiard.

Click here to read about hipsters and pipes.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:21 pm

mont974x4 wrote:The Dr Kelso character on the shows Scrubs smokes a pipe in an episode during season one. It is in a scene on the hospital roof.
That pipe makes several appearances throughout the show. Looks like a Peterson?

At one point Elliot pretends to smoke a pipe as well. It very clearly does not have any tobacco in it. Given the way Kelso holds his pipe and whatnot, he either actually smokes one, or is at least familiar with people who do and has watched their mannerisms.
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:50 pm

A_Morley wrote:I just saw a chap, about my age with a big, bushy blonde beard filling a bent billiard from a tobacco pouch as he walked towards me going the opisite direction I was going on NW 21st. Earlier, I was down town and saw a swarthy, outdoorsy looking younger man smoking a straight billiard.

Last time I was in Portland I smoked my pipe in the park downtown 2 blocks up the hill from the hotel....where were you???
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Gabriel wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:The Dr Kelso character on the shows Scrubs smokes a pipe in an episode during season one. It is in a scene on the hospital roof.
That pipe makes several appearances throughout the show. Looks like a Peterson?

At one point Elliot pretends to smoke a pipe as well. It very clearly does not have any tobacco in it. Given the way Kelso holds his pipe and whatnot, he either actually smokes one, or is at least familiar with people who do and has watched their mannerisms.
I agree.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:19 am

UncleBob wrote:

Click here to read about hipsters and pipes.
Dammit, you wrote that, didn't you? I feel tricked.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:21 am

Bloodhound wrote:

Last time I was in Portland I smoked my pipe in the park downtown 2 blocks up the hill from the hotel....where were you???
Were you in the Park Blocks? When were you there? I can only give you an account of my particular whereabouts if you give me some specific dates.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 am

Yesterday I was browsing the antiques shops of Lebanon and came across a diamond in the rough (a heavily caked, grungy, Danish made Liverpool) and her unattractive friend (a plastic stemmed, sand blasted Medico with a circle on either side of the bowl left unblasted). The latter was was just making the Liverpool look even better. I took both home because they were $10 each after the 50% markdown and you can never have enough cheap pipes you don't care about. As I was walking toward the cashier a gentleman in his late 70's who had seen me admiring the pipes asked, "Could I ask you something?" "A few days ago in the crossword there was a seven letter word. The clue was pipe and the last three letters were cob. What would the first four be?" I told him corn would be my guess. He was very thankful for the help.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:09 pm

This article about a Massachusetts undertaker has a picture of him smoking his pipe in his office.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Just shared the sidewalk with a bearded man, about my age, wearing a knit cap and a blue flannel shirt. He was smoking a quarter bent saddle bit apple.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS