lighters?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

lighters?

Post by tarheel7734 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm

In the past I had a Dunhill Unique and a corona old boy. They were great lighters. Here in is 5 years later and I am needing a lighter. There are a lot of different brands that are like the ones I had in the past. Xikar are half the price or more than the old boys I can find. Anyone have any experience with these? What about the Peterson's? I would like an old boy but can't find the one I want for a reasonable price (80-100.00) I like the silver stripe and the herringbone. What say you?

Oldgoldsmoke
Congregation
Congregation

Re: lighters?

Post by Oldgoldsmoke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't have much experience unfortunately. I have a Colibri Pipette pipe lighter that looks really nice but I need to get new flints for it. I really should get on that.

Here is a link I found to the exact one I have. Mine is in the same box with the same literature. I think the classics are cool.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Colibri ... 51c4ffac8c

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:51 pm

The Xikar old-boy types have a reputation for the part holding the flint coming loose. I vaguely recall one person on Youtube saying he had a fix for thst but I don't recall what it was. I have a Xikar Resource--NOT an old-boy type-- and pretty much hated it for the entire time I used it. Can't say about the Petersons. I do like the Zippo pipe lighters--the fuel taste is nor thst big a deal to me-- but I agree with one person who suggested thst butane burns hotter, which seems to be an advantage with some flakes. I eventually broke down and bought the chrapest Corona Old Boy I could find and I've been very pleased. If I had a suggestion, it would be to buy a pack of adjustable-flame disposable lighters and eait an extra paycheck or two until you felt comfortable spending the simoleons for the lighter you really want. You'll do it eventually anyway, that's my bet.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 pm

I've had good results from Xikar, Vector, and Zippo. My Old Boy is a pain in the butt and I can't warn you strongly enough against anything made by Colibri.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

Post by tarheel7734 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:51 pm

JimVH wrote:I've had good results from Xikar, Vector, and Zippo. My Old Boy is a pain in the butt and I can't warn you strongly enough against anything made by Colibri.
I stay away from colibri. Had a lot of issues in the past. I do have a xikar cigar lighter that is ok. Had it replaced once a few years ago, but the finish is not nice any longer. My old boy was great that I had and served me well for about a decade. The Dunhill was a great lighter and if I could justify 300+ right now for a lighter I would get it. Check don't even have a pipe quite yet.
Last edited by tarheel7734 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:12 am

My best performing lighter is a Vector Rapid Dash. I received it as a gift 6 or 7 yrs ago and have used it almost daily since without a problem. It does not have the satisfying heft of an Old Boy, but unlike my Old Boy, it works every time I ask it to. With a price point around $25 it's the perfect daily driver.

"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:16 am

My older copper Zippo has been hiding for a couple of weeks.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:10 am

I love my old boy. I've had it for at least 4 years now with absolutely no problems (of course, I don't use it nearly as often as a multi-pipe-a-day smoker). I'd say it's worth the money as other lighters I've had (Xikar especially) may have been half the cost up front but ended up wearing out/breaking over twice as fast. Spending $100 on a lighter that will last 5 years or more may be the smarter choice than spending $50 on a lighter that only lasts 2 years. Simple math (even though I suck at math).

Depending on where you're located I'd suggest looking in the nearest Brick-and-Mortar (B&M) pipe/cigar store for an Old Boy. If your B&M is anything like mine (even though 'mine' is over an hour away), they have about half a dozen Old Boys that have been sitting in the shop for years unsold. You may be able to make them an offer they can't refuse. Selling a lighter that's been in your store for little to no profit is still better than having that merchandise just sit there when that money could be invested in product that actually moves!

tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

Post by tarheel7734 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:46 am

MrPiper wrote:Maybe if you have already lost a Dunhill and an Old Boy you should be restricted to a .99 Bic disposable until you learn to be more responsible. I'm just sayin...
I did not lose them, I sold them, as I thought I would not smoke again.

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 pm

I am still using the same Zippo I bought in 1986...I had my initials engraved on the lid and it has been back to Zippo one time about 3 years ago for a rebuild....but as long as I keep it filled with Zippo fluid and flints, it is a work horse. I use only Zippo fluid and I light it and let if flame for the count of 3 and I never taste any lighter fluid taste...

I have a friend who also uses his Zippo but he puts pure alcohol in it and while it doesn't burn as hot, it has no scent or taste....he is good to lite indoors, but outside the flame isn't enough to light his pipe sometimes.

I have been thinking of getting one of these.... http://www.zippo.com/lighters.aspx?id=1227 But can't justify it as I like my regular Zippo....
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:43 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Rapid-Buta ... or+lighter

This looks nice too...may consider and its the same $$ as a new Zippo fuel lighter
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

Post by tarheel7734 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Going to pass on the xikar lighter. Talked to my local shop today and got mixed results. Basically told it is an ok lighter but no where near the quality of a Dunhill or a DuPont. He sells Xikar, colibri, and Zippo. So I am trying to decide whether I should buy an old boy or layaway a Dunhill for 2 months. If I was not buying a Ferndown in a week I would just buy the Dunhill, but I need to buy a pipe and whatever else I need to get started again. Probably need a pouch to carry everything in when I go to the b&m and hang out or where ever else I go to smoke. I have surly learnt a lesson. I will never get rid of my fountain pens, pipes, or anything else I love again.

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 pm

My igntion kit contains two lighters,and windscreen + pipe cleaners.

!) Zippo pipe lighter I've had for 2 years.No muss,no fuss.Lights first time every time.Lighter fluid fumes remind me of Jet-A.

2) Lotus Brand, Vertigo sub-brand,"Puffer" model with the three integrated pipe tools.Got it free as part of a deal from pipes and cigars.com.
Darn thing won't hold a flame even in the slightest hint of a wind.

Also have a back up Xikar Stratosphere lighter which I got free as part of a deal at the cigars.com B+M store in Hamburg,PA.
It's a torch lighter which at first glance appears to be a touph outdoor type. Upon closer examination,the positive locking protective lid,isn't so positive:It can be defeated by just applying the slightest amount of upward pressure on the.Came with a lanyard-big deal.One good feature:clear sight "glass" shows butane level.

Of course,have a few 99 cent bic lighters laying about strategically.

We may have matches about somewhere.
Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Fear God and keep His commandments,for this is the whole duty of man. Ecc.12:13

I get up, walk two steps, fall down and get up again only to repeat the same...if you meet me face down on life's pathway,please help me to get up.

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:In the past I had a Dunhill Unique and a corona old boy. They were great lighters. Here in is 5 years later and I am needing a lighter. There are a lot of different brands that are like the ones I had in the past. Xikar are half the price or more than the old boys I can find. Anyone have any experience with these? What about the Peterson's? I would like an old boy but can't find the one I want for a reasonable price (80-100.00) I like the silver stripe and the herringbone. What say you?
I fooled around with several cheapos that gave me problems. An Old Boy is way out of my financial league. I got a zippo with the pipe insert and like it a lot! Only drawback is it needs filling often. That could have to do with the fact that I relight often.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:14 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:My older copper Zippo has been hiding for a couple of weeks.
Told you I recently got a zippo! 8O

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm

MrPiper wrote:Maybe if you have already lost a Dunhill and an Old Boy you should be restricted to a .99 Bic disposable until you learn to be more responsible. I'm just sayin...
Tarheel my son, you are hereby limited to one paper match a day. Now, I hope you will use that responsibly, hold on to it, don't lose it and someday, if you show that you've learned to be responsible, we'll let you have a wooden kitchen match. :pipe2:

tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

Post by tarheel7734 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:
Tarheel my son, you are hereby limited to one paper match a day. Now, I hope you will use that responsibly, hold on to it, don't lose it and someday, if you show that you've learned to be responsible, we'll let you have a wooden kitchen match. :pipe2:
Again I did not loose the lighters. I had these lighters for many years before I sold them with all my pipes and tobacco. He'll I have fountain pens that were over 1k and use them daily. I take care of my stuff, I was just giving up smoking for my wife which she did not ask. He'll I have the same xikar pipe lighter that she bought me on out wedding day back in 2012.

I just need to decide on an old boy or dunhill.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I get the idea tarheel may not have lost his lighters. Anyone else with that vibe?