lighters?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

Re: lighters?

Post by tarheel7734 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 pm

JimVH wrote:I get the idea tarheel may not have lost his lighters. Anyone else with that vibe?
Lol thanks.

tarheel7734
Usher
Usher

Post by tarheel7734 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:12 pm

I have decided on an old boy, and maybe after I get more pipes I might get a Dunhill. Hard to spend 300 on a lighter when only have one pipe.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 am

"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:29 pm

I gave up on the Zippos because I got tired of them running out of fluid so quickly when I needed them. I tried several cheap brands and found them all miserably frustrating. I finally broke down and bought an Old Boy. I now have two Old Boys. One is a silver Sillem's that gives me trouble and I have to tear it down and clean it every couple months. The other is a regular Old Boy and it's very dependable. At some point, I may buy the butane insert for the Zippo but it kinda defeats the purpose I think.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Just checking in with the observation that after three years of daily use, my Old Boy still works just fine despite having been dropped onto concrete a couple of times.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I would still like to have an Old Boy.

But, to shed some "light" on this thread from the other lighter threads, for your outdoor lighting needs, seek out a Nimrod Admiral or Commander. Mine the Zippo threads for more info. Basically, it works as reliably as a Zippo and retains fuel for about three times as long. The problem is they don't make them anymore, but you can snag them on eBay. Mine was new-old-stock and is my go-to lighter now.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm

But, to shed some "light" on this thread from the other lighter threads, for your outdoor lighting needs, seek out a Nimrod Admiral or Commander. Mine the Zippo threads for more info. Basically, it works as reliably as a Zippo and retains fuel for about three times as long. The problem is they don't make them anymore, but you can snag them on eBay. Mine was new-old-stock and is my go-to lighter now.
Wisdom. Attend.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:46 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:

I keep an eye out on my antique shop stops. My Zippo has been far better than any bic or cheap 45 degree flame pipe lighter I've tried to date. The fluid running out is always a pain though.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:46 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

I keep an eye out on my antique shop stops. My Zippo has been far better than any bic or cheap 45 degree flame pipe lighter I've tried to date. The fluid running out is always a pain though.
Hurry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIMROD-COMMANDE ... SwOjBZYmuv

or wow----http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-Vintage-N ... 2672852611
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Oooh, always wanted an Admiral. Somebody should bid on that. Joe, that's your huckleberry, right there.

The difference in quality and functionality over a zippo is exponential.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Hurry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIMROD-COMMANDE ... SwOjBZYmuvSOLD for $8,

or wow----http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-Vintage-N ... 2672852611 UP TO $11.50 w 2 days to go. I predict a sales price around $29.

greenbriar
Congregation
Congregation

Post by greenbriar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm

In have a Zippo pipe lighter. I don't get the lighter fluid taste some complain about, or if I do it goes away with a few puffs. My only complaint is that like any Zippo even if you don't use it for a while the fluid still evaporates. Also a tip if you have trouble finding apipe lighter design you like--just but a normal Zippo that looks good too you and then send it to their repair people and write on your repair instruction slip that you just want the onset replaced for apipe insert and they do it for free

greenbriar
Congregation
Congregation

Post by greenbriar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Those nimrod ones look interesting though

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:44 pm

greenbriar wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm
I have a Zippo pipe lighter. I don't get the lighter fluid taste some complain about, or if I do it goes away with a few puffs. My only complaint is that like any Zippo even if you don't use it for a while the fluid still evaporates. Also a tip if you have trouble finding apipe lighter design you like--just but a normal Zippo that looks good too you and then send it to their repair people and write on your repair instruction slip that you just want the inset replaced for a pipe insert and they do it for free.
All true. I love my Zippos and their only fault is the frequent need to refill. Nimrods use the same fuel; if that bothers you or doesn't, it should be the same with the Nimrod. No customer service with the Nimrod as they are long out of business. Nimrod apparently bettered the frequent refill problem with a simple engineering difference in how the lighter fits together. Although my Zippos have been near to my heart for a long time and one is an engraved gift from my family, the Nimrod usually goes into my pocket.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:34 am

They aren't much coveted but these disposable, directional Linse Lighters are handy to have around. Our GaryinVA brought these to our attention a couple months ago and I have a 3 pack coming..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbrPDkQkTzM

Darn cheap, too....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linse-Lighters- ... SwEetV9NPl
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Bic.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:32 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Hurry.

Well, the first one is gone and someone outright stole it! I may just have to bid on the second one though.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:32 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Hurry.

Well, the first one is gone and someone outright stole it! I may just have to bid on the second one though.
4 hours left. It will be a travesty if you or Hugo do not end up with this new in the box lighter.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:28 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 am
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Hurry.

4 hours left. It will be a travesty if you or Hugo do not end up with this new in the box lighter.
Would it be a travesty if I didn't end up with it? If not, then that's good.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:28 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 am
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
joegoat wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Hurry.

Would it be a travesty if I didn't end up with it? If not, then that's good.
[/quote

Had u expressed an interest in getting a Nimrod lighter?