Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm
joegoat wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:46 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm
I would still like to have an Old Boy.

But, to shed some "light" on this thread from the other lighter threads, for your outdoor lighting needs, seek out a Nimrod Admiral or Commander. Mine the Zippo threads for more info. Basically, it works as reliably as a Zippo and retains fuel for about three times as long. The problem is they don't make them anymore, but you can snag them on eBay. Mine was new-old-stock and is my go-to lighter now.
I keep an eye out on my antique shop stops. My Zippo has been far better than any bic or cheap 45 degree flame pipe lighter I've tried to date. The fluid running out is always a pain though.
Hurry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIMROD-COMMANDE ... SwOjBZYmuvSOLD for $8,

or wow----http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-Vintage-N ... 2672852611 UP TO $11.50 w 2 days to go. I predict a sales price around $29.
$28, missed my guess by one dollar
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: lighters?

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 am

OK so I found a Nimrod lighter, Commander I think. It needs a flint but the Zippo flints I have will not protrude through the hole to engage the wheel. Do these take a special flint?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 am
OK so I found a Nimrod lighter, Commander I think. It needs a flint but the Zippo flints I have will not protrude through the hole to engage the wheel. Do these take a special flint?
No, sir. Old flints disintegrate and turn into cement. You need to take a drill bit and drill it out. Thirty second fix--steady hand and slow speed.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am

Cool thank you...I'll get it up and running tonight I hope. Bad pics on the auction so I got a nice one for $8 including shipping.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am
Cool thank you...I'll get it up and running tonight I hope. Bad pics on the auction so I got a nice one for $8 including shipping.
Really curious to know what you think of it.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 am

I usually use a Bic. They're sold everywhere, after all. So ubiquitous are they, that I rarely have to actually have to buy one. I've found three on the sidewalk over the past month or so and commandeered them for my own use. Another brand I've always liked is Djeep. Those damn things last forever.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am

Bics work and work well, but I like using my old Zippo and thought the Nimrod looked cool...they don't do the job better, just with more old school charm.

PS I keep Bics in the truck, desk and other places as back ups in case my fluid is out or the flint is used up.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am
... I like using my old Zippo and thought the Nimrod looked cool...they don't do the job better, just with more old school charm.
I do not think the Nimrod works any better than the Zippo. I think the inverted channel that the base cover slides into creates an additional barrier to the fuel evaporation. The Nimrod needing a refill several days less often is the primary advantage as I see it.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am
... I like using my old Zippo and thought the Nimrod looked cool...they don't do the job better, just with more old school charm.
I do not think the Nimrod works any better than the Zippo. I think the inverted channel that the base cover slides into creates an additional barrier to the fuel evaporation. The Nimrod needing a refill several days less often is the primary advantage as I see it.
Curious. Don't all lighters, as long as they're functional, do the job equally well? The nimrod seals more tightly and doesn't have the vapor lock issues, otherwise, it is just a standard petrol lighter on the order of a Penguin or a Zippo. But the better fuel usage means I prefer it.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm

I still use the Old Boy and keep a Bic in the car as a back-up. The Old Boy is useless if theres even a mild breeze. I have over 300 Zippos that I inherited but I've never been a big fan for two reasons: 1) the fuel evaporates too fast, and 2) I have difficulty controlling the flame which results in charred rims.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm
I still use the Old Boy and keep a Bic in the car as a back-up. The Old Boy is useless if theres even a mild breeze. I have over 300 Zippos that I inherited but I've never been a big fan for two reasons: 1) the fuel evaporates too fast, and 2) I have difficulty controlling the flame which results in charred rims.
I've owned three Old Boys in my life. They all walked off. Dunhill ROLLAGASes don't, Oddly Enough. But I've learned with my pipemaster to jack the butane release in the wind. Might that have greater luck for you?

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:58 pm

I started with a wooden match, still a favorite as long as there is not much wind, then to a BIC or one of the other disposables (some just junk). Then when I bought a leather pouch, I bought the zippo and the shop engraved my initials and that has been the lighter. Its good in the wind, I only use Zippo fluid so not much if any smell or taste.

I got the Nimrod because of the experience of the Judge and Hugo and the way the lighter looks. Yup its like the pipes I smoke, they have to work, but there is more to it, I am an equipment guy...I like old school, classic and quality on the cheap. I get to have a quality tool, for small $$ and it has old school charm...count me in!
Scott ( aka - Thor )

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm
I've owned three Old Boys in my life. They all walked off. Dunhill ROLLAGASes don't, Oddly Enough. But I've learned with my pipemaster to jack the butane release in the wind. Might that have greater luck for you?
I like a gentle flame and I'm a frugal SOB so it would drive me crazy to watch all that fuel escaping all at once. I just do whatever I can to block the wind and if I can't I wait until it dies and give it another go.

I actually bought a Nimrod but haven't really gotten used to it. To me, it's better than a Zippo but still not quite as good as the Old Boy in my usual smoking (indoors or in the car) conditions.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 pm

A Zippo with a pipe insert is my go-to lighter.
It works in the wind.
When you turn it sideways to light the pipe the flame is controllable and doesn't char the rim.

They're cheap. I have two and paid about $12 for each.
Wicks and flints are readily available.
They're guaranteed for life.

I can live with the fuel evaporation.

I've also got two, inexpensive, Bentley refillable butane pipe lighters I've had for years that live in my pipe pouches. I'm not crazy about them, but they hold fuel indefinitely and they're small enough to not take up a lot of space in the pouch.

Matches are nice indoors.
Outdoors, they drive me crazy.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I won a Nimrod Admiral on eBay today.
:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:27 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm
I served under one once.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:27 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm
I served under one once.
I see what you did there.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am

Well the Nimrod is up and running. I used the drill bit, turning it with my fingers and cleared the flint channel.
Fluid and it lit right up. The flint spring will need a gentle stretching and the wick is old and very dry. It wouldn't light the next couple of tries. I cleaned the old soot off the insert and used a bodkin to perforate the wick and I filled the lighter with fluid. Its been sitting all weekend. I hit the wheel this morning and it fired right up. I'll do some polishing and then get pics up.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 am

Have any of you ever lit a bowl with a magnifying glass?
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 am
Have any of you ever lit a bowl with a magnifying glass?
I have not.

Hope that helps.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS