Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Post by Rusty » Sun May 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Wow. What a wealth of great responses/ answers. I am going to come back here often, and study through the posts and add a lot of this info to my pipe document file.
I'd like you to enlarge upon the notion that you opened with:
Goose55 wrote:I like the idea of a "sweet" pipe for the most enjoyment, and have seen some products advertised as "Pipe Sweeteners," but am wondering what some of you do to help keep your pipe clean and sweet.
There is a theory about pipe smoking in that statement concerning the effect of smoking and what it does to the pipe that motivates your notion of "clean smoke", "sweet smoke" and it even extends into the system pipes that you just purchased. I think you can't help but notice that many of us do not share the same idea of pipe smoking, which may be why you're getting advice that looks contrary to your desires. In your opening post there is an assumption that we are dealing with the same notion as you. It's not exclusively true, though some here might be doing the same thing as you. It's worth some discussion.

So why not enlarge upon your idea? Let's see what is behind it.
I'm not sure if I understand your suggestion correctly, but I will try and enlarge upon this idea of pipe "sweetness," or a "clean smoke."

When I created this thread, I did not know there were these easy to clean "system" pipes, like Falcon. I was looking at whether "pipe sweeteners" sold online, or Ever Clear were better at achieving my fledgling (an now perhaps erroneous) concept of "sweetness." To me, at the time of creating this thread I just deduced that if pipe and tobacco outlets sold "pipe sweeteners," then pipe sweetness must be something to be desired.

There's a lot of people, with a lot of experience here, in pipe smoking. And I am a student. I'm all ears. My venture into getting a Falcon pipe I think demonstrates that I do very much want to learn and am very glad I found this Forum.

And sticking with the adjective "sweet," I think, has a lot to do with the limited experience I have in tobaccos smoked,... being mainly aromatic. It's like I have been baptized by Captain Black white label Cavendish, from past memories of smelling others smoking it. Perhaps the Falcon will give me a better smoke with Captain Black, with the Falcon's "Humidome" feature of condensation and reducing most of the steam, and tongue bite.

And I do very much like the Falcon's easy to clean features, along with those removable Briar bowls.

This is all I have to say at this point as I don't want to ramble on. I will soon be reporting on what I find in the Falcon
I'm not acquainted with a Falcon pipe. I'm wondering if my impression of his comments about the Falcon "reducing most of the steam,(?) and tongue bite," is he is contributing a wet smoke (?) and tongue bite to the type of pipe, rather than the tobacco and how agressive he is puffing, rather than a relaxed gentle draw?

Could I request at least one response to my question here?
What kind of response do you want and from whom? I don't have a Falcon either and I've never smoked one nor do I plan to. I'm not Goose either.
Reading between the lines he's complaining about the usual things that new pipe smokers experience. This is fairly normal and we all experienced it. You can try the usual advice on him if you want. My understanding is that Goose is hoping that the pipe (and esp. keeping it scrupulously clean; it's not a coincidence that all this occurs in a pipe cleaning thread) addresses the difficulties. I doubt that but I think we have to let his current ideas run their course. Experience will result in improvement inevitably anyway. In the meantime he's open to any ideas that fit his current practice. He is certainly aware that there are a number of 'dirty pipe' smokers here and I'm not sure what he makes of that. In any case I don't know that the scrupulous pipe cleaning or its absence will make any difference at the stage he's at. So it's likely peripheral and perhaps irrelevant. Surprisingly we're not hearing a lot of questions about packing and that is much more likely to make a difference.

I'm curious what happened with the Magic Inch pipe and others that he might have purchased. I'd like to read a newby review on the virtues of the various pipes against expectation, esp. for new smokers.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Tatanka wrote:I'm not acquainted with a Falcon pipe. I'm wondering if my impression of his comments about the Falcon "reducing most of the steam,(?) and tongue bite," is he is contributing a wet smoke (?) and tongue bite to the type of pipe, rather than the tobacco and how agressive he is puffing, rather than a relaxed gentle draw?

Sure. I may be able to pose an answer.

The "humidome" that the Falcon bowl mounts to collects the moisture through condensation inside it, so that it does not travel into the stem. No gurgle. So, a drier smoke, and really, no need for filtration at all. I have never experienced tongue bite smoking my Falcon.

The only thing about the Falcon pipe is that the bowls are on the small size. But that can be an advantage if one just wants a shorter smoke once in a while. Really inexpensive pipe and bowls, too. They even have meerschaum bowls for it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Rusty wrote: I'm curious what happened with the Magic Inch pipe and others that he might have purchased. I'd like to read a newby review on the virtues of the various pipes against expectation, esp. for new smokers.
Magic Inch Pipe broke, trying to insert the stem and it was returned for refund.

Is that a "Carey" pipe? They are trying to sell those pipes but can't
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun May 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote: I'm curious what happened with the Magic Inch pipe and others that he might have purchased. I'd like to read a newby review on the virtues of the various pipes against expectation, esp. for new smokers.
Magic Inch Pipe broke, trying to insert the stem and it was returned for refund.

Didn't you think something named "Magic Inch" would come up short?
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Fainn wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Didn't you think something named "Magic Inch" would come up short?
A babe in arms I was then, and in many respects, still am.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Tue May 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tatanka wrote:I'm not acquainted with a Falcon pipe. I'm wondering if my impression of his comments about the Falcon "reducing most of the steam,(?) and tongue bite," is he is contributing a wet smoke (?) and tongue bite to the type of pipe, rather than the tobacco and how agressive he is puffing, rather than a relaxed gentle draw?

Sure. I may be able to pose an answer.

The "humidome" that the Falcon bowl mounts to collects the moisture through condensation inside it, so that it does not travel into the stem. No gurgle. So, a drier smoke, and really, no need for filtration at all. I have never experienced tongue bite smoking my Falcon.

The only thing about the Falcon pipe is that the bowls are on the small size. But that can be an advantage if one just wants a shorter smoke once in a while. Really inexpensive pipe and bowls, too. They even have meerschaum bowls for it.

I thank you kind sir! This is totally new to me. Never heard even the word Falcon bowl in anything I've read or heard.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Currently refurbishing some pipes for DL. Trying out the oxiclean stem treatment on a couple old pipes before I mess anything up. Pretty cool to watch the brown coming right off as they soak.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

vwdeano
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction

Post by vwdeano » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:58 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Currently refurbishing some pipes for DL. Trying out the oxiclean stem treatment on a couple old pipes before I mess anything up. Pretty cool to watch the brown coming right off as they soak.
Yep. Nifty to watch whatever weirdo chemical reaction goes on... Love taking a grimy stem back to decent looking.

go, man, go...
Dean
"A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself"

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:16 pm

What Is The Best Method?

Whatever method gives one the most good tobacco smoking enjoyment and satisfaction