Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Pipe smoker daguerreotypes

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:05 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am

These two men were likely what were referred to as Bowery Boys. Bowery Boys were something like a working class social clique and street gang in early nineteenth century New York. While they were all proud volunteer firemen, as their uniforms in this picture indicate, they often spent most of their time fighting with rival gangs and making spectacles of themselves. You'll notice that they're both smoking cigars held at a jaunty angle, another indication of their being Bowery Boys. It was apparently a great joke among them to say Save de' butt when you witnessed someone lighting a fresh cigar. I don't know why they thought that was funny but they did.

Another interesting fact: despite the fact that the Bowery Boys were comprised of working and lower class ne'er–do–wells, they were known to be frequent patrons of the theater and loved the plays of Shakespeare. In 1849 the Bowery Boys fomented a riot in which more than twenty people were killed. This riot was set off by the fact that a well known English actor had come to New York to mount a production of Macbeth and it was said that he thought he could do a better job of it than the American actors who were also doing a production of Macbeth at the same time in a different theater favored by the Bowery Boys and other working class New Yorkers. The Bowery Boys responded by invading the theater where the English actor was appearing during the performance, tearing the place apart, and nearly killing him on stage.

Something tells me that you latter day, working class, god bless 'Merica good ol' boys don't have the balls to love Shakespeare that much.
Fans of Edwin Forrest against Wm. Charles Macready in the Astor Place Riot. Trivia is my pursuit. And I wonder if George Macready was related.
ImageHere's a copy of a daguerreotype of Edwin Forrest that I keep on my wall at home. I keep it on my wall to remind me that the country I was born in was once great and was a land that I could be truly proud of. It was a land where a Shakespearean actor was the highest paid entertainer of his day. It was a land where potentates and peasants flocked to see him perform the works of the great masters because even the lowliest, struggling laborer knew that Shakespeare was something worth taking your time to appreciate.

That world is dead now and every pop drinking, Hormel eating, I'm just a simple country boy and god bless 'Merica 'cause it's so darn great and I don't cotton to no fancy book lernin' red blooded patriot is directly responsible for murdering it and I will never, ever, ever forgive this society for not having a place for another Edwin Forrest in it.

Incidentally, Edwin Forrest was extremely health conscious, far in excess of the standards of the early nineteenth century, and did not use tobacco in any form, so you are unlikely to find any daguerreotypes of him smoking a pipe. He was also a vegetarian. And a teetotaler. And he once publicly beat a man who displeased him with a whip in broad daylight in the middle of New York City.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 am

+JMJ+
A_Morley wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am

Incidentally, Edwin Forrest was extremely health conscious, far in excess of the standards of the early nineteenth century, and did not use tobacco in any form, so you are unlikely to find any daguerreotypes of him smoking a pipe.
Sumpin' tells me that Coco could "find" one.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Edwin Booth was a prodigeous pipe smoker.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:39 pm
As long as we're commenting on hair, I thought I might repost this one.
Hipsters of every generation re-invent hairstyles that, as it turns out, have usually been seen before.

Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.

Hope your lung re-inflates without issue, Morley. I have a compressor. Just call if you need it.
Pain definitely sucks. Perhaps a bad choice of words for a punctured lung.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm
Edwin Booth was a prodigeous pipe smoker.
He was indeed, though he came to public prominence after the era of daguerreotype dominance, hence my not including him. Here's a Carte de visiteof him smoking a pipe, all the same. I used it as my CPS avatar for a time.

Booth really did come to beat out Forrest as the public darling of the Shakespearean stage in the latter half of the nineteenth century. I'm probably much more like Booth than I am like Forrest, but, for some reason, I admire Forrest more. Image
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Auroraboy
Usher
Usher

Post by Auroraboy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 am

Very interesting and beautiful images-- thanks for posting.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:18 am

ImageI think the chap in the middle has a pipe in his mouth. It may be a cigar.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS