Pipe smoker daguerreotypes

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Pipe smoker daguerreotypes

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 am

The daguerreotype is another one of my passions. Amazing how the earliest photographic process still reigns supreme so far as resolution and image quality are concerned. The experience of seeing a daguerreotype in real life is a spookily transcendent experience as they are less like photographs than they are holograms.

Given that the daguerreotype reigned supreme for a period in the early nineteenth century in America, it is not surprising that there are more than a few specimens of portraiture depicting pipe smokers, such as this one:
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Pipe smoker daguerreotypes

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:21 am

It goes without saying that female pipe smokers were far more common at the time.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:37 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:39 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:45 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:46 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:49 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:50 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm
Beside from the hair style, I like everything about this picture.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm

+JMJ+
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Beside from the hair style …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for posting these. Interesting that the clay pipe seemed to reign supreme. It also took a long time for steel nib pens to edge out quills. From what I've read, quills just wrote better. I've tried both, and reserve opinion. The quill is a lot more work to keep it sharp. Kind of like straight razors; they're definitely a superior shaver, but a lot more effort to keep them sharp.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:49 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm
+JMJ+
FredS wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
It is, after all, entirely reasonable to expect people from previous centuries to have forgone having their likenesses reproduced through any means out of consideration of the fact that persons in times to come might find aspects of their appearance to be odd or shocking. They really should have taken more time to prognosticate what would have been considered an acceptable male hairstyle more than a century after they had died before they had their picture taken. Really, they should have.

The fact that so many of you dithering yahoos self-identify as traditionalists sickens me.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:31 am

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:49 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
FredS wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
It is, after all, entirely reasonable to expect people from previous centuries to have forgone having their likenesses reproduced through any means out of consideration of the fact that persons in times to come might find aspects of their appearance to be odd or shocking. They really should have taken more time to prognosticate what would have been considered an acceptable male hairstyle more than a century after they had died before they had their picture taken. Really, they should have.

The fact that so many of you dithering yahoos self-identify as traditionalists sickens me.
Meh. I feel the same about the style of my own hair and dress in pictures of myself from the 1970's.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:10 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:31 am
A_Morley wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:49 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
FredS wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Meh. I feel the same about the style of my own hair and dress in pictures of myself from the 1970's.
For my part, I didn't have any hair in the seventies, nor did I wear clothes.

To return to topic, here's a likeness of a chap I think we all can approve of, though he looks as though he didn't approve of much:

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am

These two men were likely what were referred to as Bowery Boys. Bowery Boys were something like a working class social clique and street gang in early nineteenth century New York. While they were all proud volunteer firemen, as their uniforms in this picture indicate, they often spent most of their time fighting with rival gangs and making spectacles of themselves. You'll notice that they're both smoking cigars held at a jaunty angle, another indication of their being Bowery Boys. It was apparently a great joke among them to say Save de' butt when you witnessed someone lighting a fresh cigar. I don't know why they thought that was funny but they did.

Another interesting fact: despite the fact that the Bowery Boys were comprised of working and lower class ne'er–do–wells, they were known to be frequent patrons of the theater and loved the plays of Shakespeare. In 1849 the Bowery Boys fomented a riot in which more than twenty people were killed. This riot was set off by the fact that a well known English actor had come to New York to mount a production of Macbeth and it was said that he thought he could do a better job of it than the American actors who were also doing a production of Macbeth at the same time in a different theater favored by the Bowery Boys and other working class New Yorkers. The Bowery Boys responded by invading the theater where the English actor was appearing during the performance, tearing the place apart, and nearly killing him on stage.

Something tells me that you latter day, working class, god bless 'Merica good ol' boys don't have the balls to love Shakespeare that much.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am

Tough talk for a man with one lung.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am
Tough talk for a man with one lung.
Yeah. Stupid of me to have opinions when I'm injured. I really should know better. Here's an interesting daguerreotype. Not only does it depict a pipe smoker, it depicts a pipe smoker from Oregon. This man was named Henry Bleeker and he was a butcher in Jacksonville, Oregon. I've been to Jacksonville. They have a lovely church there.

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:05 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am

These two men were likely what were referred to as Bowery Boys. Bowery Boys were something like a working class social clique and street gang in early nineteenth century New York. While they were all proud volunteer firemen, as their uniforms in this picture indicate, they often spent most of their time fighting with rival gangs and making spectacles of themselves. You'll notice that they're both smoking cigars held at a jaunty angle, another indication of their being Bowery Boys. It was apparently a great joke among them to say Save de' butt when you witnessed someone lighting a fresh cigar. I don't know why they thought that was funny but they did.

Another interesting fact: despite the fact that the Bowery Boys were comprised of working and lower class ne'er–do–wells, they were known to be frequent patrons of the theater and loved the plays of Shakespeare. In 1849 the Bowery Boys fomented a riot in which more than twenty people were killed. This riot was set off by the fact that a well known English actor had come to New York to mount a production of Macbeth and it was said that he thought he could do a better job of it than the American actors who were also doing a production of Macbeth at the same time in a different theater favored by the Bowery Boys and other working class New Yorkers. The Bowery Boys responded by invading the theater where the English actor was appearing during the performance, tearing the place apart, and nearly killing him on stage.

Something tells me that you latter day, working class, god bless 'Merica good ol' boys don't have the balls to love Shakespeare that much.
Fans of Edwin Forrest against Wm. Charles Macready in the Astor Place Riot. Trivia is my pursuit. And I wonder if George Macready was related.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne